Is RedRay coming to your Home Theater

derrickdj1

RedRay will stream 4K content and will be ultra high Def.  Players will have at least 1 TB capaity.  When do I need to be considering new avr's, players and will it be at a reasonable cost.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/is-red-the-new-blu-reds-streaming-redray-4k-player-is-ready-for-pre-order/

I have the worst luck being bleeding edge on anything electronic, Beta Max being my most outstanding failure.

Can a PC stream 4K?  I thought my current Blu-ray (a $100 Sony unit) would stream 4K from the internet.  I presume I'm wrong again? 

Edited by wvu80

A PC can most definitely stream 4K.

It's the content delivery service that is lacking right now. I'm sure 4K streaming WILL take off, but with everybody's current internet bandwidth limitations, cramming 4K movies onto 50GB Blu-ray discs should still offer a far superior experience.

I think Sony is making the right moves in just the right timeframe for 4K on disc.

Some of the RedRay stream players will run under $200 and upconvert 1080 from what I understand.  In Feb. some Blurays will be converted to 4k so it looks like something affordable and a future trend.  Amazon will offer streaming in 4K to compete with Dish, Direct and cable TV.  25-50 bucks a months will beat most cable tv bills.  We will  just have to keep an eye on where this is going. :)

• Like 1

Beta Max being my most outstanding failure.  

i wasn’t the only one?  Back in about 1980 or 81, i bought a betamax “on sale” for $600.  Top loading machine, about the size of a small suitcase.  blank tapes were about $20  

just checked this website that said $600 in 1981 is the equivalent of $1,620 in 2014.  now i feel even more dumb; but, then again, being the first on the block with video machine made me look cool.

Edited by BigStewMan

No..... I Think I will get an eye exam and get new glasses first. Being in my age I really don't if my eyes are 4K compatible. I think a1080p plasma looks great. I could always spend $600.00 to have it calibrated . 

if your first name is Ray--we could call you Old Red Ray.   :D

i’ve always wondered if that calibration was worth the cost -- I’ve heard that yes, it is; but, have never heard from anyone that has actually had it done.

I was a professional calibrator for about 7 years. I can tell you that it's up to YOU to decide if it's worth it or not.

I always offered two types of calibration:

1. True calibration consisting of aligning the color decoding and white balance/color temp to the proper industry standards(D6500k, etc..)

2. Electronic "Flattening" calibration. Where I would open up the full visual range of each individual TV and defeat any digital enhancements.

I can tell you that the vast majority of my customers much preferred the second type even though each job ended up looking different. Only the true "videophiles" with very nice monitors/projectors, who watched in light-controlled rooms would prefer the ISF-style calibration.

If the RedRay players are under $200, I will most likely get one since I like streaming.  These are chipped based and the PQ will not change dramitcally in the next several years.  I am pretty happy with the HT but a jump in TV size may be in order.  Some 4k are reasonably priced.  The avr's is getting a little long in the tooth and a 4K Pioneer Elite can be had at a good cost.  All this when I was starting to get bored with nothing to do to the HT.

If the RedRay players are under $200, I will most likely get one since I like streaming. These are chipped based and the PQ will not change dramitcally in the next several years. I am pretty happy with the HT but a jump in TV size may be in order. Some 4k are reasonably priced. The avr's is getting a little long in the tooth and a 4K Pioneer Elite can be had at a good cost. All this when I was starting to get bored with nothing to do to the HT.

do you even have a 4k display? You need to stop jacking around and get a projector going. Bored? Step it up you have no idea how much more you will enjoy your home theater.

I’ve heard that yes, it is; but, have never heard from anyone that has actually had it done.

I had my KURO done when it had about 100 hours on it and then again recently as it's been 6 years + since the original calibration.  Money well spent.  To me, yellows and reds were much closer to real.

Of not, your calibration is only as good as the person doing it and the gear he has.

RedRay is suppose to  be able to put a movie on a small flash drive.  The ability to successfully stream HD content will be one of it's biggest advantages.  At this point it looks has if 4K is not a fad.  As for a projector, that is not a direction that I want to pursue since I use the entertainment area for music way more than movies.  One thing for sure, a 4K TV and avr will be serious considerations for this year.  An avr capable of Dolby Atmos is appealing  since ceiling speakers can be used without more large floor speakers.  I may wait til the 2015 models are on the way out come late summer or early fall when they can be purchased at a deep discount.