Times have sure changed!

tube fanatic

If this doesn't demonstrate how society has gone down the toilet, nothing else will:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqd5EQXD-g&feature=youtu.be

Somehow, kids knew that doing the real thing was just not acceptable.  But, back then parents were certainly more involved than they seem to be now.  My wife once related an incident at her school in which a kid pointed a pseudo-gun (i.e. his fingers) at another kid and made a shooting sound.  You can't imagine the investigation which followed that incident. 

Maynard

Yeah somehow even kids then knew it was playing, for fun you know, kids stuff. I don't think some recent adults are as smart as kids were back then. When they started saying it was bad, along with Bugs Bunny and the Three Stooges that's about the time school shootings etc started????

Maybe best kids play, get it out of their system, understand what is real and what is play.

• Like 1

Point a finger at a kid and say pow, and you get suspended, investigated, parents called, everything. Both my sons had this issue. I went to the school and cursed out the teachers and principal involved and demanded they be let back in school or sued.That was the only way they would back down.

It's a shame how the Left winged radicals have changed things. There's schools now with no honor roll as parents complained their kid was stressed from having to try hard. There are schools where students can't have a best friend so as not to bully another kid for not having them as a friend. There are schools where they have adopted not calling a child boy or girl, but an animal name or they are "student" so there aren't any racist sayings as kids have it to hard on them to compete with being a boy or girl among their peers. Just a total shame how bad things have become, but on a good note, we have now gotten rid of all of those "needy" military personnel that have fought for us and replaced them with the much more needed illegal alien who gets a free drivers license, car insurance,business, money, housing, schooling, and get their green card for having a baby here. And we get the new attorney general saying they deserve to take our jobs.

• Like 4

I think back to playing with cherry bombs, bb gun wars, wandering the fields with our shotguns as tweeners, being dropped far from home to camp in isolated woods by a river, and all the other things we did growing up and I suppose it is a miracle that I don't recall either any serious injuries or even a broken bone in the neighborhood growing up.  I actually think most of our parents considered these thing acceptable risks and part of leaning how to survive and develop good judgment.  "Good judgment comes from exercising bad judgment." 

Mixed emotions about today's "all of you are SPECIAL" and totally protective environment and personally quite glad I was raised in another time.

Dave

• Like 7

Jim, it's not just kids who are in the middle of the political correctness nonsense.  Even insurance companies now consider us "covered entities."  So, I guess we're not even human any longer.............

And Dave, I'm with you.  When I was a kid I had multiple sets of "parents" from the standpoint that if I did something wrong at a friend's house, their mom or dad could give me a wallop.  Then, when I went home, my parents were already aware of what happened and I got it again from them!  Try that today!!!

Maynard

• Like 3

And Dave, I'm with you. When I was a kid I had multiple sets of "parents" from the standpoint that if I did something wrong at a friend's house, their mom or dad could give me a wallop. Then, when I went home, my parents were already aware of what happened and I got it again from them! Try that today!!!

No kidding!

That's a cool gun! I don't know if I want to spend $500 on it though:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-MATTEL-TOMMY-BURP-TOY-CAP-MACHINE-GUN-MINT-IN-BOX-NONE-BETTER-/381146064285?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58be13659d

and it doesn't even come with the pistol and holster.  

Sorry I got off track from the meat of the conversation, but when I watched that advertisement, I was a kid again.  

• Like 1

When I was a kid I had multiple sets of "parents" from the standpoint that if I did something wrong at a friend's house, their mom or dad could give me a wallop. Then, when I went home, my parents were already aware of what happened and I got it again from them!

I don't think the last couple of generations can even comprehend that statement, but I sure do and it was one of the reasons I felt secure back then under most all circumstances.  When ANY adult said "Do NOT do that..." it was EoS and just as good as if from Dad.

Dave

When I was a kid I had multiple sets of "parents" from the standpoint that if I did something wrong at a friend's house, their mom or dad could give me a wallop. Then, when I went home, my parents were already aware of what happened and I got it again from them!

I don't think the last couple of generations can even comprehend that statement, but I sure do and it was one of the reasons I felt secure back then under most all circumstances.  When ANY adult said "Do NOT do that..." it was EoS and just as good as if from Dad.

Dave

I do remember this.  But that said, these kids today are so different than we were.  Really? 

This was written 40 years ago:

What a drag it is getting old / "Kids are different today," / I hear ev'ry mother say.

• Like 1

Kids have the sense of entitlement due to the parents of this past generation bringing them up as everyone gets a trophy, no one is supposed to be better than anyone else and you shouldn't have to work hard for recognition. 

Maynard, I agree on what you say about the insurance companies and it's because of the politicians getting their pockets lined by these companies. The same politicians who enact these bullsh&t laws and the same politicians we as people have allowed to make a career out of this instead of enacting term limits.

What's most intriguing is that there are bloodbath video games so realistic that it makes these play guns look like toys.  It is not just guns.  Now you can opt for chains saws and any number of truly grisly death dealing devices and it is no bloodless death you get to observe.  Your victims get to beg for their lives.  They scream.  They squirt and get disemboweled.  But - these are not supposed to have any untoward psyche affects on our youth.

We made REALLY powerful rubber guns from car inner tubes when I was a kid.  They hurt.  They were also a LOT of fun and we learned the consequences of "gun" play pretty quick.  As to play guns, we had an endless variety and loved them.  A friend of mine had a Daisy BB pistol that was a dead wringer in weight, size, and feel for a Colt Navy .45. 

Today, he'd be at the police station and his parents hauled in if seen with that.

Then?  Meh. 

The odd thing is that, if I am not mistaken, crime is actually down from those days. 

Dave