It's Here!

BigStewMan

Just kill him now for the sake of real non infected americans.  It is a foreign disease and any potential carrier is a proxy for foreign infection.

Feeling a bit rowdy tonight my friend?  I hear what you’re saying.  Take a deep breath and read a good poem ”the autumn wind is a Raider."

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Teach me how!

Nothing to teach really, I never thought I would make to 57, so now the rest is all extra.

Really what do we control, very very little. When the poop hit's the fan and there is no police, fireman, grocery stores electricity or gas for the cars, money does no good. We found out how all that works about 8 years ago, for about a month. We were somewhat prepared, and definitely ready to defend ourselves, but how far does that get you in the long run, not far.  

And this is just without the conveniences we are use to, not some type of outbreak. Something like that month makes you realize how dependent we really are, people 100 years ago were more prepared, were pampered.

• Moderators

Just kill him now for the sake of real non infected americans.  It is a foreign disease and any potential carrier is a proxy for foreign infection.

Does anyone remember the movie Outbreak about 20 years ago, in the movie the government was going to drop a bomb and turn a whole town in Africa (a guess) into dust to contain the outbreak. It was just a movie but I have no doubt they would do something like that, and if were to save the rest of the earth it would make sense.    

Does anyone remember the movie Outbreak about 20 years ago, in the movie the government was going to drop a bomb and turn a whole town in Africa (a guess) into dust to contain the outbreak. It was just a movie but I have no doubt they would do something like that, and if were to save the rest of the earth it would make sense.    

Dustin Hoffman right?  Yeah, I remember  it.  Of course I'm an excellent driver.

• Like 1

Oldtimer, tell your friends it’s safe now … i don’t think the government will blow up the levees again anytime soon  :D 

Heard a guy on the radio telling about how this other guy saw govt people planting dynamite … the host asks him if the guy told him that and the guy replied “no, he died when they blew up.”  I guess he managed to tell his story first.

​Elden … did you experience storm damage or just the mass hysteria afterwards?  I imagine things got really dicey in some places.

Edited by BigStewMan

• Moderators

The curse of technology eh dtel? 

It really is, we are extremely dependent and it's only going to get worse. Not that I don't like the conveniences, but it is really scary how needy we are.

We found out how all that works about 8 years ago, for about a month.

a famous hurricane? 

Yes, considering we were not where it flooded, we did fine.  

It was really interesting and cool in some ways.

The first thing that you realize is there are no police, they ran out of gas in like one day, your own your own. Then it's be ready to defend yourself because everyone knows there is no police, even the bad guys. We never had a problem but were ready

Cool part, no electricity for a couple hundred miles in any direction, the night sky was amazing. It was so quiet at night you could hear anything move 200' away, which was a good thing.

Cool part, no electricity for a couple hundred miles in any direction, the night sky was amazing. It was so quiet at night you could hear anything move 200' away, which was a good thing.

shameful that i don’t remember what time of year this happened … early summer wasn’t it … June?

imagine no ATM machines either?  How did you store your food for so long? 

All we get are earthquakes and fires around here … and we haven’t had a major quake in a long while.  If more than two drops of rain fall within a 24-hour period, we go on “Storm Watch.” The Southern California weather media are so embarrassing.

Edited by BigStewMan

• Moderators
BigStewMan, on 08 Oct 2014 - 8:58 PM, said:BigStewMan, on 08 Oct 2014 - 8:58 PM, said:

Oldtimer, tell your friends it’s safe now … i don’t think the government will blow up the levees again anytime soon  :D 

Heard a guy on the radio telling about how this other guy saw govt people planting dynamite … the host asks him if the guy told him that and the guy replied “no, he died when they blew up.”  I guess he managed to tell his story first.

​Elden … did you experience storm damage or just the mass hysteria afterwards?  I imagine things got really dicey in some places.

Neither, no storm damage which was a real shock, really I was in shock I just walked around the house looking in amazement. I don't know how that happened, we are 10 miles from the interstate, there were about 2-3 power poles standing over 10 miles, there were no leaves left on trees that were left standing, here was sustained 140 mph winds, all day. We were far from where the real damage was. There were probably 5-6 blocks or more of houses on the Gulf coast that were gone, washed back half a mile because of storm serge, just leaving the cement slab, all the way into Alabama.

Where we are away from flooding and city's there was not hysteria but just a serious realization of your on your own, it was a relief when the National Guard came in, there was always a worry that people from the city's would head out of town looking for food or whatever, which they would have none. there not going to just stand there and starve. 

You friend picked a really bad time to come down here. I would not have wanted to be in any city down here at that time.

Michael Colter came down here well over a year later not knowing if there was anything still destroyed, he was shocked as we went through whole sections of town and suburbs of N.O. driving all day through much of the area to find no one, only flooded and washed away houses. He got to go inside my mothers house which had 8' of water for over a month. We were going to bring him to the Mississippi coast to see where the serge damage was which was completely different but he had enough, it does take a while to adjust to it.

About the levee being blown up is BS, I would guess, the water was so high it was going to break no matter what happened, it's was amazing it lasted as long as it did. Where it broke in the 9th ward (where I grew up) it's a dirt levee probably 20' tall with sheets of corrugated steal as pilings probably 8' tall on top of the levee. The water was at the top of the steal pilings, no way it could hold. There were also rumors a barge broke loose and hit the pilings, either way it was going to break.

Edited by dtel

sounds like quite a tough period of time.  glad you and your house were spared.  

yeah, i heard that the Army Corps of Engineers had said been saying those levees were weak for years … in fact they said on the radio that the past four presidential administrations had been warned about them. 

I guess a person just adapts or endures during a crisis like that.  Hopefully you don’t have to endure it again.

Edited by BigStewMan

• Moderators

It was different, but it makes you appreciate things, like good luck and not being in the wrong place.  :D

I would go through it again, compared to a tornado or bad earthquake, at least we get a warning, and if your stupid enough to not listen you have do deal with it, but you do get that warning.

Tornados or earthquakes are almost instant, no way to avoid them, you only have minutes or seconds.

To get back to the subject, Ebola or something similar is like finding out it's to late by your first symptom.

Non citizens have never had the right to vote.  If you admire Japan, go live there.  They love foreigners as you have so pithily pointed out.  One bad apple from anywhere can spoil a lot of parties.  What native American tribe are you 100% of to judge the cutoff of who gets to pursue the American dream?  Criminals should be prosecuted because they are criminals.  Yes?  The country was set up to be governed by the rule of law.  You do understand that I hope.

I will entertain your comment and opinion on mine, but don't you put words in my mouth.  If you think everything is smooth sailing right now, wait 5 or 10 years when something really catastrophic happens from these death lovers (again) on our soil and then maybe you'll agree drastic changes should have happened sooner.  But then again, you may not.

X2 on the sky, you could see everything.  It was grey with stars.  The freaky thing to me was walking around outside at night when there was little or no moon.  You could turn your flashlight off and not see your hand or arm.  It was SO dark.  The quiet was weird too.  You never realize how much ambient noise there is till it's gone, very eerie.

• Moderators
CECAA850, on 09 Oct 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

dtel, on 08 Oct 2014 - 9:22 PM, said: Cool part, no electricity for a couple hundred miles in any direction, the night sky was amazing. It was so quiet at night you could hear anything move 200' away, which was a good thing.

X2 on the sky, you could see everything.  It was grey with stars.  The freaky thing to me was walking around outside at night when there was little or no moon.  You could turn your flashlight off and not see your hand or arm.  It was SO dark.  The quiet was weird too.  You never realize how much ambient noise there is till it's gone, very eerie.

Exactly, we would walk out to the driveway and stand on the side of the cars, turn off the light and you could not see the car in front of you, or your hand in front of your face.

shameful that i don’t remember what time of year this happened … early summer wasn’t it … June?

imagine no ATM machines either?  How did you store your food for so long? 

All we get are earthquakes and fires around here … and we haven’t had a major quake in a long while.  If more than two drops of rain fall within a 24-hour period, we go on “Storm Watch.” The Southern California weather media are so embarrassing.

It was the end of Aug, an ATM would have done no good, there was nothing to buy. We had some canned things and a bunch of MRI's, we also keep a cast iron 3 burner stand that runs off of propane for cooking/warming food just for emergencies. 

It was just plan luck, it was hot and we had all the windows open, a day or so later a cool front passed and it was nice (not as hot) at night for a few weeks which helped a lot.

We had about 30 gallons of gas and a generator, which was used very sparingly. For the first week we used water out the backyard pond to shower, it was brought in in 5 gallon buckets and you would shower by candlelight. You could also pour water in the toilet tank and flush it normally. The pond is about 1.5 acres and as bad as a shower with pond water sounds it was  really appreciated and felt great.  After the first week I wired the generator to the well pump and had a car battery with a normal light bulb but 12V to use in the house. We would turn on the one light and start the generator and everyone would start taking turns in the shower and then eat, cold water only which speeds things up considerably, then it was back to candlelight. 

After a while the National Guard came into our little town, the brought Ice and more MRI's, you could go to town and in your car drive up and they would put it in the trunk. Want to know what marshal law is like, you stop on the side of the road and open your trunk, then you drive up to the guys with the automatic weapons and do not get out the car, you do as your told. When you pull up you are at gunpoint, they throw something in the trunk and close it and you drive off. You don't say a word, just follow directions, it was the first time I have ever had a bunch of military people pointing automatic rifles at me, one trip was enough. My son in law worked for the city water dept. so they were trying to get things ready for when they got electricity, when they got paid at the end of each week it was done in a city building heavily guarded and at gunpoint and they were paid in cash, which was crazy since there was nothing to buy. I do understand all the security, they were the law and were responsible and actually welcomed.   

We were told by the crews from the power company it may take a couple of months to get power back because there was a pole shortage because so many were needed, they were coming in from all over the North East mostly. These guys from all over country did and unbelievable job, in about 3 weeks many people had power back which was hard to believe.  

That brings back memories dtel.  We were lucky enough to have a pool and dipped water out of the pool to fill the toilet tanks so they'd flush.  We kept a pail in the bathroom.  If you emptied the bucket, you fill it for the next person.  Even though there was no running water or electricity, we still had a land line.  When the generator ran, we had internet and could see what the progress was around us.  Once neighbors found out we didn't evacuate we started getting calls to clean out freezers.  We were told to keep whatever was still frozen and throw everything else away.  I must have broken into over a half a dozen houses and never actually broke anything.  We bbq'd every night as I had filled both propane tanks prior to the storm.  For the first couple days we could rinse off in the pool but it wasn't long before it started turning green from no circulation and the tremendous amount of leaves that ended up there.

Fun times.

• Like 1

I remember the movie, But they were in the USA talking about blowing up a town, the virus was spread by a monkey that was illegally brought into the USA from africa.  The Smuggler was bitten when he tried to sell the monkey the buyer backed out and he released the monkey, he got sick infecting his girlfriend etc...etc...etc...

• Like 1