It's Here!

BigStewMan

Guest Steven1963

He speaks yet again.  And yet again has nothing of substance to say.

as of September 30, there are 7,492 total cases in Africa, 3,439 resulting in death - and that's an environment  with extremely inefficient containment protocols. How do you extrapolate that to Hitler era genocide? FFS man.

Very easy.  In Africa, they travel much more by foot and villages are far apart.  In America, you may know, we travel by air in these sealed aluminum cans that if you sneeze in the people around you in a 15 foot diameter are likely to inhale what you just ejected through tiny droplets of moisture.  There are literally thousands of these flights everyday.  Add to that an incubation period of up to 21 days and someone who got sneezed on after this guy developed symptoms boards a plane and fly's to New York...develops symptoms and sneezes on 15 people.  Do the math for Gods sake.  It isn't rocket science. 

AND...Ebola presents like the flu.  Guess what season we are coming in to?  FLU SEASON.  So there may be more falst positives and there may be more people who don't go to the hospital because "all they think they have is the flu."  Our very efficient system of 'protocols' could likely be overwhelmed dealing with all of the reports of 'flu like symptoms.'  Heck, ONE guy walked into a Dallas hospital and told them he had just come from Africa and they sent him home!  And this is the system of protocols you are relying on?

You tell me if New Yorkers develop 15,000 cases of flu over the next few months if they are going to isolate each and every one of them?  Really? Test each of them for Ebola?  Now take into account Los Angelos and the other major metro cities....Jesus.  Do you know how many hospitals are equipped to fully isolate an Ebola victim much less a hundred presenting symptoms?  Do you think for one minute they aren't just going to send some of them home and 'hope' they only have the flu?

Additionally, The initial outbreak happened when? August 29.  So in just over a month in an area where air travel is rare and people are farther apart it went from one person to more than 7000! AND some sources estimate that by the end of the year it will be up towards 100,000 infections (I don't have the site handy).  Remember....that's where they don't have big cities and the don't travel by air as much as we do.

I'm happy to debate you on the merits and the facts.  But from you all I've seen from you so far is accusations of paranoia and an "oh geeze." 

If you've got more, Please bring it to the table! 

And this just in...I know it's not from one of your 'reputable' new sources, but what the hey...I'm just paranoid:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-08/2nd-dallas-patient-shows-ebola-symptoms-cbs-reports

Edited by Steven1963

• Moderators

Cancel a trip, no way,  unless it's to Liberia or Africa. (or any place that's mostly desert)

Leaving in a couple weeks for 7 days by boat going to 2 islands and Belize, could care less about all of this, if it catches up with me so what, you can only die once.  

I'm not going looking for trouble but not going to worry about it for 1 second.

Ebola,  I will be at the bar closest to the music.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Cancel a trip, no way,  unless it's to Liberia or Africa. (or any place that's mostly desert)

Leaving in a couple weeks for 7 days by boat going to 2 islands and Belize, could care less about all of this, if it catches up with me so what, you can only die once.  

I'm not going looking for trouble but not going to worry about it for 1 second.

Ebola,  I will be at the bar closest to the music.

I actually worry more about my children than myself.

• Moderators

I understand that, but really in the long run we control way less than we think we do. It can all be over in a blink, people only care so much, until it starts to affect them and at that point your expendable as far as the government and most everybody else on earth is concerned.

I gave up worrying, it got in the way of my don't give a dam attitude, it's been working for years now.  

see below 

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I understand that, but really in the long run we control way less than we think we do. It can all be over in a blink, people only care so much, until it starts to affect them and at that point your expendable as far as the government and most everybody else on earth is concerned.

I can't argue with any of that. But I'm of the sort that I'd rather go out swinging if going out means it isn't on my terms and it's because of someone elses ignorance/stupidity. 

He speaks yet again.  And yet again has nothing of substance to say.

as of September 30, there are 7,492 total cases in Africa, 3,439 resulting in death - and that's an environment  with extremely inefficient containment protocols. How do you extrapolate that to Hitler era genocide? FFS man.

