It's Here!

BigStewMan

I would hope my conscious would keep me from mass transport.  Thus keep me from infecting others, my family included. 

I'd rather die alone then risk my families health as they would be if they were to visit me.  Or I was to visit them.

Just my own feelings on the subject.

john

I feel the same way.

• Like 1

1st off, as far as I know, there are no epidemiology studies that truly map when ebola becomes infectious during the course of the disease.   The presumption is that it is not infectious until symptoms are evidenced.  But, a person with a chronically productive cough will expel mucous, etc........ consistently - and the very moment ebola is seeded in the blood in any concentration it will be passed out of the body via this mechanism.  

2ndly.......  we're relying on the patients to be accurate historians as to when they started having symptoms.  Well, they are not medically trained and in this instance it appears as though the man intentionally lied about his exposure to gain travel access to the west.  So would he also not lie about when he started having any symptoms?  In either case, the system in place is relying on rudimentary screening protocols to try and contain this organism.  Obviously this is inadequate.

The CDC is now tracking over 100 people they feel might have been exposed to ebola by this 1 victim.  If they miss 1 person - then they're down by another 100 people, etc.... ad infinitum.  Ever see the time lapse film of bacteria flourishing in a petri dish?  Imagine ebola loose in any American urban setting.  We are a highly mobile country.  We routinely travel great distances and often just for the fun of doing so.  They must end this one case and stop all others from migrating out of Africa this way.

And do not feel tons of confidence in our health care networks.  This one case demonstrates how vulnerable our systems are.  The staff are overworked, the facilities have nowhere near enough negative pressure isolation rooms for this sort of acute virulence.  Ebola will quickly overwhelm our care system and decimate whole population centers.  It is not a game - our gov't does not give it enough worry.  These ebola victims essentially melt away from the inside, then they die.  It requires the best of care to manage ebola successfully and the best facilities to treat patients safely.   

It does not require a massive exposure to ebola to get the illness.  Ebola is entirely new to the human immune system and very toxic.  

Guest Steven1963

Looks like they might have a case in D.C.

Maybe that will wake someone in charge up. I'm not holding my breath.

"Looks like they might have a case in D.C."

Well we can't seem to get everyone to vote out their incumbents so maybe this is a good alternative.

• Like 1

Well, international migration of the virus could certainly be prevented with stepping up safety precautions . . .

NOT!

Tired of studying The Ebola virus in test tubes and Petri dishes, the CDC had to be getting itchy for its first live Ebola patient . . . thus, the medical flight of an American patient hosting early signs of infection into the U.S. on the only medical isolation airplane of its kind . . .

A heroic effort by the CDC to save an American life? No . . . It was simply an opportunity to study the progression and treatment of the virus in a living host, what could have been done for him back in Africa . . . as the CDC and WHO still continue to do. When treated properly in Africa, 50% of patients survive. No treatment, only 10% survive.

It was simply unnecessary, save for the CDCs hunger to have a live host to study here on site here in Atlantaat HQ.

Am I thrilled he was saved? Absolutely! Could the CDC have done the same saving attempt at the origin of infection in Africa across the Atlantic near its source? Absolutely . . . they have been doing that and continue to do such now.

Remeber the Tuskeegee Experiment?

http://www.cdc.gov/tuskegee/timeline.htm

BTW . . . What ever happened to the Public Health Service? Well, it got a name change to the Cenetr for Disease Control & Precention (a.k.a. the CDC).

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/nndss/script/history.aspx

Where is Homeland Security on all of this? Probably handing out more free home fire detectors to the nation's fire departments to give away.

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2014/13/mm-senior-smoke-detectors-2014-03-28-bk_2014_13.html

Am I riled up against treating poor souls with Ebola whether they are in Africa or the US? No . . . God bless the health care workers and volunteers who go in to minister to any and everyone Ebola patient suffering nearly apocalyptic circumstance.

But I am calmly disturbed by the CDC's callousness toward the tax payers who fund their salaries and research in unnecessarily and purposely binging Ebola to U.S. Soil.

That felt good to get out.

Now, it should be "all hands on deck" and our prayers to every single person who contracts the disease, no matter its origin or current location.

Guest Steven1963
Now, it should be "all hands on deck" 

Wasn't it our President who just addressed the UN about this?

Isn't that the same guy who still hasn't decided that in the best interests of the Nation, we should ban anyone flying in from the infected countries?

But it's too late now.  They're here.  ITS here.  And now WE may have to pay the price for it.

You have to have leaders that have a full deck before you can have "all hands on deck."

My advice:  Start buying supplies NOW.  If you wait until THEY (the people who don't have a full deck) tell you to, it's too late.  The sh*t will already have been sold and supplies will be gone.

Worst is that you're out a few hundred bucks.  But you can always keep it on the shelf for next time.

Edited by Steven1963

• Moderators
Make that 2 possible in the DC area

They should set up beds in the White House and Capital building, if more room is need each Congress man and Senator should take one home. It would stop the spread but it would still help the country in the long run.

• Like 2

I'm just waiting for some dope from one of the alphabet agencies to say that fear of ebola is racist. <_<

i was thinking that same thing--once i read someone complaining because it was said that african killer bees were aggressive…this person was claiming it was racist since the bees came from africa.

Guest Steven1963

Good riddance.  I'm just a bit upset about the fact that this man knowingly boarded a plane and came over here after being exposed to this virus. I'm even more upset that in 3 weeks I am flying to cancun for vacation and I have a 4 hour layover in Houston going down and coming back.  All paid for and non-refundable.  And now I have to consider NOT going because of the possibility he left a present with everyone he came in contact with down there.

And before you comment that I should be fine because it isn't airborn and I'd have to actually come into contact with an infected persons body fluids...let me say to you:  Fine. then you stand in the same room with someone infected and prove it first, as they hack and throw up all around you.  Those doctors and nurses treating the infected in full body protection with respirators should be telling you something other than what the government is telling you.

I don't believe the CDC (government).  I think as a whole they are trying to keep panic down because it would interfere with commerce.  I have little faith in my government to tell me the truth about anything.

Edited by Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

I don't believe the CDC (government).  I think as a whole they are trying to keep panic down because it would interfere with commerce.  I have little faith in my government to tell me the truth about anything.

yay for hyperbole.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-08/we-cant-exclude-possibility-ebola-can-spread-through-air-expert-warns