It's Here!

BigStewMan

And so it begins,  We now question why this man died and others did not,  Family claiming discrimination

who would have thought.  Wonder how big the law suit will be

He didn't get an experimental drug immediately

Duncan received experimental medicine on October 4 -- six days after admission to the hospital. It was a far longer wait thanfour other Ebola patients treated in the United States. Those patients -- two each at Atlanta's Emory University Hospital and the University of Nebraska Medical Center -- got experimental medicine immediately. They're all U.S. citizens; Duncan was a Liberian.

His family is claiming bias.

"We feel he didn't get the medicine and treatment for the disease because he's African and they don't consider him as important as the other three," said Josephus Weeks, his nephew.

Not so, the hospital says.

Link to the whole article:       http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/09/health/ebola-duncan-death-cause/index.html

Edited by joessportster

Guest Steven1963

Perhaps there was bias, but that's fine...he wasn't American!

And before all the bleeding hearts respond: We cannot possibly take care of the world with our medical system.  In life, some benefit more than others; sometimes that is due to personal wealth or who you know.  In this case, it *may* be due to his citizenship status.  In a nutshell, life is not fair.  Deal with it.

Being an American used to mean something; special privilege and all that gobbledy ****.  Now, We cannot even agree to speak our own language in our own country, even though it is recognized around the world as the universal language. 

I know many would say that we should help our fellow man.  And I know damn well that same person drove by a homeless man in the last week and avoided eye contact.

Edited by Steven1963

• Moderators
Steven1963, on 09 Oct 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

Perhaps there was bias, but that's fine...he wasn't American!

And before all the bleeding hearts respond: We cannot possibly take care of the world with our medical system.  In life, some benefit more than others; sometimes that is due to personal wealth or who you know.  In this case, it *may* be due to his citizenship status.  In a nutshell, life is not fair.  Deal with it.

Being an American used to mean something; special privilege and all that gobbledy ****.  Now, We cannot even agree to speak our own language in our own country, even though it is recognized around the world as the universal language. 

I know many would say that we should help our fellow man.  And I know damn well that same person drove by a homeless man in the last week and avoided eye contact.

Your right, we can not take care of the world, we really even take care of everyone here.

And yes being an American meant something at one time, now many millions are sent out to countries who would rather see us all dead instead of helping people here. It's not really anything new but cutbacks and prices are hurting older people who have worked all there lives and now have to decide what is more important, there medicine, food, electricity or other bills.

What the government forgets it THEY are the EMPLOYEE, without people paying taxes they are all out of work. 

The article says that Duncan was treated the same as everyone else. 

I do not wish upon or take joy in his death. 

But at the same time, if the impression in Africa is that if you lie and come here to be cured you will be cured, they need to know the reality.  If you have no insurance, you will not be taken care of, no matter who you are, and even if you have insurance, they may not cover you because insurance companies will look for any excuse not to cover you.  We have a terrible system in place, others should know just how bad it is if they think thatthey will be cured here.

The level of care extended to this man and the concerns being given to those he exposed exemplifies what America is about.  We care far more than we can really afford.  Every natural disaster proves that.  We are there 1st with the most.  Always.  That this mans fiance is finding criticisms is what worst about some peoples character.  Putting themselves 1st, making issues where no issues exist.  Looking to profit from the misery of others.  I do hope for her sake that she does not contract the Ebola virus.  If she does, she'll get the best care America can provide.  If she lives maybe then she'll express her thanks.......... maybe.  

The level of care extended to this man and the concerns being given to those he exposed exemplifies what America is about.  We care far more than we can really afford.  Every natural disaster proves that.  We are there 1st with the most.  Always.  That this mans fiance is finding criticisms is what worst about some peoples character.  Putting themselves 1st, making issues where no issues exist.  Looking to profit from the misery of others.  I do hope for her sake that she does not contract the Ebola virus.  If she does, she'll get the best care America can provide.  If she lives maybe then she'll express her thanks.......... maybe.  

Very well put….thank you sir.

• Like 1

You are spot on … i would suggest that we accept the possibility that she could be speaking out of emotion and after the shock wears off, she may feel embarrassed about things that she’s said. Crisis are a difficult time to determine a person’s character. While some rise to the top and we marvel at it, others struggle to keep their heads above the proverbial water. Don’t know about you; but, i’ve lashed out at people during an emotional time and had to return, hanging my head in shame, and asking forgiveness for what i had previously said. Thank God, i hold my tongue more often now and i try to stop and think about what the other person is enduring before i form my opinion. Some times, people end up being selfish jerks after all. i hope that isn’t the case here. 

Don’t know about you; but, i’ve lashed out at people during an emotional time and had to return, hanging my head in shame, and asking forgiveness for what i had previously said. Thank God, i hold my tongue more often now and i try to stop and think about what the other person is enduring before i form my opinion.

Well said.

A health care provider in Texas has now been diagnosed with Ebola.  They're keeping a lid on the details at this time.  This was a person who interacted with Duncan.  If it was during his initial ER visit, then we now have some idea of how infectious he was then and some idea of how many he has exposed to the virus.

Dominoes..........  

