Boosting center channel.

sean5340

Sean,

I don't boost my center channel with volume per say, but my NAD T175HD pre/pro has a feature in the manual tone controls called "center dialog" which boosts those frequencies in the human voice range in the center speaker.

Very effective in clarity of vocals.

Bill

I agree with others, I wonder if your center speaker might not be strong enough, and might not be aimed at ear height.

IMO if you instead of boosting the center 4db, I would boost the center only 2db and simultaneously turn down the L/R -2db.

You can boost the EQ for human voice in the center which may help.

Interactive frequency Chart

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I just double checked and the boost is actually 3db. Still pretty high I think. I'm gonna check the onkyo I think I remember seeing something about dialog.

My 5.1 are all in ceiling speakers. This may also have something to do with it.

I just double checked and the boost is actually 3db. Still pretty high I think. I'm gonna check the onkyo I think I remember seeing something about dialog.

My 5.1 are all in ceiling speakers. This may also have something to do with it.

I have an Onk 717.  It has a LOT of features that may help you tweak that center speaker for dialog.  From the 717 manual page 59:

Dialogue Normalization

Dialogue Normalization (DialogNorm) is a feature of Dolby Digital, which is usedto keep the programs at the same average listening level so the user does not have to change the volume controlbetween Dolby Digital,  Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD programs. When playing back software whichhas been encoded in Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD,  sometimes you may see a brief message in the front panel display which will read “DialogNorm: X dB” (X being a numeric value). The display is showing how the

program level relates withTHX calibration level. If you want to play the program atcalibrated theatrical levels, you may wish to adjust the volume. For example, if you see the following message: “DialogNorm: + 4 dB” in the front panel display, to keep the overall output level at THX calibrated loudness, just turn down the volume control by 4 dB. However, unlike a movie theater where the playback loudness is preset, you can choose your preferred volume setting for best enjoyment.

What Onk do you have?  There are features you can find in the OSD that affect your listening stage.  For instance if you use "Music Mode" from the remote controller it tends to send sound to the L/R, and if you use "Theater Mode" it sends more sounds ESPECIALLY DIALOG to the center speaker.

+++

You said you have all ceiling speakers, I would expect that to have a profound effect how the sound is distributed to your ears.  That is out of my knowledge zone, so others with more experience with that can give you better advice.

I do think if you combine all the minor tweaks available, you should be able to achieve major improvements in dialog clarity.  It just may take some trial and error on your part to find the right combination.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Don't place blame on the speaker just yet.  A number of movie soundtracks have weak center dialogue!  A large number.  I typically run mine at 0db but do on occasion have to bump the center up some on poor movie mixes.  Try a few movies preferably well recorded Blu-Ray's before going crazy with adjustments.

I've always had a problem with center channel clarity and output until I got my RC-7. I have it set at plus 3db though as well to match my mis-matched speakers, works great. I can't imagine using ceiling speakers for home theater, just doesn't seem like the sounds would come from the appropriate locations but I don't know, never heard a theater set that way.

Did I mention the ceilings are 12'?

Geez, getting important information from you, it's like talking to my wife!  :rolleyes:

Wife:  The chicken got overcooked.

Me:  How did the chicken get overcooked?

Wife:  When the house caught on fire...

/brow beating

Did you download the 717 manual yet?  It is genuinely helpful, with good descriptions of the various listening modes.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

You know, it's mostly all the dam whispering in some movies. A lot of times I'm being conservative on the volume not to disturb others and it will go from normal conversation to very low romamtic talking or sentimental I'm about to die situations.

Ok - to boost human voice, what EQ frequencies do you boost thru the center?
 according to the chart above i am seeing as low as 100 for male voices up to 1000 for the female voice at its highest.

Yet, the "fricative consonants" add clarity, and they have overtones higher than 1,000 Hz. Sure enough, the frequency chart I'm looking at has overtones for the female voice from 1,000 Hz to 8,000 Hz, with softer overtones all the way to about 15,000.   It is the fundamental frequencies of the female voice that are 1,000 or below.  Related: the "presence" range is about 2,000 to 8,000 Hz. 

People who lose their high frequency hearing with age or abuse, also lose clarity.  IMO, clarity dwells in the above ~~~ 800Hz range up to about as high as your hearing goes.

Be careful not to increase sibilance too much.   For the center channel a little screwing around with EQ is O.K. for intelligibility's sake.  For music, or for LF & RF, it is not as good an idea.  PWK used to hate "presence" controls for music.  Some manufacturers used them in their pre-amps and receivers.  He joked that they might want to include "absence" controls, as well.

Edited by garyrc