Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

I look forward to dozens of these over the next few years as tens of thousands of tests all go right and millions of miles are added to the "gone right" side. 

BTW, why are two people standing in front of a "test?"  If that is an official test we can expect one of the biggest lawsuits in years as no responsible "test" organization would allow that.

Graf Zeppelin flew 17,000 passengers 1.7 million miles without evidence.  What do we see?  Hindenburg doing down in flames. 

People go to car races for wrecks, and are rarely interested in successes.

Dave

The stupidity of that picture caused me to do a little research.  Surprise, surprise...as most of these "spectacular failures" will turn out to be only useful to true believers.   Let's try to stay with facts.  This is from the UK, Daily Mail:

"Footage has emerged of a Volvo car attempting to self-park, but instead plowing into journalists at speedBut Volvo now claims the incident resulted from the Volvo XC60 owner not paying an extra fee to include a feature that allows it to avoid pedestrians.  The optional feature is known as 'pedestrian detection functionality' and uses a radar and camera to see pedestrians.

The $36,400 (£23,700) XC60 does have auto-braking features as standard, but only to avoid collision with other cars."

Dave

Edited by Mallette

LOL....plus a fee to avoid lamp-posts, sheep on the highway, etc etc....

Fascinating.  It sounded like you were against it.  Now you are suggesting that it be made mandatory.  I certainly agree on that!  :P

Dave

Oh yes I'm with the MAJORITY...Let all of them who want it stand in front of one...

Do you ride elevators?  :emotion-14:

OK...I said I would not engage with the horse crowd on emotional issues I don't understand. 

We have a death in Houston almost weekly of a bicyclist.  The most often given reason...which I understand and have experienced...is "they were invisible." 

Not to a machine, they wouldn't be.  Even if not 100% effective simple bicycle alerts would save a lot of lives.

Dave

C'mon Dave what did you expect, there are enough things being foisted upon us, and taking away from our freedoms...And here you are trying to gauge support for yet another thing to take responsibility away from the individual. Look it's pretty tough on the suicyclist who gets killed, but life itself is dangerous, where would you stop this insanity? Heck man I wouldn't want to bring up a kid in the kind of world that it seems you would like. If this seems like an over-simplification to you then stop thinking so darn hard, buy a motorcycle and enjoy the breeze and the freedom.

Edited by oldenough

Recent weather events in the nation's 4th largest city make me wonder what will prevent an AV from driving straight into a flooded roadway? GPS will steer the vehicle right down into the water and radar won't pick up the water.

It would take a very long time to design a sensor array and write the SW that would cover all contingencies. More $$$$$, more time.

And that just gets you a vehicle that is autonomous only on highways.

Or test tracks.

So "researchers" say millions of lives will be saved with this technology? Researchers, by definition, don't know the answers. They search for answers. Not the people who should be predicting anything. Certainly not the people who's predictions I will pay attention to.

My understanding is that the predictions, which are from a variety of sources and remarkably consistent, are based on test data to date.   Water is pretty easily handle able by a variety of means, most obvious being car to car data sharing.  Bear in mind that the human is supposed to not be asleep.  I know I won't be for a while.  As much as I trust well tested technology I take a while to get comfortable with it.  I still don't think my "smart" phone is very smart.  Can't even make a phone call on it half the time.

Dave

Oh yes I'm with the MAJORITY...Let all of them who want it stand in front of one...

Do you ride elevators?  :emotion-14:

OK...I said I would not engage with the horse crowd on emotional issues I don't understand. 

We have a death in Houston almost weekly of a bicyclist.  The most often given reason...which I understand and have experienced...is "they were invisible." 

Not to a machine, they wouldn't be.  Even if not 100% effective simple bicycle alerts would save a lot of lives.

Dave

Well, that car that Volvo just tested won't help your bicycle riders any.

I mean, if you can't get something right in one shot why bother.

As long as there are guinea pigs, there'll be able to test it. And I'm fine with that, just don't turn it lose on the same highway my children are traveling, keep it on a specialty lane with rails to keep from going off and killing people, force the driver to take control to exist the designated autonomous travel lane, let the  buyer assume all the risk, pay for a special insurance premium, and make darn sure his/her decision won't be jeopardizing my loved ones who share the same stretch of road.

FWIW, I read that during Googles autonomous Lexus testing, there were considerably more than the 11 accidents they claim. Google apparently swept those accidents under the rug, and shrugged them off as being too minor to consider... or words to that effect.

Well, that car that Volvo just tested won't help your bicycle riders any.

If you mean the one above, that was a stupid human trick that had nothing to do with Volvo and has been de-snoped already..  If you see a problem there it's because that's what you are looking for.  Whether AV or human powered when I see a car coming my way I put something solid between it and me.  Done that all my life and it has served me well.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Gents, do me a favor and search for "major autonomous vehicle accidents."  I think you'll be disappointed.  You'll really be disappointed by the Consumer Review article on "current" technology. 

"Research shows that 90 percent of crashes are caused by human error. That’s why the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and every major automaker are increasingly focusing on systems that allow the vehicle to become a partner in the drive by monitoring a car’s surroundings, warning the driver of danger, and even taking control of the car in some situations. “For the past 40 years, we’ve been working on protecting people from the crash,” says David Strickland, NHTSA’s former administrator. “This is the new North Star, making sure the crash never happens.”

Gosh, there is that "90 percent" thing again.  And those subversives at CR are quoting those communist bastards at NHTSA. 

BTW, that is from over a year ago, or about 2 smartphone generations back.  Ancient history in science and technology. 

I am SO alarmed.  Business, government, even Consumer Reports all working together on this grand conspiracy to create havoc and bloodshed on the highways. 

I really can't believe what I read here sometimes...

Dave

I really can't believe what I read here sometimes...

Dave

Yeah, there's a few of us saying the same thing....one side is right, and the other side is claiming it.

John

Edited by oldenough