Who's Got A Bluetooth Speaker They LOVE?

Gilbert

Curious to know what Bluetooth speakers you guys have listened to, and which sounds the best. SQ is my highest priority, durability is 2nd. on the priority list.

It is for use outside while BBQ'ing, doing yard work, or to take along when going fishing or vacationing. I've listened extensively to the Bose Soundlink mini, a buddy brings his along every time we go golfing. But he says it's kind of fragile, he's on his second Soundlink mini.

Don't want anything that's overly bulky. Been eyeing Outdoor Tech's Big Turtle Shell Bose Soundlink III. Both have garnished relatively high reviews, and both have a low profile that makes them easy to store in a suitcase or carrying bag.

Wouldn't mind giving the Klipsch KMC line a try, they look kinda of bulky, but don't know where I can go to play touchy-feely and snag a demo listen-to.

Budget is under $500.

Edited by Gilbert

• Moderators

I have no ideas but that turtle shell thing looks good,  shock proof and water resistant sounds very handy. If you could just hear it first is the problem, I would bet it at least sounds as good as the bose.

I have no ideas but that turtle shell thing looks good,  shock proof and water resistant sounds very handy. If you could just hear it first is the problem, I would bet it at least sounds as good as the bose.

I'm leaning in that direction...... and there's a healthy number of reviewers at Amazon that say it's as good as the Bose (coming from Bose Soundlink owners).... I'm nearly sold on the Big Turtle Shell, but would sure like to give it a try myself before shelling out a couple hundred.

The Turtle Shell currently rates at about a 4.6 stars with 164 reviews, no where near as many reviews as the Soundlink, but the turtle shell is a relatively new device and has only been available for a little over a month.

Edited by Gilbert

I received my KMC-3 as a prize when Klipsch first launched the line - I don't know that I'd pay $499 for it, but it's definitely a top notch device, as is the KMC-1 which a friend recently purchased. Don't hesitate to pick up if you can find at a discounted price.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't pay $499 for any bluetooth speaker. I just don't see the value in spending that much for such a product category.

• Like 1

I received my KMC-3 as a prize when Klipsch first launched the line - I don't know that I'd pay $499 for it, but it's definitely a top notch device, as is the KMC-1 which a friend recently purchased. Don't hesitate to pick up if you can find at a discounted price.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't pay $499 for any bluetooth speaker. I just don't see the value in spending that much for such a product category.

I think the KMC-3 is too big for my purpose, but if that doesn't kill it, the price sure did. That pushes the budget to the limit, don't think it's worth more than double or near double the price of the other choices.

Anyone notice that is says the turtle will put out 110 db?  I cant find where it has details on the drivers other than them being 4 ohms.  It looks pretty impressive and a decent price as well.

Yes, absolutely. The initially how I learned about it. The Soundlink does a good job, but Turtle screams louder and longer.... just hope the clarity can be maintained all the way through.

Thanks guys, think I'm going to buy a Big Turtle.

Edited by Gilbert

I was playing with a Bose soundlink and had demoed the KMC3 at Best Buy.

The soundlink has some sort of mid bass eq boost that makes it sound fuller at lower volumes. The KMC sounds flatter.

However, when the volume gets cranked up near maximum, the Bose loses its headroom for the bass boost and seemingly deactivates it to achieve max volume. It's at this point where the KMC pulls ahead in overall spl output and sound quality.

I had that exact boom box. It sounded fantastic. 
Inherited it from my oldest sister DOA.

She bought it new back around '93. It was the first bona fide CD player in our home at the time. She had a few organizers chocked full of cassettes, but only a few CD's because they were so friggn' expensive back then.

Over the years the unit developed a hard time reading CD's, skipped more frequently, and finally it just stopped powering up.

She eventually passed it along to me saying that I could have it, whether I got it working again or not.

I bought a copy of the factory service manual, snagged a salvage unit for parts off of eBay, and finally dove in.

Cleaned the CD optical lens and tray motor. Lubed the tray slides. Discovered intermittent power on-off tact switches and gave all the board bridge connectors the DeoxIT treatment. Fired right back up and played every disc I threw at it.

Still bump'n away now as the garage system. ...albeit my garage is a helluva lot smaller than yours.  ;)

I had that exact boom box. It sounded fantastic. 
Inherited it from my oldest sister DOA.

She bought it new back around '93. It was the first bona fide CD player in our home at the time. She had a few organizers chocked full of cassettes, but only a few CD's because they were so friggn' expensive back then.

Over the years the unit developed a hard time reading CD's, skipped more frequently, and finally it just stopped powering up.

She eventually passed it along to me saying that I could have it, whether I got it working again or not.

I bought a copy of the factory service manual, snagged a salvage unit for parts off of eBay, and finally dove in.

Cleaned the CD optical lens and tray motor. Lubed the tray slides. Discovered intermittent power on-off tact switches and gave all the board bridge connectors the DeoxIT treatment. Fired right back up and played every disc I threw at it.

Still bump'n away now as the garage system. ...albeit my garage is a helluva lot smaller than yours.  ;)

Excellent!  Great boom box. Undoubtedly the best sounding one I ever owned.

• Administrators

I'm telling you, if I didn't work for Klipsch, I would not hesitate to pay full price for a KMC 1. These things absolutely sound great. I've bought several for family members and a couple friends, and they all love them 100%. 

I also have a KMC 3 - but that sounds like it's too big for your needs. The KMC 1 is extremely versatile. The battery lasts for a crazy amount of time. We put one to the test out on the lake on Memorial Day - we played music (and the Indy 500) through it from about 10:30am to about midnight. It had plenty of juice left even then. Even had it fueling sweet tunes for about 10 pontoons tied to us. Everyone loved it.

If you have a chance to listen to one yourself, you'll buy it. We stand by that.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the Big Turtle Shell is definitely loud, actually, it can scream. Great for outdoor gatherings, and it serves as a handy dandy way to keep a charge on your electronic devices. Took it out once for an all-day'er at the lake while setting out some catfish lines, it's got enough juice and then some. But the sound is ok, decent, but nothing to write home about. I like it a lot better than the Bose Soundlink-Mini that my golf buddy uses, but it's definitely not what I was hoping for. I have been playing only flac files through a galaxy note 4, but I guess my expectations were too high, I was hoping for better sound quality.