4K question?

totalcomfort

That was addressed in the article I posted.

I don't think so. The article touched on Blu Rays and the fact that Sony provided 10 movies in 4K with certain 4K capable purchases (probably upscaled anyway). It did not talk about programming providers like Direct and Dish or the collection of cable folks out there.

If you do a search for "Blu Ray 4K" on Ebay you will get over 400 results. So there are some movies out there in 4K. Around here we watch Dish Network HD mostly and at this time I haven't heard of any 4K offerings from them. 

I also wonder what the date of that article is. Of course, new technology info is very time sensitive.

• Moderators

Gotcha.  By "Providers of Programming" I assumed Bluray since I've never had cable, satellite etc. 

I thought that 10 movies in 4k was a representation of the general market as in very few movies.  While 400 is still a small number, that's still a descent amount of 4k material.  I would assume those 400 ebay results would have duplicate titles as well so that would lower that number, possibly considerably.

I also wonder what the date of that article is. Of course, new technology info is very time sensitive.

Another good point.

Boy JL, you are on top of your game today.  :D   Have a great day guys.

I saw my first 4K TV at Costco a couple of weeks ago. The picture was truly amazing, like looking through a window. However it was the only TV there not playing a movie available at Costco, it was showing some kind of demo video. Seems like this has a few years to go, at lest for me.

• Like 1

What time frame does everybody think 4k will get down to a more common mans

price??

About 5 years.  By then, the dust will have settled.  Dolby Atmos will have gone through some changes by then, too, to say nothing of Audyssey MultEq XT408.

It's a good pratice to stay away from stores, audio & HT magazines, and these forums for about 5 years after you complete a sound and video system.  You see how well I'm doing that.

Edited by Garyrc

I am at 120" now and will wait until I see a true 4k projector.

I am not buying into this until I see one, and also one that fits my budget.

I wonder who will demo them.  Has Panasonic gone 4K yet?  I think they have a demo projection room in Hollywood, but I don't think they have any 4K models.

I was in Best Buy this weekend and saw a slew of them.  There wasn't a display there that made me want to sell my KURO.   A lot of the images look fake or plastic compared to the KURO's natural looking picture.  Something else I noticed was their advertising for their calibration service.  It had 2 displays, one calibrated and one not.  You could obviously see the difference.  After that we walked over to a wall that had about 20 panels on it playing the same video feed.  None of the panels had the same colors as the one next to it.  So much for calibration.