CD Ripping Service?

Thaddeus Smith

I buy used CD's constantly and the cases are getting broken way more often than I'd like.  I'm going to start running low on my supply of extra cases soon.  Those little bubble wrap envelops suck when they are barely the size of the CD.  The oversized cardboard that Amazon used early on was much better but even those got smashed sometimes.

If packed tightly then they aren't at any risk.  Compare this to how CR-R's are packaged, being tightly wrapped makes its even safer.  I have ripped almost 2,000 cd's. iTunes finds far less than 50% of the covers for me so I gotta search for the rest.  I find almost all of them on Amazon but for a few imports I got in Japan I had to go to Google and search images until I found the cover.  Unfortunately some of those are too tiny and become badly pixelated when used as CD art on iTunes.  So for those I just picked a image that featured the band and called it good.  If I were you I'd only put a guarantee on the music.  The cover art is a nice bonus 

If I were you I'd only put a guarantee on the music.  The cover art is a nice bonus 

which is why i'd like to have the album art - i can always scan at a high res, crop, and include.

there's plenty of places that do this already, so I'm trying to position myself as the DeanG of library modernization. 

Customers decide level of risk ?!   Usually they don't want to pay for anything such as insurance and want you to assume all the risk and liability.   

They need to provide the packaging.  You could also suggest empty spindles http://www.amazon.com/EMPTY-CAKE-SPINDLE-100-DISCS/dp/B0089Y6WPG

I really think tagging is important... it has to be right.   I'd suggest USB flash drives for smaller orders.  Don't sell anything but your service.   It is a real hassle to deal with at tax time otherwise.  Like I said, I've thought about this too a bit.  :)

Edited by muel

Customers decide level of risk ?!   Usually they don't want to pay for anything such as insurance and want you to assume all the risk and liability.   

They need to provide the packaging.  You could also suggest empty spindles http://www.amazon.com/EMPTY-CAKE-SPINDLE-100-DISCS/dp/B0089Y6WPG

I really think tagging is important... it has to be right.   I'd suggest USB flash drives for smaller orders.  Don't sell anything but your service.   It is a real hassle to deal with at tax time otherwise.  Like I said, I've thought about this too a bit.  :)

yes, leave it up to the customer if they want to go through the effort of decasing or not. they provide the initial packaging, shipping method, and insurance levels. i'll match and an indemnity clause covers the rest.

absolutely on tagging. once again a strong case for the original CD inserts - i can manually insert all of the information if necessary..

in the scenario of sending caseless CD's.. how much hassle would it be to you as a customer if I run through the batch and then request you send inserts for any CD's that had insufficient tag data and/or album art?

Customer could send that info for themselves online if notified?> Generic ID'ing may could come into play if customer not responsive to request.

Edited by billybob

domain name acquired. suitable ripping server being acquired. suitable legal docs are being created. i'm going to do this.

thanks for bouncing around ideas and providing input guys. if 2-3 of you would like to try out a batch of 25 discs to help me vett the process for the cost of shipping, please shoot me a PM. 

• Like 2

Is there any copyright concern about recording for money bla bla??

I'm not profiting from the music or redistributing the files in any fashion. You own the CD's and are permitted to have archival copies in your possession as long as you own the CD's. You're only paying for labor.

Makes sense to me. Good idea.

• Moderators

I wish you well, it does sound like a lot of work, but anything worth while usually is.

You know as a service you could always store everything on a hard drive you keep as an "off site backup storage"  for customers. :emotion-55:

Snarky's Cloud

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2