Gun shooting thread

mustang guy

I can throw rocks with more accuracy than I can shoot a handgun.  :rolleyes:

Double tap, 20 yards, mini IPSC target which is barely bigger than the size of a basketball. :)  The taped up holes are how everybody else spews them out.  

1621735_10151994898439401_641273737_n.jp

I need a #2 phillips head screwdriver to punch two holes that close together!  :D

• Like 1

I can't do glocks... will never.

ergos are horrific for my hands and especially my wrists.

a nice .22 auto would be cool... heck, even if I could replace my old Diamondback .22 I would be happy.

Edited by Schu

I hated Glocks until I learned how to grip pistols in general by watching the video below.  Started doing that, shot for a few more weeks, and suddenly all other guns sucked.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

2 glock 9's in da house!

for protection from the riff-raff.

9mm & .40 cal Glocks.  Sleep with a Judge with laser sights and the .40 Glock under my pillow due to past threats made to me and family.  Wife took my Ruger LCR with laser sights.

Keep a Tasmanian Devil with green laser sight (see Avatar ), IMI Uzi, Tec 9, 9mm Glock, 2 25 cal pistols and a rifle at bedside.

Taurus Judge Magnum 

The 3" 000 410 rounds are rockin' for a handgun but they are EXPENSIVE !

P1000718.jpg

home defense 

Home defense and shooting Rats in the chicken coop

In 1974 there as a local department store (pre walt mark) going out of business. Their going-out-of-business advertising had gone on for several weeks before I found the time to stop by. Fortunately they still had some golf balls I wanted so I bought 10 dozen. While there I saw that they still had a few long guns left. I bought a Winchester 94 30-30 for $60. Later I bought a low powered scope for the rifle and used it for fun at the range.

One day my brother called and asked if I wanted to go deer hunting the next day with a friend of his visiting from out of state. The terrain in the area we were going to hunt was sage fields and/or thick scrubby pine so I carried the Winchester. When we got there and were getting ready to hunt the two turkeys I was with started laughing at my $60 rifle, calling it 'the pea shooter'. The two of them had nice rifles, Weatherby as I remember. I laughed at them as they were removing their rifles from soft cases and then from additional cloth wrappings around the rifles inside the soft cases. Pretty rifles they were.

We hunted. No luck.

I got back to the truck before the others and put my gun away. We were parked on top of a hill and there was an illegal dump site down in an adjacent valley about 75 yards away which I had not noticed before hearing gun shots. I walked over and saw they were kicking up Weatherby dirt/dust clouds around several soda cans. After about 20 rounds I said it looked like I was going to have to get the 'pea shooter' out. They laughed. I got the pea shooter and loaded one cartridge. Kicked a cola can about 20 feet straight up in the air. They never mentioned my $60 Winchester again.

That was 40 years ago. I still have the pea shooter today.

Keith

When I was a Kid I worked up a load for my Winchester model 94 30-30 that I shot a group at 100 yrds that could be covered with a Quarter.

I never shot at paper with that gun again.  Not likely to improve on that round of shots using car as a rest.  Nice to be able to tell people about that group. 

My son has one of those Henry lever action 22's.  Put some rocks into a Beer can and throw it into the air and he can hit it.  Not as accurate as some guns, but a kick in the *** to shoot.

I have a Benneli with 20 inch barrel that I can empty before the first hull hits the ground.  Besides some varmint hunting I use it for shooting mice in the chicken coop.  Works great on the mice but you have to watch where your shooting and not get caught up in the moment and wind up with holes in the walls and roof.  10 ft or less from mouse with 12 ga doesn't leave any meat for the chickens.

Also all you old school .22 fans might like this, my grandfather passed on one of those High Standard .22 revolvers from Sears, got it new for like $40.  9 shot, can shoot .22 longs, shorts, and magnums.  

My Dad still has his old JC Higgins 12 Ga pump shotgun that was made by High Standard back in the late 1940s or early 1950s for Sears.  He never used that one much and it is still in fine shape. He can't remember exactly when he bought it but says he thinks he still has the receipt and was going to see if he could find it.

