GO GIANTS!

BigStewMan

In that neck of the woods I like the A's.  Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, and all the rest from those incredible 70's teams provide a legacy even to me the recent Giants teams just can't match.

Raleigh Fingers, Vida Blue

Those were great teams

Reggie Jackson once said that if Charlie O hadn’t dismantled that team, they would have won for the rest of the decade--they were that good.

There is a several part documentary on You Tube called Rebels of Oakland.  It was done by HBO and it’s about the A’s and Raiders of the 70s.  Some great stuff there.  I’m actually an Oakland man--still have family living there; but, I have a sentimental tie to the Giants…and Willie Mays is the best there ever was.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

Shame about A-Roid catching up yo Willie Mays' home run number, hopefully it won't happen against the Mets this weekend. BTW Big Stew, I have the SF Giants in our 13 run pool & they stink this year on offense! I am tied for last place. :huh:

• Like 1

Shame about A-Roid catching up yo Willie Mays' home run number, hopefully it won't happen against the Mets this weekend. BTW Big Stew, I have the SF Giants in our 13 run pool & they stink this year on offense! I am tied for last place. :huh:

yeah disappointing start but a long year…hopefully they recover…some significant injuries.

Just curious….what does the die hard Giants fans think about Barry Bonds?

i like him.  i don’t have a problem with his hating the media.  heard him 10 or so years ago talk about his Dad. How his Dad was never around because he was either playing ball or doing every charity event or whatever MLB asked him to attend.  Then his Dad has a problem with the booze and everyone seemingly turned on him.  so he watched his dad get ripped to shreds by the media--that soured him. i think i’d do the same (i already hate the media so it wouldn’t be hard for me). i thinks that’s why he became the poster boy of steroid era.

he had fine numbers already--but sad that with the mcgwire/sosa hysteria, he felt he had to do something to keep up.

too many were juiced just to single out the hitters anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My dad took me to my first game at Candlestick Park on July, 20th 1969. On the hill for the Giants was Gaylord Perry, for the Dodgers, Claude Osteen. My dad somehow got deluxe box seats near the broadcast booth. I got to meet Lon Simmons, RIP, in the bathroom. I was eight and don't remember too much of the game other than Gaylord Perry hitting a home run. I think it was his first at the big league level? A great memory for sure and I have been a life long fan ever since. Besides Perry's home run, what other historical event happened that day? No fair to Google it.

• Like 1

My dad took me to my first game at Candlestick Park on July, 20th 1969. On the hill for the Giants was Gaylord Perry, for the Dodgers, Claude Osteen. My dad somehow got deluxe box seats near the broadcast booth. I got to meet Lon Simmons, RIP, in the bathroom. I was eight and don't remember too much of the game other than Gaylord Perry hitting a home run. I think it was his first at the big league level? A great memory for sure and I have been a life long fan ever since. Besides Perry's home run, what other historical event happened that day? No fair to Google it.

That day was epic.  I was at my Aunt’s house in Hayward.  I think we saw something pretty cool on TV and it wasn’t Gaylord Perry’s spitball.

(snip) . Besides Perry's home run, what other historical event happened that day? No fair to Google it.

That day was epic.  I was at my Aunt’s house in Hayward.  I think we saw something pretty cool on TV and it wasn’t Gaylord Perry’s spitball.

Ah, July 20th, 1969.  I was in front of the TV, eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream, if I recall. The program was in black and white, and I was listening to Walter Cronkite.

50GS-19.2.jpg

Edited by wvu80

My dad always had an AM radio with him, even at the game. He loved listening to Lon SImmons and Russ Hodges. My dad tells me he heard about the moon landing over the radio. He said his words to me were, "The Giants are winning and we landed a man on the moon, it's a great day!" Everything in perspective for my dad.

At one point he got up and said it was time to get a hotdog, soda/beer, go to bathroom and stretch. I asked him, why now? He said, Walt Alston is heading toward the mound so we will have plenty time and be done before he even gets there. :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...