'jailbroken' T.V. ?

Guest Steven1963

Quality IPTV is coming on strong so much sooner than most realize.

Who are the major players? I'm sold. My NetFlix movies are WAY better than the cable subscription I'm getting over the same fiber optic.

Research companies show that Netflix is by far the biggest content source of downstream internet traffic out there.

A device like a jailbreak Apple TV can access content such as Netflix, NHL, NBA, Vimeo, YouTube, ESPN, Hulu, Last.fm, Amazon, Pandora, A&E, PBS, CBS, ABC, MTV, and NBA, among volumes of others as Steve has attested to in his trial.

A little piece of useless trivia is that Netflix was offered for acquisition to Blockbuster for $50 million two years before Netflix decided on an Initial Public Offering; however, Blockbuster declined the offer.  Blockbuster who???

Well, who knows when iptv will be around and how much they will charge.  I'm gonna buy one of these 'jailbreak' boxes.  I'll give updates on how it works.  Heck, if it's good I'll start a distributorship and sell these things as a sideline.

All we are really talking about with IPTV is television services delivered using internet protocol networks such as a LAN or the internet itself rather than traditional air waves, satellite signals or cable delivery systems.  

My infrastructure comments are really in relation to ISP’s reaching their capacity while the consumer desires faster, more efficient broadband access.  While there are a few technologies in the works, the fiber optics is a fairly inexpensive proposition for a company like Google and the telecommunications companies.

In stock form the Apple TV unit is great for connecting with the computer and running iTunes or purchased movies or television shows.  

I look at the jailbreak units similar to the little $99 Sony HD tuner (inexpensive but a very powerful and great design) that totally outclassed the HD radio competition costing many times more.  A device like the Apple TV is really a very powerful small Unix computer with a great graphics processor and the “jailbreak” allows it to become a powerful interface device to access the internet media content.

KODI, which is referenced in a post above, is the software “portal” to the internet content and is actually the latest version of XBMC that originally started out as the old Xbox Media Center application.  I believe that KODI is now a free and open-source media player that has been adapted to run on Android, Linux, Mac OS X, iOS, and Microsoft Windows, among other operating systems.

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

I need to figure out the software that's used to do this to open them up as I have Roku 3 and (2) Apple TV 2's.

There are a few blogs giving step by step procedures.  I can't remember specifically which one the oldest daughter's former boyfriend had recommended to me; however, both essentially seem to go through the same procedures.

Link to the SeasOnPass software download and the firecore blog

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/3759

These links have step by step procedures

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2014/01/10/how-to-jailbreak-apple-tv-2-5-3-ios-6-1-4-using-seas0npass-untethered-mac-windows/

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/01/05/how-to-jailbreak-ios-5-3-on-the-apple-tv-2-untethered/

While it has a set price and not just a donation like SeasOnPass, I've been told this is a must-have software as it makes setting up all the apps and plugins needed really simple.

http://firecore.com/atvflash-black

Guest Steven1963

All of this is still new to me, and a bit mind-boggling. XBMC...what?  I have no idea what that little Loverbuyer® MINIX NEO X8-H box is capable of...or how to make it play movies that are still in the theater play on your home TV, or live sports, or....you get the picture.

I bought the box from the guy at work though, gonna go home and hook it up and get into it.  I'll report back what I find and what my thoughts are. ;)

I have changed my Apple TV's to where when you access the Trailers icon, it connects to my JRiver media server and then lets the kids watch the DVD movies on the server from their Apple TV's via PLEX and my Roku 3 picks them up, too.  Kind of handy.  So instead of it going to trailers.apple.com, it goes to my computer.  More channels would be nice for sure.  I look forward to the day the TV channels like HBO, Showtime, ESPN, etc., allow you to purchase ONE channel instead of having to go thru satellite or cable.  It will happen...

• Like 1

• Administrators

Just to chime in here - while "jailbreaking" any device such as an Apple TV and installing other software on them is not illegal. For example, I've got a gen-1 Apple TV that has KODI/XBMC installed on which serves up video and music that is stored on a network-attached storage, and also serves an an Airplay-capable device for when I want to stream Google Music to my HT. The devices themselves are not illegal (unless they come pre-loaded with stolen content) or otherwise stolen software.

What IS illegal (obviously) is downloading pirated movies and music from the internet to play through these or other devices. It's technically NOT illegal (to the best of my knowledge) to rip your own DVDs and CDs for archival purposes, which I've done in my own setup.

Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer.

I'll unlock this thread for now, but please note that Klipsch DOES NOT ADVOCATE illegal activities of any kind, and we just can't allow discussions of illegal activities here. So, while the talk of these devices and the free-open-source software on them is cool, please refrain from mentioning obtaining illegal movie/music files and/or pirated broadcasts. Thanks.

Guest Steven1963

Okay!  Here we go. 