Very easy.  In Africa, they travel much more by foot and villages are far apart.  In America, you may know, we travel by air in these sealed aluminum cans that if you sneeze in the people around you in a 15 foot diameter are likely to inhale what you just ejected through tiny droplets of moisture.  There are literally thousands of these flights everyday.  Add to that an incubation period of up to 21 days and someone who got sneezed on after this guy developed symptoms boards a plane and fly's to New York...develops symptoms and sneezes on 15 people.  Do the math for Gods sake.  It isn't rocket science. 

AND...Ebola presents like the flu.  Guess what season we are coming in to?  FLU SEASON.  So there may be more falst positives and there may be more people who don't go to the hospital because "all they think they have is the flu."  Our very efficient system of 'protocols' could likely be overwhelmed dealing with all of the reports of 'flu like symptoms.'  Heck, ONE guy walked into a Dallas hospital and told them he had just come from Africa and they sent him home!  And this is the system of protocols you are relying on?

You tell me if New Yorkers develop 15,000 cases of flu over the next few months if they are going to isolate each and every one of them?  Really? Test each of them for Ebola?  Now take into account Los Angelos and the other major metro cities....Jesus.  Do you know how many hospitals are equipped to fully isolate an Ebola victim much less a hundred presenting symptoms?  Do you think for one minute they aren't just going to send some of them home and 'hope' they only have the flu?

Additionally, The initial outbreak happened when? August 29.  So in just over a month in an area where air travel is rare and people are farther apart it went from one person to more than 7000! AND some sources estimate that by the end of the year it will be up towards 100,000 infections (I don't have the site handy).  Remember....that's where they don't have big cities and the don't travel by air as much as we do.

I'm happy to debate you on the merits and the facts.  But from you all I've seen from you so far is accusations of paranoia and an "oh geeze." 

If you've got more, Please bring it to the table! 

And this just in...I know it's not from one of your 'reputable' new sources, but what the hey...I'm just paranoid:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-08/2nd-dallas-patient-shows-ebola-symptoms-cbs-reports

Fair enough, I'll disengage from the discussion.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

haha.  Actually when my time comes (natural causes, I hope), I'm looking to check out my way.  No burden to my children or wife and no debts to some hospital where they don't give a damn anyway. 

haha.  Actually when my time comes (natural causes, I hope), I'm looking to check out my way.  No burden to my children or wife and no debts to some hospital where they don't give a damn anyway. 

Natural causes (to me) is normally associated with old age.  There will be plenty of burden and bills to go around.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Thad, wrap my speakers up in plastic if you don't mind.  You're too close to ground zero for me.

36.8 miles from the hospital, to be precise. :P

I hope you are taking precautions. Heck I'm 1500 miles away and I've already looked up masks on Amazon.  Yes, I admit to a little bit of paranoia...but $25 out of my pocket for some piece of mind is money well spent.

As everybody's mom used to say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

• Moderators
Thaddeus Smith, on 08 Oct 2014 - 4:10 PM, said:

CECAA850, on 08 Oct 2014 - 4:06 PM, said: Thad, wrap my speakers up in plastic if you don't mind.  You're too close to ground zero for me.

36.8 miles from the hospital, to be precise. :P

Up wind ? :P

Guest Steven1963

Natural causes (to me) is normally associated with old age.  There will be plenty of burden and bills to go around.

This I know.  But when it comes to that point I'll make my exit.  I've already told my kids that is the way it is going to be.  So they know.  I'm only 51.  If I can make it to 75 without too much trouble I'll consider it a success and leave on top.  I'll be able to leave the kids something that they won't immediately have to liquidate and give the the doctors.  they'll have to deal with the government about the rest.  Can't beat that one.

Edited by Steven1963

• Moderators
As everybody's mom used to say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

But my mom also thought is you went outside with damp hair you would get sick, of if you walked barefoot and it was cool and wet. At the end for her she got the attitude I have, or I got it from her ?

• Moderators
I'm only 51. If I can make it to 75 without too much trouble I'll consider it a success and leave on top.

I'm 57, and considering the lifespan of my father and his, I am calling it a success already. If that means 5 minutes or 20 years whatever happens is fine with me, until then I'm doing my thing, and I'm get good at it.

It would be nice to get past this next planned trip in a couple weeks. :emotion-19:  :emotion-46:  :emotion-29: