It's Here!

BigStewMan

I just read this today:   "The New York Times said Duncan, in his mid-40s, helped transport a pregnant woman suffering from Ebola to a hospital in Liberia, where she was turned away for lack of space. Duncan then brought her back to her family’s home and carried her into the house, where she later died, the newspaper reported."   OK, using the rule of believe half of what you see and none of what you hear, if this is actually true, the ebola patient's actions of knowingly being exposed to an ebola patient and then getting on a plane is criminal.    Apparently he did not want to cancel his vacation plans.  Gee, you don't want to be inconvenienced and have to delay your trip right after you have just been exposed to one of the most deadly diseases in the world.  It looks like the limitless feeling of self entitlement extends well past the USA's borders.  This is disgusting behavior and he is personally responsible for anyone who is infected by him

i think i'm going to agree with you 100%.  As a germaphobe, i'm very cautious when I'm sick because the thought of passing it on to others is too huge for my ultra-sensitive conscience.

However, is there any indication that he was aware that she had ebola and how it transfers?  Is he a US resident visiting Liberia, or a Liberian visiting Texas? I ask because some people i encounter are clueless on health & safety issues. I'm trying to figure out if the guy is ignorant or reckless?

Edited by BigStewMan

Diseases have to be faced in today's world and closing borders, setting up isolation camps, ect. don't really work.  Duncan is a good example of how a vector can spread.  With air flights, a disease on one side of the world can be transported to the other side in less than a day.  The world really is not that big when it comes to spreading infectious diseases.  The faster we accumulate knowledge, the faster we can stop the associated morbidity and mortality.

Edited by derrickdj1

How did he get out of the country after being exposed to someone?  Didn't anyone at the Liberia airport or US customs ask him?

If they're examining folks at all yet ... probably just checking their temperature and looking for visible symptoms--think that's what they did during the SARS outbreak. For the life of me, i can't figure out how this guy could have exposed himself like that and then went about his business as normal.  I came to work one morning and a co-worker was at my desk using my phone...after he hung up, i greeted him and asked how he was doing.  He said that he was fine; but, couldn't shake this cold that he has.  I went ballastic...you have a cold and you're using my phone when your office is directly across the hall. Then don't even get me started on people that cough into their hands and then touch everything...actually was in a fast food drive through two weeks ago. Ordered an iced tea. I watched the girl preparing it...her thumb was inside the cup and tea was actually hitting her thumb as it pour into the cup.  And this is a professional food server?

Edited by BigStewMan

He's a Liberian national visiting the US. News reports indicate that at least one of the kids is his. So, if:

you think you've been infected by having contact with a known ebola patient,

and you live in a country being decimated by ebola,

and you watch the news and see all of the privileged white doctors being shipped back and cured in America,

and you already have family in America,

and you already have travel plans, or can quickly make them, to America,

and you think the absolute best case scenario is that you die trying to be cured in a 1st world country,

and you're not currently exhibiting symptoms...

would you not also try to preserve your own life and seek the best possible treatment? or at least die with family near by? the worst punishment he can receive is that he dies anyway. i'm not in his head, and i certainly don't know all the facts, and it certainly doesn't justify his actions and potential ramifications, but maybe it explains them. and I have to wonder if I'd do it any differently if I were in his shoes.

Edited by Thaddeus Smith

oh yeah ... this is a classic example of how patient zero can spread a disease quickly.  His flight went to brussels, then Washington then Dallas.  Supposedly he wasn't contagious during travel time; however, what if he had been--he could have easily exposed people in all those places not counting fellow airline passengers and wherever they went on this globe.  The Last Ship on TNT ... it's not all that far-fetched.

He's a Liberian national visiting the US. News reports indicate that at least one of the kids is his. So, if:

and you watch the news and see all of the privileged white doctors being shipped back and cured in America,

and you think the absolute best case scenario is that you die trying to be cured in a 1st world country,

would you not also try to preserve your own life and seek the best possible treatment? or at least die with family near by? the worst punishment he can receive is that he dies anyway. i'm not in his head, and i certainly don't know all the facts, and it certainly doesn't justify his actions and potential ramifications, but maybe it explains them. and I have to wonder if I'd do it any differently if I were in his shoes.

You're 100% correct in that thinking--those things may very well be what led him to do this. Like you, I don't know what I'd do; but, I'd hope I wouldn't do it. Even if I came to America and got the cure--how horrible would the rest of my life be knowing that i spread it others...some that didn't make it. That's a fate worse than death in my opinion.

• Like 1

Didn't anyone at the Liberia airport or US customs ask him

wouldn't surprise me if the answer is no. I read last night that he was released from a Dallas Emergency Room even AFTER telling them that he'd been in an infected area. 

Edited by BigStewMan

I would hope my conscious would keep me from mass transport.  Thus keep me from infecting others, my family included. 

I'd rather die alone then risk my families health as they would be if they were to visit me.  Or I was to visit them.

Just my own feelings on the subject.

john

• Like 2

• Moderators
BigStewMan, on 02 Oct 2014 - 1:55 PM, said:

tigerwoodKhorns, on 02 Oct 2014 - 12:47 PM, said: Didn't anyone at the Liberia airport or US customs ask him

wouldn't surprise me if the answer is no. I read last night that he was released from a Dallas Emergency Room even AFTER telling them that he'd been in an infected area. 

