Marantz Receivers

The History Kid

I am getting around to the point where I have intentions of starting to phase out use of my Yamaha receivers.  They've been good to me for the last 14 years, but I think it's time to move onto bigger and better things.

I hear a lot of talk about Marantz receivers, and have a couple of questions.

As power is not exactly an issue for me (I have receivers now that power 130 WPC, 80 WPC, and 75 WPC respectively), is it safe to go with similar wattage with the Marantz?  Will I notice anything different in power consumption?

Also, do low end Marantz receivers deliver higher quality as well as the top tier?  I'm not looking at some of the blazing line receivers as of yet (that will come when I have my own place).  Say for example the Marantz SR 5001 v. the Yamaha RX-V730 - is this still a step up or at least a side step?

Recommendations are also welcome.  We largely listen to music, but will be replacing three amps in three rooms (two of which run 5.1, and one that runs 7.1).

I was an onkyo man up until about 7 or 8 years ago, then I bought a Marantz SR 5002. the first thing I noticed was the increase of clean power. I think it matches real well  with my klipsch speakers. check out "accessories 4 less," they usually have some good deals on Marantz products.

I did have some technical problems about 4 years ago, but klipsch bent over backwards to find a qualified tech to fix it for me.

I guess I'm confused....no surprise there....but you say you want to move to "bigger and better" yet then ask about lower end Marantz.  If you mainly listen to music, keep your Yamaha for an HT setup, and get a tube amp for 2 channel.  What speakers are you driving mostly for music?

I guess I'm confused....no surprise there....but you say you want to move to "bigger and better" yet then ask about lower end Marantz.  If you mainly listen to music, keep your Yamaha for an HT setup, and get a tube amp for 2 channel.  What speakers are you driving mostly for music?

It's actually more of me that's confused, I'm still learning the difference between NR, SR, and AV lines.  That's where my confusion of what "lower end" is.  My budget isn't the largest either at this point - and probably won't expand to be any larger for quite some time.

The two main setups I'm looking at changing are the one 7.1, and the main 5.1.

The 7.1 is running RF-3 II's, RS-42 II's, RS-3 II's, and an RC-52 II.

The 5.1 is running Jamo E 4 SUR's, Cornet 175's, an E 6 CEN and Polk TSi100's (as Zone 2).

You know, rereading this...I don't think my goal was clear either.

I'd like to step up to something that...well...sounds better.  I've read a lot about how people like Marantz receivers (but I also read about the $2000 pricetag on most, hence why I can only assume a $500 receiver would be low brow).  I'd like to have something that can handle 2-ch just fine, but something that can deliver some immersive surround as well for movies.

Do my Yamaha's work fine?  Yeah...but they're also fairly old, two of them have faulty volume controls, and they're not handling any of the newer surround technologies very well - actually they're doing a rather poor job of it.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

I like the Marantz and Denon pairing with Klipsch. Nothing wrong with other brands, its like a Ford vs Chevy thing.   When it comes down to it, there is probably very few out there that could distinguish different brand AVR's when doing an A/B comparison.  Bench tests give a little info and show which has better SNR's and lower THD, but I think it mostly comes down to the features you want in an AVR.

• Like 1

Been considering a look at newer Marantz as well, say 2007+ For me the looks appeal and am curious about the sound. Sure sounds like some others here like them. Guessing the newer inherited that vintage warm sound like others sometime find in the Yamaha. For 2 channel, I do not know.

There may be a couple of Marantz out there with your name on them. :)

I got an Nak AV500 for a bargain...no wait that was from you... B)

Good Fortune and happy hunting!

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

Haha, right on Billy.

I've seen this coming for me honestly, for about 7 years or so now myself.  I really am not a fan of anything Yamaha has put out recently...seems like once they added HDMI they got rid of their middle ground receivers and either started making cheap crap, or pricey stuff that is honestly...well overpriced.

So I'm starting to get feelers out there for the next big thing. :)

Glad that Nak is workin' out for you too! :)

• Like 1

+1 for Marantz with Klipsch. I have a SR8500 that I have used with Chorus II, Quartet and KLF-10s. I prefer it over previously owned Pioneer, Sony ES and Onkyo AVRs. Currently it is just being used as a pre/pro as I am using an outboard Emotiva amp. For that reason I would certainly look for one with the pre outs.

I'm thinking of the SR7007 or 7008 - or equivalent at the moment for the main two rooms, and NR1403's for the smaller two rooms.  The last room will be the biggest change...I mean...seriously...anything would be a step up from an Aiwa shelf system. :lol:

• Like 2

I also purchased a Marantz NR1402 about 2 yrs ago for mine and my wifes bedroom system, and it has performed flawlessly. my bedroom is about 15' x 20' and it's driving a polk 5.1 system very well.

My 1402 has been relegated to the attic. It couldn't handle switching between stereo and Dolby 5.1 signals. If you were listening to a CD player in stereo then switched to TV, you'd have to turn the receiver off and back on before it would recognize the Dolby signal. POS...i get irritated just thinking about it.

I also purchased a Marantz NR1402 about 2 yrs ago for mine and my wifes bedroom system, and it has performed flawlessly. my bedroom is about 15' x 20' and it's driving a polk 5.1 system very well.

My 1402 has been relegated to the attic. It couldn't handle switching between stereo and Dolby 5.1 signals. If you were listening to a CD player in stereo then switched to TV, you'd have to turn the receiver off and back on before it would recognize the Dolby signal. POS...i get irritated just thinking about it.

No offense meant, but are you sure that it wasn't just a defective amp?  I've never heard of something like that happening before.

• Like 1

No offense meant, but are you sure that it wasn't just a defective amp?  I've never heard of something like that happening before.

It was probably just mine. Surely they can't all be that irritating.

• Like 2

I just use it for movies, so I never noticed that problem, sorry to hear.