I've had a few days with this 'jailbroken' android box and here are my thoughts:

1. Since it has been wiped of its original software and replaced with someone else's version, it certainly isn't up to retail standards. I wouldn't consider this a finely tuned piece of software.  The user-interface is much like you would encounter on your smart television - small icons that you use to select individual providers, such as 'Netflix.' The difference being, each provider you choose is pretty much like its own Netflix, as each has subcategories for movies, tv shows, genre selection..etc.  AND, there are literally dozens of these to choose from, perhaps into the hundreds.  So much content I have only begun to scratch the surface.

2. Connections. HDMI output with either wired or wireless internet. the guy who sold me the box said my experience would be much more enjoyable if I could hardwire the internet connection, which I cannot. So I do seem to experience the 'spinning clock' when making selections.  Sometimes it takes just a second, sometimes it takes a minute, or two.  This can be frustrating, because after sitting for a minute or two waiting for my selection to appear, it can, and sometimes does, come back with a 'connection not found' or 'content not available' message.  So I spend some time perusing the other providers looking for a specific movie.

3. Movies. Pretty much anything and everything you want to watch is available at your fingertips. Again, it is a bit overwhelming and while one provider might have everything you want to watch, it may not have the quality of the video you are looking for (SD v. HD). So you can look at another provider for better quality but, you might have to deal with subtitles, in Arabic, or Asian. So, you can keep looking and eventually, if you are persistent, you can find exactly what you are looking for - HD 1080p signal without subtitles and English language.  While this doesn't seem to be a problem with 'older' content (movies more than a couple months old) it does prove challenging to find 'newer' content (movies that we aren't supposed to be able to see in our homes yet).

4. TV shows. Same as movies. Virtually any tv show ever made is available, and even foreign stuff. Although I have not spent a lot of time with this yet, it does appear episodes are current.

5. Sound. I can't comment right now on surround as most of my gear is packed for a move and I only have 2 channel.  Surround is available (I think 5.1) according to the guy who sold me the box, and I think I've seen it in my settings options.  2 channel works just fine.

6. Remote. Clunky and not very intuitive at all. Buttons are the kind you have to push deliberately for them to operate consistently.

7. Sports. Yes. I'm told. But again I haven't had time to get into this and check it out. I can see the different providers such as NBA Live, but I haven't taken any time to get into it. It does appear all the major sports are covered and even the extreme cage fighting stuff can be watched live.

8. Additional thoughts.  I didn't have cable or satellite prior to this box. I only had Netflix. But if I did still have cable or satellite I would be turning it off immediately and saving all that cash.  This little box will take care of every viewing need I might ever want or need. Period.  Although it is clunky and a bit slow I can get used to those things. I paid $250 for it. There is no monthly fees, no setup fees. Just the $250. IMO it is well worth the cost since that is what most cable/satellite services will cost you within 3 months of billing. I will be buying another 2 or 3 of these boxes for every TV I have in the house. The guy who sold me this said he is almost done with the next generation. Which he claims will be much faster with more content.

I WILL NOT go into details about the seemingly illegal capabilities of this box so that this thread can remain active.  Don't ask in thread, but you can PM me and I will tell you what I know (I'm told this is okay to do by the mods.).  Suffice to say that you can use this box for completely legal viewing. Or not.

EDIT: BTW, even though my internet connection wasn't hardwired and I was wireless the movies seemed to buffer just fine and probably 98% of the time I never had a problem.  I can imagine if you were hardwired you would never experience issues.

EDIT EDIT: more on the interface. These 'providers' can be listed as a thumbnail image on your 'launch' screen (think desktop shortcuts) and it comes pre-installed with a few dozen or so ready to launch. About 12 thumbnails per screen and it scrolls vertically. About 8 screens initially. At the bottom of that last screen is the option to add more. Clicking this will take you to a list screen that is alphabetical. Literally hundreds if not into the thousands of additional 'providers' are available to add to your launch screens. Clicking to add them to your launch screen is akin to adding an app to your desktop.  It makes it available and ready to use.

Edited by Steven1963

You bought a "box" from "a guy" at work and you don't know if it's illegal? C'mon. :huh:

I bought some stuff on the internet and didn't claim everything on my state taxes. Can I get a "C'mon" for that too? :D

You're a bad boy.. tisc,tisc, tisc.....You better amend all those tax returns. :lol:

Edited by babadono

Guest Steven1963

http://jetstreambox.com/

Is this an example of what is being discussed here? Paying for a box once and saying good bye to the cable/ satellite a**holes sure sounds good to me. I think maybe we're in for a paradigm shift in how we get TV service.

Yes, very similar to that box. There is one thing that might be different but it can't be discussed here.  The only reason I say this is because that box is being sold over retail channels. So I am curious if it will allow certain content to be streamed like the one I have.  Mark (Mdeneen) will have some input on this since he bought a retail version.

Edited by Steven1963