Now there saying there is a form to fill out before being allowed to fly out from there which ask questions to prevent this, and he lied on the form, now Liberia is going to prosecute him, if he lives I guess ?

Now there saying there is a form to fill out before being allowed to fly out from there which ask questions to prevent this, and he lied on the form, now Liberia is going to prosecute him, if he lives I guess ?

read an article today that said they want to prosecute because they want to set a precedent to prove to the world that they’re serious about public safety and they don’t want to lose flights to their country.  Article also said that the lady he helped was pregnant and he thought her illness was related to her pregnancy.  i normally wouldn’t believe it thinking that if someone had ebola you should be able to tell that there is something seriously wrong; but, since that ER examined him and released him, i guess that isn’t the case…so we probably shouldn’t expect him to know.  

Edited by BigStewMan

• Moderators

Your right but I think they said it asked if they were in contact or around anyone sick in x amount of days, or something like that. 

But it's still just a form which anyone can answer however they want, like this guy.

this is going to get bad fast I would think, now there are many out there who have no idea if they have been around anyone who is sick and some have.

Reminds me of the 1995 movie outbreak.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

When an infection does occur in humans, the virus can be spread in several ways to others. Ebola is spread through direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with

• blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, feces, vomit, and semen) of a person who is sick with Ebola
  • objects (like needles and syringes) that have been contaminated with the virus
  • infected animals
  • Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, food. However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/

oh yeah?  Well.....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-02/doctor-boards-atlanta-flight-hazmat-suit-protest-lying-cdc

Kind of doubt this was his thinking as he went to the hospital 2 days b-4 he was ultimately admitted,was sent home with antibiotics.  If he had any notion he may have had Ebola and made this trip to be cured. I am sure all he would have had to do was tell hospital staff " Hey I just left Liberia and I think I am suffering from Ebola"

In your scenario if he were willing to travel here illegally to get healthcare he would certainly do everything he could to be admitted and cared for

I personally hold the view that healthcare in the U.S. is overwhelmingly great,  However I also hold the belief that the powers that be will not produce all the facts and will lie like hell if they think it will keep the public silent and calm,  I also believe that health care persons can not possibly know everything there is to know about a virus if they have no cure (for if you knew all there is to know then you could certainly cure it)

I recall CDC stating a dentist could not contract HIV from a patient, shortly thereafter a dentist contracted HIV  Go Figure

There are ways to come into contact with bodily fluids that dont involve direct contact with another human,  say I have a cut I rub then i touch a door knob a couple minutes later you touch that knob and then pick your nose, or touch an open cut of your own. Your job has you cleaning bathrooms and someone left you a mess on the toilet or floor and an open sore on your arm comes in contact with.............hundreds of possible variables

I truly hope everyone gets better and they can stop the spread here and in Africa

3000 us troops heading to Africa to help stop the spread, Not sure I fully understand this move, they say it is to build shelters for the sick, I suppose the people already there can not erect gp medium tents and set up cots.........they were good enough for me while I served, seems like an un needed risk of US Troops

I digress  :mellow:

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 2

Guest Steven1963

Personally, I am disgusted that this person made it into the U.S. from Liberia.  WHY haven't we - our government - on the advice of the CDC - closed our borders to any person or flight originating from these infected countries? Perhaps because the CDC hasn't made such a recommendation??  WHY NOT?  Why has THIS president decided that it is better to keep people coming into the country and risk losing millions of Americans than to screen out anybody coming from these infected countries? Seriously WTF is going on when we must be subjected to such blatant incompetence and we can't comment on it without being labeled a racist? 

This is shaping up to be the WORST 8 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF THE COUNTRY.

/rant

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 2

Some good points made.  Yes, if he came here seeking treatment logically he would have insisted to remain at the hospital and be treated.

Yes the government will lie; but, i suspect that is the lessor of the possible evils.  I don’t trust people’s judgment on a good day, let alone if there was mass hysteria.

Also read today that if we closed our border completely, that would discourage humanitarians (like the doctors that went and got sick) from going in the first place.  If they knew that if they got sick they would be left there to die, many probably wouldn’t go.

media is reporting that a person in Sacramento, CA and another in New Mexico are in quarantine right now--with possible ebola. A case in Hawaii turned out to be a false alarm and the person was let out of quarantine. 

Edited by BigStewMan

Guest Steven1963

Some good points made.  Yes, if he came here seeking treatment logically he would have insisted to remain at the hospital and be treated.

Yes the government will lie; but, i suspect that is the lessor of the possible evils.  I don’t trust people’s judgment on a good day, let alone if there was mass hysteria.

Also read today that if we closed our border completely, that would discourage humanitarians (like the doctors that went and got sick) from going in the first place.  If they knew that if they got sick they would be left there to die, many probably wouldn’t go.

media is reporting that a person in Sacramento, CA and another in New Mexico are in quarantine right now--with possible ebola. 

We are talking about one of the most feared virus' known to man.  Period.  This is, in my opinion, not the time to worry about political correctness or what some doctor might worry about if he went to help and couldn't come back.  We are literally talking about the survival of millions of people and the country.  Frankly, F political correctness and some would-be good samaritan's desire to offer help and then expect to be helped in return.