'jailbroken' T.V. ?

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

Thanks Steven. 

Did you look at the box Dave linked to prior in this thread?  Do you think it would function similarly based on the products description?

There seems to be a lot of iterations available on the retail market. That Jetstream box looks to be the closest to the one I have.  I just wonder if it is a 'full service' box. Or maybe you could even DL an app to turn it into a 'full service' box? 

Anyway, that Jetstream box as it sits looks to be worth more than what cable/satellite companies are charging monthly.

Guest Steven1963

This is a screenshot from the Jetstream box website.  This is exactly how the box I bought shows content selections.  It sounds very similar to what I bought.

post-58311-0-55640000-1427215379_thumb.p

What IS illegal (obviously) is downloading pirated movies and music from the internet to play through these or other devices. It's technically NOT illegal (to the best of my knowledge) to rip your own DVDs and CDs for archival purposes, which I've done in my own setup.

technically it's illegal to share or upload.. not illegal to download.

• Like 2

Guest Steven1963
This means I can run a totally supported version of Android and take advantage of OS updates and so on

This what interests me the most about the system you are buying. I don't care so much about the content that is 'current' ( I don't have to see it while it is still in the theater) so much as everything that is/can be available with these boxes.  And if the platform is stable with updates....once word of this gets out satellite and cable TV will be bleeding out within a year or two. Even Netflix.

Edited by Steven1963

What IS illegal (obviously) is downloading pirated movies and music from the internet to play through these or other devices. It's technically NOT illegal (to the best of my knowledge) to rip your own DVDs and CDs for archival purposes, which I've done in my own setup.

technically it's illegal to share or upload.. not illegal to download.

You are correct.

I would just want it for regular TV. I dont care about seeing a new movie while its being played in theaters. I can wait. But what I cant have, is my wife going without those dang Lifetime movies/shows! That would constitute an emergency in my house!

So I downloaded KODI to my PC and added an "add on" or two and sure enough it works. I watched a couple of movies with it. One had Japanese subtitles and standard definition and the other was just SD. So I ordered one of those little boxes made for doing this kind of thing. I picked a cheaper one ($115 for a loaded MXQ box) to give it a go on my TV. It is an Interesting concept it is for sure, but not equal to Prime or Netflix quality. 

Guest Steven1963

Sounds like a lot of options out there. I can already hear Comcast and DirecTV crying to the Fed about 'fair competition' and after lining some pockets, asking for some legislation to 'even the playing field.'  

I know I'm tired of being Dish Networks Beyatch! And I bet with all the channels we HAVE to have in order to get the ones we want, 90 % of those channels are not being watched. Its really insane if you think about it. But again, cant be doing without those Lifetime channels Buddy! No Sir!   Grumble Razem shmazem rackem @#$%^&* 

Thats a good point as I feel change is coming as well. It has been broke for quite some time and I'm curious which company will make/take the ultimate plunge in order to force the competition to at least start evaluating their programming packages.

You better believe if Apple tries something, the other big boys will try and trump them, or at least try to be level with em. Change is in the air (or cables)  :D This has been on the back burner for too long.

Guest Steven1963

I was messing around last night on the computer and because of what somebody already posted decided to try and install the XBMC (now called Kodi) onto my laptop.  You can get it here:

http://kodi.tv/download/

Just select your platform and follow the instructions.  I'm not familiar with Linux, so I had some trouble installing the repositories but it was clear that you could run this system from your laptop and then just patch into your TV/HT via hdmi and get the same programming without investing a single penny. 

I think maybe we're in for a paradigm shift in how we get TV service.

Oh please, not another paradigm shift!!  I can only handle so many of those.... :wacko:

Right now we are seeing many niche players filling a void.  However, while Apple had been a little slow to embrace the word of “streaming content on the internet” I believe that you will see Apple, Amazon and Google leading the charge, among several others with potential to play in this market, for “portable” subscriber-based internet television and the “tech-geek” interface issues will be resolved in a similar manner as the desk top personal computer evolution.  

I’ve referenced some of the various problems with the infrastructures needed for bandwidth that have been silently falling into place since 2005 at least.

One of the subtle points that I was trying to make about the jailbreak Apple TV is that there are already a huge multitude of Apps created iOS for various streaming content providers.  Search for iOS Apps sometime.  In some respects, the tech-geeks’ jailbreak of Apple TV was a great “beta” test for Apple where much has been learned.

I would think that with Apple’s purchase of Beats, they made one of their first significant steps into streaming mobile services.  Combine this with the multimedia content Apps already in place then multiply that by the number of iPhones, iPads (think mobile set top TV boxes) and the actual set top Apple TV Boxes in the marketplace………

To put the potential impact that Apple could have on the market, Tim Cook stated on June 2, 2014 that over 200 million ipads have been sold to date and over 500 Million iPhones had been sold.  Well, I see bundled offerings that include powerful hardware, the most desired “channels” of media content and services such as video, music, and chat; and at price points that will be very enticing for the average person.

While I firmly believe that Netflix was a “game changer” in many respects, they are not insulated from the changing market either as their subscriber base cannot compete with Apple as currently structured.  As companies like Apple, Amazon and Google build content libraries and develop proprietary programming; Netflix may lose the economies of scale they currently enjoy.

Just like in the past where the cable companies offered content creators predictable revenue streams, exclusive deals to sell programming content through a broadly distributed internet streaming platform will be very enticing and lucrative. 

However, while the “faces will change,” we all will still be dealing with massive corporations in the end. Progress at its finest!

• 2 weeks later...