Klipsch cherry veneer scratches

K5SS

Hello all! 

I happened to swing into a pawn shop that I frequent in my never ending search for Klipsch speakers. Low and behold, they have a RC-7, 2 RF-7's and a RSW-15 all in cherry. 

Here is my problem; they made me an offer that I can't really refuse but the cabinets have scratches from being moved multiple times. From what I can tell, none of the scratches are that bad but I am very particular about my equipment since everything is exposed in my living room. 

Just looking for some advise on covering up the majority of the scratches? What is a proven method?

I am pretty pumped about this deal so I will probably go in tomorrow to pick everything up if I can figure out a way to reduce the appearance of the scratches. I might even have them professionally stained down the road.

Thanks in advance! 

• Moderators

Oh man I just picked those things up for a song. Sorry about that bro...

LOL....you are bad Billy....so bad.  :lol:

Not sure about any "proven" ways of removing scratches from wood laminate. 

Here is my problem; they made me an offer that I can't really refuse

I'm bad....If it were me, if you haven't already agreed on a price, I would show up with cash in hand with less than they offered and see what they say and be prepared to walk out if they say no.  You can always come back with more money.  However if this deal is less than $1500, you might not even want to try and negotiate.  Just take the deal and run.

• Like 1

I am going to head back tomorrow for a more thorough evaluation but it appears that the scratches are on the veneer. I will snap a few pictures. 

I will probably end up buying them anyway, could be a fun refinishing project next summer. 

Are they scratches that penetrate the wood grain or a compression type of scratch where something dull worked the wood surface?

If penetrating, I might check into a crayon type wood filler that you can scrape into the surface and buff out a bit.

If compression, I might consider placing a towel over the scratches and use an iron to raise the indent.

I think either of those choices don't force you to do any major refinishing.

If compression, I might consider placing a towel over the scratches and use an iron to raise the indent.

I've used this technique successfully on a gunstock, but I've never attempted it on veneer. Note that the towel must be damp to generate the steam needed to raise the dent. I used a soldering iron, not a clothes iron.

Edit: the gunstock in my example was stripped of finish at the time I applied steam.

Edited by FuzzyDog

Hmm. I will have to do a little more reading but that sounds promising. 

It basically looks like movers or their previous owners just weren't careful handling them. I just hope I can live with the damage for a while. I would really love to bring them home tomorrow morning. 

I have never even heard the 3 models in person. 

I'd still prefer to find a local set of mint RF-63's but beggars can't be choosers;)

From reading your signatures and reviews, the Dean G mod is in my near future.

It will be fun testing my B&W ASW650, SVS 16-46 PCI and RSW-15 side by side by side. Fun days ahead.

I have decided to pass on the deal, just can't get over the damage. They are at Creighton's Pawn in Lynnwood WA. They just posted them on CL for $1,995 but they offered to sell them to me for $1,550, exactly what they paid for them 4 months ago. It is a great deal, just not for me. 

Someone go and buy them!