High-End BS?

Arkytype

From the pages of a 2015 high-end audio products buyer's guide, we read the following product description:

Both (products) have a weighty mid-range character, with good extension at the frequency extremes, with an emphasis on the wider acoustic environment rather than specific and isolated images....Certainly image definition and focus are very good, just not overly individuated. Low-level detail and transient textures are also persuasive.

Anyone care to guess what the product is?

Lee

• Like 1

I was going to guess power conditioner, but then googled and found out I was close.  Complete BS for sure!  

It's funny how most of these boutique audio shops operate.  I lose total trust in their technical ability the second they try to sell $1000 speaker cables, etc...  I'd feel very ripped off if I was a normal consumer and then later discovered a $2 monoprice cable sounds the same.

Was it this: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/three-power-cord-upgrades/?page=2?

Are there people that dumb? Seriously? 

I can completely understand buying a beautiful cord for aesthetics. Lots of people have very high end equipment, and they are displayed like they should be. Having a classy looking power cord makes sense for that reason only. Dressing for the art studio of awesome gear. To me, that is what they should be selling, better looking power cords to connect your beautiful equipment. Period!

• Like 1

You guys are talking like you know the answer.  I don't, so I'm still guessing.  I'm going with component cables, such as RCA cables.

If its the power cable like Arktype suggests, then that's pretty funny.  I'd hate to buy high end speakers and amps to be able to hear excellent articulation, only to have my power cable ruin the imaging!

I would want the thousand dollar power cable that "individuates" the sound.  B)

Was it this: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/three-power-cord-upgrades/?page=2?

Are there people that dumb? Seriously? 

I can completely understand buying a beautiful cord for aesthetics. Lots of people have very high end equipment, and they are displayed like they should be. Having a classy looking power cord makes sense for that reason only. Dressing for the art studio of awesome gear. To me, that is what they should be selling, better looking power cords to connect your beautiful equipment. Period!

Can't a thousand dollar power cord do both?  :D

My favorite line from that ad you quoted was "Low-level detailing and transient textures were very persuasive." (bolding mine)  That sentence doesn't make sense.  I bet they meant "pervasive." :rolleyes:

I may not have Golden Ears, but I do have Golden Eyes.  B)

Edited by wvu80

I got a kick reading the comments section. There was one lone advocate. He was the sane one, and everyone else was crazy.   :)

BTW, there was a guy a while back who made some very attractive speaker cables in our Garage Sale section. He used CAT5 cables and a variety of braided coverings, ends, and shrink tubing. Great looking work, and well worth the money he was asking. It was a popular thread.

Here is the thread: Nezff's Custom Speaker Cables

Edited by mustang guy

From the pages of a 2015 high-end audio products buyer's guide, we read the following product description:

Both (products) have a weighty mid-range character, with good extension at the frequency extremes, with an emphasis on the wider acoustic environment rather than specific and isolated images....Certainly image definition and focus are very good, just not overly individuated. Low-level detail and transient textures are also persuasive.

Anyone care to guess what the product is?

Lee

As I get older my "mid range" seems to be plenty weighty, I don't think I want their cables to help in that regard. ;)

• Like 1

Just soon as I order my Voodoo power cords, I'm gonna replace the underground power line from my house to the pole with oxygen-free, molecularly- aligned, cryogenically treated, silver-plated 4/0 wire.  

Lee                             

• Like 2

In the world of conspicuous consumption, can anything really compare to this for absurdity?

http://www.jewelryexchange.com/diamonddetails.aspx?diamondID=263081

Yes! 

http://www.whathifi.com/news/10-worlds-most-expensive-loudspeakers

While I can certainly appreciate the designers' price-no-object artistry in designing such speakers, I have to wonder about the people who actually purchase them.

Good to see you back on here Mark!  All the best--

Maynard

The DFSS takes the patented technology Shunyata Designer Caelin Gabriel applied in the original Dark Field Elevators (DFE & DFE v2) to an elite performance level by adding two important design innovations. In addition to the patented energy-field neutralization material used in the original DFE, the DFSS incorporates two forms of vibration isolation that quiets energy transfer between the floor and any cable product.

Here's a link to the patent.  https://www.google.com/patents/US7694917?dq=ininventor:%22Caelin+Gabriel%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TcyZVMPtOMWdgwTQ54PYDQ&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA

Herr Gabriel actually uses the term "dark field" in the patent application but doesn't bother to explain what it means. 

Lee

Just soon as I order my Voodoo power cords, I'm gonna replace the underground power line from my house to the pole with oxygen-free, molecularly- aligned, cryogenically treated, silver-plated 4/0 wire.  

Lee                             

I'm going to save all that expense and just put the electrical generating plant in the back yard.

Good to see you back on here Mark! All the best--

Thanks Maynard. I was enjoying looking at your amp in the G-sale section. Still building, are you?

Yes, I'm still designing and building constantly (I guess it's a fairly benign obsession) which is why the house is filled with prototype and other amps.  Even after all these years I keep finding new tubes to explore.  Fortunately my wife is very indulgent but, admittedly, things are getting a bit out of hand! :D  Thanks for asking!

Maynard