Got the Crites Tweeters

eth2

The Crites tweeters arrived yesterday. Fast shipping, thanks Bob. They sound good to me.

Glad to read that you are enjoying your purchase. If you don't mind I have several questions that I'm curious about. What model speaker do you have, did you get the titanium diaphragm upgrade for the tweeters, or just a replacement tweeter?

If they are titanium diaphragms, are the highs more pronounced?  Are they just "good," or considerably better?

Thanks,

Joseph

The Crites tweeters arrived yesterday. Fast shipping, thanks Bob. They sound good to me.

Glad to read that you are enjoying your purchase. If you don't mind I have several questions that I'm curious about. What model speaker do you have, did you get the titanium diaphragm upgrade for the tweeters, or just a replacement tweeter?

If they are titanium diaphragms, are the highs more pronounced?  Are they just "good," or considerably better?

Thanks,

Joseph

They are a bit "brighter" than the K77's.

I have Klipschorns.

I did not get titanium tweeters. They are the 125's.

I am happy.

Edited by eth2

Thanks,

Joseph

Joseph: the Crites CT125 is a phenolic diaphragm liquid cooled tweeter. I installed a pair into my first pair of Heresy and I liked them every bit as much as the titanium diaphragms in K79 tweeters of my Forte ll at the time. I like the horn lens used which is identical to the K77 except for the inclusion of a phase plug a very nice diffraction horn. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html

• Like 1

Thanks,

Joseph

Joseph: the Crites CT125 is a phenolic diaphragm liquid cooled tweeter. I installed a pair into my first pair of Heresy and I liked them every bit as much as the titanium diaphragms in K79 tweeters of my Forte ll at the time. I like the horn lens used which is identical to the K77 except for the inclusion of a phase plug a very nice diffraction horn. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks for the feedback, Moray. I also appreciate the link you provided. Even though my stock Chorus 2's sound remarkable to my ears, the voices (I'm sure you know which voices) are beckoning me. These voices, are very alluring.   lol

Thanks,

Joseph

They are a bit "brighter" than the K77's.

I have Klipschorns.

I did not get titanium tweeters. They are the 125's.

I am happy.

Thank you for your feedback.

Thanks,

Joseph

Thanks for the feedback, Moray. I also appreciate the link you provided. Even though my stock Chorus 2's sound remarkable to my ears, the voices (I'm sure you know which voices) are beckoning me. These voices, are very alluring.   lol

the CT125 is a replacement for the K77 only. The CT125 is too efficient to be used as a direct drop in replacement for a K79 in a Chorus ll. You can get titanium diaphragm from Bob for your Chorus ll tweeters, there are also a number of things that you can do to modify them which imo make them sound much better. Best regards Moray James.

I have at the present time set the equalizer to about -2.5 db at 8KHZ because of the brightness in speech consonants of the CT-125's on the local FM HD stations. CD's, DVDS, BLUrays, and .TV audio don't require these settings but they do tone down and help reduce the consonant hacking which drives some people up the wall. Actually the TV audio of the major stations is bang on perfect and I theorize that they do dot use compressors like the FM dudes. In my system I have three of them banging out at you.

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK

The nice factor is that they are a perfect fit - swap and play - same crossover - same screws - same spot location - no cutting - isnt this great -

Hole placement on the motorboard is not the same.

You can get titanium diaphragm from Bob for your Chorus ll tweeters, there are also a number of things that you can do to modify them which imo make them sound much better.

Hi Moray, would you mind detailing the mods you would recommend for the Chorus II's?  Thanks so much. 

The nice factor is that they are a perfect fit - swap and play - same crossover - same screws - same spot location - no cutting - isnt this great -

Really??  Not my experience and I've rolled these through a couple of Cornwalls and LaScalas.  I wonder what's up with the holes not lining up for you?

"Better" is pretty doggone subjective!  Strange to me when people describe the CT125 as brighter than the K77.  I've never heard them that way at all and I've been through a few of both.  If anything, I've found the CT125 to be a little softer.  I found myself gravitating back to the K77 but I still use the CT125 in one pair of Cornwalls.  I'd be interested to see more descriptions of the differences people hear.

I'm listening to the Chili Pepper's with the HIP's right now that still have the stock k-77's and they seem balanced, certainly don't think I'd like "brighter." I've read that some think the CT125 is more mellow or not as "hot" which is usually the direction I like to lean.

Really??  Not my experience and I've rolled these through a couple of Cornwalls and LaScalas.  I wonder what's up with the holes not lining up for you?

"Better" is pretty doggone subjective!  Strange to me when people describe the CT125 as brighter than the K77.  I've never heard them that way at all and I've been through a few of both.  If anything, I've found the CT125 to be a little softer.  I found myself gravitating back to the K77 but I still use the CT125 in one pair of Cornwalls.  I'd be interested to see more descriptions of the differences people hear.

The CT125's are smoother and more extended to me than the K-77.  The K-77 seems more pronounced than the CT125's (I have the K-77's with the alnico/round magnets - I keep them around for spares).  I definitely prefer the CT125's to the K-77.