CF-4 on Ebay

Woofers and Tweeters

The buy it now store has had some really nice Klipsch speakers in the past. The price starts next to nothing, but ends up going through the roof in most cases. Almost like they have shill bidders.

Ragingbull and I have both watched the Ebay sales. I think he got a deal 1 time and since were close he picked them up. See what happens, maybe I'm in for another pair of 4s. lol

Mark 

What is with this picture (from Ebay)?  My Gen 1 CF-4 does not look like that on the back. (oops, nevermind.  that is the back of the grills.)  I wonder why they don't show the back of the speaker with the tags?

Also, I was wondering if a person could evade the $590 shipping price by picking them up locally.  I've got to think that if the speakers actually had to be shipped, it would be a solid $300 + for the pair.

$_57.JPG

Edited by wvu80

Right. It says in the listing that local pickup is fine.

I can't recall hearing much about this speaker. What does it sound like? It preceded the KLF series, I guess?

The CF-4 gen 1 (3 year run) was loved by owners in the day because it didn't sound "Klipsch-like."  Ironically the dealers felt the same way about the sound, but they asked Klipsch to change the sound BACK to "Klipsch like" sound and the buyers were not quite as happy.  The changes were done via XO adjustments and a shorter 3" port length (5" for Gen 1).

My Gen 1 Klipsch have a BIG articulate sound, and to my ears have a bit of harshness in the mid/top end which was easily attenuated with some silicon seal on the horn and some light amounts of poly-fil, which replaced the double-sheets of foam placed behind the woofers.

These speakers will thump your chest and with dual 12" woofers, if there was ever a speaker that did not need a sub, this is it.  These speakers with the mods will now play loud cleanly, can produce plenty of chest thump, and are now accurate with sound reproduction.  A piano sounds like a piano, with its characteristic sound, which means range, and loud "live" sound.

• Like 1

those #'s match my sold pair of CF-4 gen 2.... sold about 1 1/2 years ago.......

The ad states "one local owner."  Is that true, were you the only owner and local?

At the current bid, it looks like you can get those back for $82 bucks!  :D

Shady sellers list a high shipping price that will usually end with a lower sale price to circumvent eBay's end of auction fees.  eBay cannot collect off shipping costs.

NO, completely wrong.

It used to be like that years ago. Ebay fixed that long back when sellers started to list expensive items for $1 plus $1000 shipping.

Ebay fee percent is on total price including shipping.

The only advantage now is sellers "may" not have to refund shipping in case the item is returned in some cases.

Edited by Mystery

X2 on the ebay fees,  been that way for years now, they get ~10% of the total sale including shipping.  kind of unfair IMO as the honest sellers that dont hike up the shipping are penalized because of the ones who do.  kind of like taking away the whole classes recess because billy was bad.... 

& why so quick to assume "shill bidding"  ebay has worldwide exposure & there are hundreds of people that can & will bid on these, just because the price gets driven up does not mean there is any fraudulent practices going on. 

based on the serial #'s these are series 3,  made in late 95 or 96 would make them series 3 from the info i recall.  could be wrong though.  still a decent speaker if the price stays below $700-$800 or so.  the 2nd pair looks to have some damage to the veneer or cabinet.  

while $590 may be a little high for shipping, remember these weigh 108lbs each & when boxed up are over fedex or ups standard size limits, once you get into oversize the price jumps substantially.  with the expense & efforts of packing these things i would say $400 is fair.  i had my pair shipped via fedex & it was about $150 each in the original boxes actual ship charge, i know i wouldnt want to pack & transport these for free.  but free local pickup may make for a good deal for someone close.

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1

while $590 may be a little high for shipping, remember these weigh 108lbs each & when boxed up are over fedex or ups standard size limits, once you get into oversize the price jumps sunstantially.  with the expence & efforts of packing these things i would say $400 is fair.  i had my pair shipped via fedex & it was about $150 each in the original boxes acxtual ship charge, i know i wouldnt want to pack & transport these for free.  but free local pickup may make for a good deal for someone close.

I'm only guessing, but $590 might be the "I really don't want to ship these" price.  B)

• Like 1

Right. It says in the listing that local pickup is fine.

I can't recall hearing much about this speaker. What does it sound like? It preceded the KLF series, I guess?

Yes the Cf Epic series was built between 1994 and 1996. The KLF Legend series (despite the adhesive fiasco)was built for a fairly long run between 1996 and 2001. The CF3/4 uses what I like to think of as the "poor mans" K510 horn designed by Roy and similar in concept and size. The series was the work Of Roy Delgado and is to me the best home speaker design in many ways that Klipsch has produced to date.

A re issue with the large format K510 horn and large format driver would be a killer loudspeaker. I am not a fan of the WTW configuration as it has screwie off axis response and I much prefer the WWT arrangement used in the KG and KLF series (KLF10). Don't hold your breath though. Best regards Moray James.