High-End BS?

Arkytype

not here to pee into the cornflakes you guys are having a bonding moment here. Just want to say that there are views which are opposed to yours. None of you need to look to know that cables are probably one of most volatile topics in audio. So there is a lot of debate. Many feel very differently than you do about cables, I do. I have been designing and building cables since I met up with David Saulz of Wire World then of Straight Wire and now Wire World. Dave was my first cable mentor and is a very nice guy.

Calling people stupid for buying what they like the sound of is not a very inclusive method of insuring a balanced discussion but I get the impression that this is not what this thread is looking for. I expect better here at the Klipsch forum and you should too. Have a very happy Christmas and a better new year. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Thanks mdeneen: I understand the feelings and the frustration. I remember telling Dave over dinner that the whole business looked to me to be a bit of a hoax and that it did not seem to be so very difficult to figure out. I got into this because I built up a bunch of cable ideas that Dave had suggested and then some more of my own and I was amazed by what I heard. Disagreement and arguments are good they foster discussion and help to develop fresh thinking. You can start a conflict or you can start a discussion. Hope your day today is a good one. The forum should strive to be open and to involve members to discuss and to share so we can learn it should be a safe place to ask what sometimes feel like stupid questions. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 2

Calling people stupid for buying what they like the sound of is not a very inclusive method of insuring a balanced discussion

I did not call anyone stupid for buying something that they liked the sound of. They are stupid for spending stupid amounts of money on a power cord. There is no such thing as a stupid question, nor did I suggest there was.

As far as power cords and audio AC power goes, use a large gauge wire, #12 or #10 would be good. Use hospital grade plugs and receptacles - they are made much better than contractor grade stuff, and offer measurable performance benefits. Easy to DIY and for way less than $100 each.

Edited by Don Richard

Well, I always insist on 100% copper... :D

I've been of the persuasion for years that people can learn to detect differences from all sorts of differences from all sorts of things.  I can tell a difference by moving a chair around in the room.  What is stupid is to think you know what another person hears. 

As a more music oriented and less equipment oriented guy, I've made it my "speciality" to hear various microphones, placements, location qualities, encoding and recording methods, and such as opposed to cables, caps, etc.  One insanity per audiophile is enough...

Dave

The good news Mr. James, is that none of the comments were aimed at you personally. [emoji3]

As to what constitutes a stupid purchase, the most general definition is, "what the other guy bought." [emoji4]

I'm sorry to say that I have been the "other guy" a few times.  Fortunately it usually hasn't been too expensive except for the times it had to do with stupid contractors who were unable or unwilling to do the job as promised.  

I find blowing my nose or taking an antihistamine will change the sound as much or more than most equipment changes.  Of course, if I take enough Benedryl then I don't hear anything 'cause I'm asleep.  There's a very dark background you might say!

Mark, I'm pleasantly surprised to see you using emoticons!  Sometimes a picture will suffice after all.   :)

• Like 1

I can absolutely believe that speaker and interconnects can make a difference, but a power cord? I would hope it would be connected to a power conditioner for pure sine A/C, as plugging it into a wall outlet is only going to make a difference in the 6' it runs. I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around a power cable making any perceivable difference in audio.

​As for a millionaire spending money, that is a good thing. We want them to be consumers not savers. It's good for the economy. That is a fact!

And for your last-minute Xmas shopping--for the audiophile that already owns his $10,000 cables:  http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

Lowell Wood probably didn't have this in mind when he coined the phrase.

• Like 1

I learned quite some time ago there are people in every hobby that can afford everything presented in the hobby, some real fact/logic based, and some Fantasy.

I also learned you will never convince anyone who spends whatever it takes to attain "Their Sound" that they are nuts.

My views are based on math/fact/logic and after throwing that out there for years, the only comeback from high end spenders is

"I Can Hear The Difference", well when they say that, there is pretty much no point and nowhere to go with the conversation.