Windows 7 Questions

tigerwoodKhorns

AmigaDOS RAM drives would survive all but a cold boot.
Just like a lot of viruses.

I don't get your point. Do you really think this:

Windows is designed to be nice at first, then get slow and clunky so that you have to "upgrade" not to mention releasing things before they are ready for prime time.

Everybody has released software early. I'm not saying it's right, but it happens.

I don't get your point. Do you really think this:  
, said: Windows is designed to be nice at first, then get slow and clunky so that you have to "upgrade" not to mention releasing things before they are ready for prime time.  
Everybody has released software early. I'm not saying it's right, but it happens.

It's a conspiracy to put out crap. 

Edited by Jeff Matthews

One of my programmers observed after Win 95 that Windows was by definition a virus.  It was invisible at first, gradually took over your HD, and finally caused your computer to crash.

We were used to stable, fully multi-tasking 32 bit OS when Windows was 16 bit and could barely run a spreadsheet without crashing. 

It's pointless now to try to describe it as you had to be there.  The fix has been in and everyone is so MS indoctrinated it's forgotten what a PC was supposed to do. 

AmigaDOS was a UNIX derivative, by far the most advanced ever created.  And forget about Commodore...they owned it but never had a clue as to its value or how it worked.  It was originally designed by a hippie free thinker named Jay Miner, perhaps one of the greatest computer minds ever.  He sold it to them.  Wish he had not done so, as the history of personal computing might have been entirely different but he didn't have the business head that Gates did.  He was actually out to do good things for people.  Never seems to work out.

Dave

Yeah, I remember the Amiga.  Lot of potential but never got much beyond toy status.  Did some cool stuff though!   An operating system isn't worth much without applications that can run on it.

Remember Windows NT up against Novell Netware?  NT sucked but folks were yanking out Netware left and right to implement that turd.  

It would have helped if Windows hadn't been implemented on the stupid segmented architecture Intel made. I think that was the larger problem. You can't entirely put the blame on MS.

I have had xp running on my wife's PC for over five years. No BSODs, no crashes, it just works like it is supposed to. Hardly ever had trouble with the MS OS versions.

Edited by Marvel

Lot of potential but never got much beyond toy status. Did some cool stuff though! An operating system isn't worth much without applications that can run on it.

Aw, but so few of us know.  Art Department Professional was well beyond where Photoshop is now.  ARexx, enforced by the OS, allowed writing automated scripts which allow batch control of multiple programs to achieve extraordinary things.  The machine picture here from 1995 was the first, to our knowledge, PC simulator to be recognized by the Federal government to provide certifications via a secure system.  It has yet to be equaled.  Holding 400 frames of animation and dealing with any given frame independently was assumed.  Three dimensional fonts and dealing with perspective was child's play was easy with a 75.00 program. 

Not fantasies.  I made an extraordinarily good living with this thing, and have continued to do so as if having had access to a time machine.  That's because Windows as only very, very slowly moved up to the abilities of this OS and all I've had to do is implement again things I'd already done.

It was not only not a toy, it was the best in class and while we thought of it as "now," turns out it was 20 years ahead of its time if only due to business ahead of right thinking.

post-7390-0-26180000-1425181482.jpg

Made this picture in 1995 in Lafayette, LA.  What was YOUR computer doing at the time?  This one had VR, a LaserDisc player, and a CD drive.  I am placing what is probably the only remaining machine of this type with Rice University. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette

the current latest Windows operating systems are the best ever . period - forget win 7 - the latest is the best ever , spending your money on the latest is the way to go -

How many times have I heard this over the past 25 years?  First "Best Windows Ever" was 3.5 for Workgroups. 

Dave

the current latest Windows operating systems are the best ever . period - forget win 7 - the latest is the best ever , spending your money on the latest is the way to go -

How many times have I heard this over the past 25 years?  First "Best Windows Ever" was 3.5 for Workgroups. 

Dave

we are in 2015 -light years ahead of 3.5 for Workgroups

Dave

How many times would you have heard it from Amiga if it lasted 25 years?

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Randyh, on 28 Feb 2015 - 8:08 PM, said:

I don't want to spend anymore money on a computer then I have to.  Although there area few things it must do.

Music files for playback.

internet

email files

Little bit of credit card info when something is bought over the web.

Do I need to start worrying yet.  

I run windows 7.

Just seen the thread and got concerned.  Don't let me detract from topic though.

john

The best operating system was "Unix" designed by Western Electric/Bell Labs in the 1950's and is the basis for Linix and Apple/Mac computer OS's. But I really liked Windows 3.1. You could also stretch that DOS came from Unix and that Windows was stretched from DOS.

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK

Like I said, I've made a good living waiting as Windows has gradually developed the abilities to sort of do things that were easy 20 years ago.  Latest is VR.  We were in the process of developing a goggles and gloves VR version of that big simulation I showed the guy working with in the 1995 picture when Commodore was looted out.  So, instead of moving forward we were forced to spend a year transcoding the simulation to Win95.  It was heartbreaking to find that so many things were simply not possible due to the crude nature of that architecture, it's 16 bit core, lack of preemptive multi-tasking, 2 channels of audio, etc, etc.  The video was, and remains, especially poor and hard on the CPU. 

Many simple things, sprites and blitters, color cycling, and such that Windows cannot do. 

The big shocker was learning that PCs weren't about improvements but about business.  OS development cycles, planned obsolescence, building dependencies. 

I am used to it now and Windows, in it's own perverse way, has been good to me.  Due to comments like those above I rarely discuss this except with those who where there and really understand. 

Done...move ahead with the topic of the next planned obsolescence. 

Dave

Randyh, on 28 Feb 2015 - 8:08 PM, said:

I don't want to spend anymore money on a computer then I have to.  Although there area few things it must do.

Music files for playback.

internet

email files

Little bit of credit card info when something is bought over the web.

Do I need to start worrying yet.  

I run windows 7.

Just seen the thread and got concerned.  Don't let me detract from topic though.

john

You sound like a good candidate for Linux.  Try Mint when you want to stop paying your tax to Microsoft. 

BTW I just ordered 2 copies of W7 with the free upgrade to 10.  I feel sick that I had to give money to MS. 

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns

Look at all these happy customers.  Looks like Office 2013 is a smash hit.  A whopping 2.2 stars. 

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Office-Home-and-Business-2013/productID.259321600

Eveny 6 minute block of time that I waste is going to literally cost me cash.  This is going to be a painful and expensive experiance and I am dreading it.  I had a functioning machine that did everything that I wanted it to do.  I hate MS so much. 

I HATE the ribbon.  Takes up real estate and mean often three or more clicks to access a function that used to take only one when I could open all tools and put them on the second monitor.  Visio is especially crippled by this stupidity.  Serious usability and productivity hit. 

Dave

I HATE the ribbon.  Takes up real estate and mean often three or more clicks to access a function that used to take only one when I could open all tools and put them on the second monitor.  Visio is especially crippled by this stupidity.  Serious usability and productivity hit. 

Dave

Yep!  Not to mention the horrible color scheme.  Their design team needs to be lined up and collectively slapped.

I purchased a new laptop for my wife, and it came with Windows 8.... We both hate it. I have Windows 7 on my HTPC, and Linux (variants of) on my media servers, and NAS. We will upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available though as Windows 8 is much quicker booting, and normal use is quicker (other than learning their messed up way of use). Supposedly Windows 10 will have all the advantages of Windows 8 with none of the problems of Windows 8, and will operate like Windows 7. I have heard that when Windows 10 is released you will have 1 year to make the upgrade for free, and after the one year you will pay.