The nice thing about a pump is when you rack it, the person on the other end of the barrel usually knows he is in DEEP CHIT.

On the other hand the racking of the gun can warn an intruder of your wherebouts.  I prefer the semi with a round kept in the chamber.  The first thing an intruder knows is he has been shot.   DO NOT GIVE INTRUDERS ANY ADVANTAGE YOU CAN KEEP FROM THEM

I have a Benneli with 20 inch barrel that I can empty before the first hull hits the ground.

My 3-gun rig is a 26" Benelli Super Black Eagle.  I have a 12 round tube on it and no I can't empty it that fast.  Big fat fiber optic sight, lightened carrier, loading port was opened up, Arredondo bolt carrier release, trigger job, low friction follower, stiffer tube spring, custom sling mount in the stock, tube clamp with rail and sling mount... its a bad mamma jamma.  I do get funny looks when shooting flying clays though.  

10449163_10152300444029401_4856146772325

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

That was an excellent video on the Glock. I have a G17 (9mm), and now I can't wait to get it out and see if I was doing it that way. I am a decent shot with it, but am excited to see if it helps things.

Ya'll were talkin about varmint guns in that other thread. I was gonna reply, but since I'm typing I want to throw my favorite varmint gun in the ring. Sadly I sold it to a guy that just HAD to have it. It was a a Ruger M77 6mm Rem with a varmint barrel. That thing was deadly out to 300 yards. I bought it because it had the lowest drop on the ballistic chart at the time. It was a light ballistic, and shot flatter than either the 220 swift of the 22-250. I forget the grain, but I think it was 55 grains. Super big casing behind a wee-little bullet. By now, I'm sure the 6mm has been passed up. As I understand it's about the same as a WSSM 243 casing.

just looked it up. The 55 grain could be loaded up to fire at 4086 fps.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Daisy BB gun.  Ammo is cheap and you can shoot targets in the back yard without alarming the neighbors.

Now if you're talking about firearms, the M1 Garand is at the top of my list.  30-06 semi-auto firepower, and I never get tired of hearing that "ping" when the enblock clip is ejected onto the payment on the last round!

Edited by Seadog
  • Like 1

A buddy of mine collected M1's. He had Garands (1 sniper version), and several Carbines. They were all great guns. As I remember the ot 6 shells with red paint were sniper rounds or something. He even had that. I have a .22 semi that looks like an M1 Carbine. Cute little thing.

I have several Garands, and one is a CMP Special that I shoot in the Vintage Military Rifle matches at my gun club (no sniper version in my collection however).  I also have an M1 Carbine which is a fun rifle to shoot.  I like the challenge of shooting targets at 200 yards with iron sights.

I hated Glocks until I learned how to grip pistols in general by watching the video below.  Started doing that, shot for a few more weeks, and suddenly all other guns sucked.  

interesting video... for me it's a grip angle issue, not thickness. glocks have a unique angle that is completely wrong for me personally.

• Like 1

interesting video... for me it's a grip angle issue, not thickness. glocks have a unique angle that is completely wrong for me personally.

I hated it too at first, kept pointing them up in the air too much when acquiring a sight picture.  Now I'm the exact opposite, I'm slower with a 1911 angle, whether it be with a 1911, 2011, FNX, or whatever.  Glocks feel natural now.  It just takes a whole bunch of shooting.  

Interesting tidbid, when the 1911 grip angle was created, they looked at the natural angle of your hand if it was squared up.  When they made the Glock grip angle, they studied how martial artists held their hand after they were trained to punch with the first two knuckles.  Doing this drives those knuckles in to your opponent more, plus they are strongest, and holding them in this way aligns them with your wrist, which minimizes injuries.  An untrained person hitting with a squared up hand will often strike with their pinky and break a bone or two.  Replicating this angle with a Glock also kept the bore height low which helps with recoil.  I think the Glock grip angle is better now that I'm used to it.