Poll & Prediction: Autonomous Car Equipment at 5k by 2019

Mallette

Autonomous Vehicles: Good or Bad  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are autonomous vehicles a good witch, or a bad witch?

• Good
    • Bad

Members 1,884 posts 0 warning points LocationBritish Columbia Offline Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:13 PM It may be a good idea Dave, but the poll that you started says the majority want to regain control...

I mentioned earlier that a Forum where so many (like me) are stuck on 70 year old speaker technology and vacuum tubes probably isn't representative.  Others I am around seem excited and I know quite a few folks who have bought recently and all went with the latest.

This is not a "cause."  Just the march of time and progress.  Neither you, nor I, nor polls will have any effect on it.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I read the first link....and found two interesting quotes:

"There’s no indication that it’s capable of handling the road with far more skill than a human."

"The car did 99 percent of the driving on its own, yielding to the carbon-based life form behind the wheel only when it was time to leave the highway and hit city streets." - and then later they describe how it took a human to handle all of the specific safety scenarios they encountered along the way.

Sounds like my perspectives are further validated :P

As are mine.  99%.  Win, win.  Perfection of the machine is much easier than improving on human imperfection, source of 95% of all accidents.

Glad you noticed I did not pick and choose.  Just presenting the technology without spin.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

• Moderators

Oh yes I'm with the MAJORITY...Let all of them who want it stand in front of one...

Do you ride elevators? :emotion-14:

OK...I said I would not engage with the horse crowd on emotional issues I don't understand.

We have a death in Houston almost weekly of a bicyclist. The most often given reason...which I understand and have experienced...is "they were invisible."

Not to a machine, they wouldn't be. Even if not 100% effective simple bicycle alerts would save a lot of lives.

Dave

Yes, almost every day. But elevators are regulated, the subject of extensive legislation, uniform standards and mandatory inspections.

I think that may be where the concern lies, the eventual major expense and regulation the more autonomus the vehicle becomes.

Yes, almost every day. But elevators are regulated, the subject of extensive legislation, uniform standards and mandatory inspections. I think that may be where the concern lies, the eventual major expense and regulation the more autonomus the vehicle becomes.

Given what's at stake there will be a lot of eyes on the technology.  But no matter how expensive it is the savings in road construction, lives. productive time, medical expense, personal litigation, and such will totally outweigh the cost.

Dave

From a rational standpoint, pretty absurd, Mike.  I think I can say that 95% or more of the errors I make using my computer are human errors.  Seems to me intercepting a ballistic missile has to be a lot harder than avoiding another vehicle or road debris, yet they've managed to make that work amazingly well.  Don't think looking through a sight and pulling a trigger would be quite so reliable.

Dave

The thing about autonomy is that it always behaves the same way. If you can handle 99% of all situations (yay, huge success, right?), then you are always failing 1% of the time. It's not like that 1% magically doesn't occur, or works partially. 100% of the time that 1% results in failure of some kind.

And what are the ramifications of that failure? Well in the case of a construction zone, I can imagine all sorts of nasty realities.

Ok, so we throw technology at the construction zone problem - and create all these new systems to handle that corner case. Now our 1% is 0.5%.....we still have 100% failure for 0.5% of road conditions. What percentage of vehicles are going to encounter that 0.5% over a single commute? That sounds like a lot of accidents waiting to happen....How much does it cost to add another system for each corner case?

The rational perspective here is analyzing the ramifications of something that will occur. The thing about human errors causing accidents is they don't always occur - and there is absolutely a level of personal responsibility in those scenarios. An autonomous system that can fail, will always fail under those conditions. There is no randomness to it.....every autonomous car goes careening in the wrong direction in the unhandled scenarios. That's the difference between cognition and autonomy. And this is assuming systems that are fully functional.....throw mechanical failures into the mix and it just gets way uglier.

I believe this is why we are going to see things move in the direction of driver aids instead of full autonomy....it's the only way to keep the cognition in the system. Why do you think fighter jets have pilots? On the road the cognition itself isn't the problem (except in very rare instances)....it's the distractions.

Not once have I heard you talk about solutions to the distraction problem, or the drinking problem, or any number of the much easier to solve problems. It always has to be the technology god to save our souls from the evil torments of today's technology. Let's promote the mindlessness of our culture. Cell phone related accidents can't happen if there are no cell phones. Drunk driving accidents can't happen if nobody is drunk behind the wheel....etc. Those are problems with straightforward solutions. Why aren't you backing those efforts? And you're going to lecture us on absurdity?

Let's look at the science.  The cross country trip was interrupted only by a confusing construction zone.  It was quite clearly WAY better than 99% given the thousands of miles of differing road encountered.  And this one roads where not a whit of improvements to aid navigation have been made.

So, let's take just a single stretch of dangerous, overload highway...I-45 Houston to Dallas.  That's about 4.5 billion dollars a mile. 

Betcha you could place transponders, special paint, and other aids on that stretch of highway that would allow even current AV technology to double or better capacity and improve both speed and safety and have 9 billion or a lot more left.

Dave

Autonomous Cars Brochure.pdf

Autonomous Cars 2015.  Brochure attached.  You luddites will pleased, or not, that I can't see a single objection that has been brought up here that is not a subject of discussion.  For me, the event and subject matter is exciting from the sheer acceleration that is underway in the technology and its deployment.  

Dave

Let's look at the science.  The cross country trip was interrupted only by a confusing construction zone.  It was quite clearly WAY better than 99% given the thousands of miles of differing road encountered.  And this one roads where not a whit of improvements to aid navigation have been made.

So, let's take just a single stretch of dangerous, overload highway...I-45 Houston to Dallas.  That's about 4.5 billion dollars a mile. 

Betcha you could place transponders, special paint, and other aids on that stretch of highway that would allow even current AV technology to double or better capacity and improve both speed and safety and have 9 billion or a lot more left.

Dave

That road is so straight you could almost just tie your steering wheel into position and place a brace on the gas pedal and go to sleep.