Yamaha or Denon

quakana

I also feel that Marantz is always one year behind in newer technology.

Dolby Atmos for the home just came out, and Marantz was right there on top of it with the SR-7009.

Like I mentioned earlier, I found that at the same price point, Marantz always had less features and/or older technology to offer than the competition. Having said that it has been a couples of years since I have been shopping for an AVR. I am very satisfied with my Marantz product and would most likely buy another. I have always wanted to try a Denon though.

I personally don't see that big of a difference in Atmos when compared to the 9.2 setup and some of the 11.2 setups that are available. I wasn't blown away by it in any of the stores I heard it in either. I remember in the late 80's-early 90's when they were talking about HD and how it was going to revolutionize the industry,Look how long that took to take hold. Then there was SACD, DVD AUDIO, now 4K. It's way to much money for the average person to put out of their pocket for something that will not be available on a consistent basis for several years in my opinion. Now with ATMOS, you have to buy more speakers and stick them in your ceiling or on top of your other speakers. There was a great article on it that someone else here posted about Onkyo's not using Audessey anymore and ATMOS. For the extra money, I'd rather save and buy a pair of these La Scallas everyone loves.

I have owned many very nice receivers over the last 5 years. Pioneer is probably my all around favorite due to their brute strength but I am really enjoying my Denon AVR-X4000. The X32 is leaps and bounds better than MCACC.

Never tried Yamaha but I have heard many good things about their Advantage series.

I have always loved Denon for the warm sound. I had an old school Denon AVR I got from my Dad and loved the sound and eventually found an AVR 3801 on Craigslist for $35 and snagged it for the ridiculous low price. It does not have HDMI but I use Optical for my XBox 360 sound and just run the HDMI video directly into the TV as I dont mind occasionally hitting the 'Input' button. 

I have heard some people say that Yamaha sounds too "Bright" but I dont know first hand.

The Yamaha's are definitely brighter, but can be "warmed" up a little. I like them better for instruments playing and for HT. They seem to have a "fuller" more all around sound to me.The warmer sound from Denon and even warmer sound for Marantz is nice for people who focus more on voice/jazz type music in my opinion. I just felt that they weren't bright enough for the instruments and didn't give a full enough sound for me. Maybe it was the store where I listenend to them. Maybe it's just that my ears have been accustomed to Yamaha all these years, but I like hearing a nice crisp high and thumping bass with the mids not as focused. MARANTZ didn't seem to have the thumping bass, but were ridiculous with voice/jazz and mids. I feel Denon is in between both.I can say the older Yamaha receivers were warmer in sound than they are today.

That makes sense. I am a novice on a budget so my Denon is my first high end receiver. I had a POS Kenwood before that that had a miserable amount of sibilance harshness so I really wanted to go warmer. I see what you mean though, Saxophones on my KG 5.5's sound holographic but things like high strings and especially piano is lacking a little. I am happy to have found this forum, I am humbled by the knowledge and experience of the people here.

I have always loved Denon for the warm sound. I had an old school Denon AVR I got from my Dad and loved the sound and eventually found an AVR 3801 on Craigslist for $35 and snagged it for the ridiculous low price. It does not have HDMI but I use Optical for my XBox 360 sound and just run the HDMI video directly into the TV as I dont mind occasionally hitting the 'Input' button. 

I have heard some people say that Yamaha sounds too "Bright" but I dont know first hand.

The Yamaha's are definitely brighter, but can be "warmed" up a little. I like them better for instruments playing and for HT. They seem to have a "fuller" more all around sound to me.The warmer sound from Denon and even warmer sound for Marantz is nice for people who focus more on voice/jazz type music in my opinion. I just felt that they weren't bright enough for the instruments and didn't give a full enough sound for me. Maybe it was the store where I listenend to them. Maybe it's just that my ears have been accustomed to Yamaha all these years, but I like hearing a nice crisp high and thumping bass with the mids not as focused. MARANTZ didn't seem to have the thumping bass, but were ridiculous with voice/jazz and mids. I feel Denon is in between both.I can say the older Yamaha receivers were warmer in sound than they are today.

That makes sense. I am a novice on a budget so my Denon is my first high end receiver. I had a POS Kenwood before that that had a miserable amount of sibilance harshness so I really wanted to go warmer. I see what you mean though, Saxophones on my KG 5.5's sound holographic but things like high strings and especially piano is lacking a little. I am happy to have found this forum, I am humbled by the knowledge and experience of the people here.

you and me both on being humbled, I literally feel like a little kid asking an adult how to tie my shoes and to show me. very glad I found this "community". For the few days I've been on here it seems everyone looks out for everyone.

• 2 years later...

Would love to explore some of those brands again but, for now, I'm happy in the Pioneer camp.  The biggest thing is how well you learn you avr and how to get the most out of it.  All the brands make some great stuff but, all users are not equally adept in getting the most out of the avr.