Read yesterday that a television network crew’s cameraman has ebola and the crew was put on 21-day voluntary quarantine and that one of the crew violated the quarantine.  Heard today that TMZ reports that it was the crew’s doctor nonetheless, who allegedly violated the quarantine to visit a local NJ eatery for some soup. Any forum members that have lived abroad, i’d like your opinion … are American’s too spoiled to adhere to a voluntary quarantine or is this action just basic human selfishness applicable to all people?

Edited by BigStewMan

Just read the update with the nurse that is now infected, stated she only had contact with 1 person while she had symptoms, How does a nurse in direct contact with the virus not know she may have the virus.

This is how it will snowball into a crisis here People so caught up in there own little worlds. They seem to care less how there actions affect others.

See it every day on smallish scales at the store on the street at the schools......................This is the thing that convinces me my sons will have to deal with a major societal issue in there life times..............................There seems to be very little feeling of community around now

I do not advocate communism and that is not what I am talking about, I am speaking about the common courtesy that used to be shared in this country.

Read yesterday that a television network crew’s cameraman has ebola and the crew was put on 21-day voluntary quarantine and that one of the crew violated the quarantine.  Heard today that TMZ reports that it was the crew’s doctor nonetheless, who allegedly violated the quarantine to visit a local NJ eatery for some soup. Any forum members that have lived abroad, i’d like your opinion … are American’s too spoiled to adhere to a voluntary quarantine or is this action just basic human selfishness applicable to all people?

I think a lot of Americans have a feeling of entitlement, They persue that damn the consequences.  Which I guess sort of equals selfishness.  I lived in Germany for 3 years at which time I really did not notice a big difference between the way they lived, and we lived

Perhaps as I get older I just notice it more but I see more of that behavior as I get older

• Like 1

Just read the update with the nurse that is now infected, stated she only had contact with 1 person while she had symptoms, How does a nurse in direct contact with the virus not know she may have the virus.

This is how it will snowball into a crisis here People so caught up in there own little worlds. They seem to care less how there actions affect others.

See it every day on smallish scales at the store on the street at the schools......................This is the thing that convinces me my sons will have to deal with a major societal issue in there life times..............................There seems to be very little feeling of community around now

I do not advocate communism and that is not what I am talking about, I am speaking about the common courtesy that used to be shared in this country.

Because she didn't have any symptoms. As a precaution her and several of her coworkers have been monitoring their temps multiple times a day.

Pointing a finger at this woman considering what she does every day for a living is beyond bizarre. What would you of had her do, live in an isolation bubble when not on the hospital floor caring for people? How about her coworkers, what would you do about them???

I dont the way things are going, we should ban all travel untill this can be eliminated.

That's it, anyone coming here from there, spends two weeks on Ellis Island.

The CDC and the Administration won't have it. They obviously have other priorities.

I dont the way things are going, we should ban all travel untill this can be eliminated.

That's it, anyone coming here from there, spends two weeks on Ellis Island.

The CDC and the Administration won't have it. They obviously have other priorities.

In theory this sounds like a good solution; however, i can envision scenarios where this complicates the problem. I’ve read that one of the concerns with that course of action is countries not cooperating and even concealing information so they don’t get put on our restricted list. If travel is banned, the result would be counties that can’t deal with the disease being left to die.  I would guess the best hope is the world mobilizing and helping eradicate this outbreak where it began … in West Africa.  They just can’t deal with it--they need help and until it’s resolved there, we’ll remain in varying stages of danger.

Edited by BigStewMan

The CDC has confirmed the new case in Texas is Ebola......... and now there's a another suspected case in isolation in Massachusetts.  Again this is a recent traveler from Liberia who was asymptomatic but now demonstrates clear signs of a systemic infection.   The screening criteria is just too lenient and reliant upon individual accounts.  

Hopefully the world will eventually manage Ebola and learn from the experience.  Humanity has become far too complacent about infectious diseases because modern medicine has kept them so well controlled.  The recent 'controversy' over vaccinations is ludicrous IMHO.  I've seen kids with acute whooping cough - the terror in their eyes is haunting.  

Because she didn't have any symptoms. As a precaution her and several of her coworkers have been monitoring their temps multiple times a day.

Pointing a finger at this woman considering what she does every day for a living is beyond bizarre. What would you of had her do, live in an isolation bubble when not on the hospital floor caring for people? How about her coworkers, what would you do about them???

"Varga said the health care worker reported a fever Friday night as part of a 
self-monitoring regimen required by the CDC."

"Health officials have interviewed the patient and are identifying any contacts or 
potential exposures. They said people who had contact with the health care worker after symptoms 
emerged will be monitored based on the nature of their interactions and the potential they 
were exposed to the virus."

There is another article stating they are locating 1 person that had contact after symptoms,  I applaud the medical field and all they do, There knowledge is extensive and exactly why I would hold them to a higher standard...................Nothing Bizarre about it

I would have them isolated you bet,  21 days in there lives VS the possible outbreak of Ebola in the us  sounds like a fair trade to me

Seems so simple keep his treating team to a minimum (which I am sure they did) and they stay in an isolation room as well getting paid 24-7 for 21 days, 
Edited by joessportster