Finally....My Stonehenge Build Thread!

dewthedru

Ok guys. I finished them off. I put them in the place I think I'm going to keep them but I need to run some sound checks obviously. They sound decent, but I don't think anything changed with the new amp. I'm still not overwhelmed at all and that is pretty disappointing, but they certainly have volume now that I ran the Audyssey setup. I would like to get a voltage meter to double check the power going to them because I still don't think they're putting out everything they should be. Any suggestions as to where or which one to get?

I guess my biggest issue is that they're not punchy at all. They can get loud, but I'm not feeling pounding in my chest or anything during heavy scenes. I have the low pass filter set at 20 Hz and didn't do anything with the high pass filter. Or maybe I have those backwards.

Here's a couple pictures of the finished product.

post-50408-0-08040000-1429243351_thumb.j

post-50408-0-03880000-1429243377_thumb.j

Subwoofers can be very underwhelming at first.  They're probably the least plug and play speaker you can have.  Out of any speaker, they require more work to get right.  Don't get discouraged.  Keep experimenting and if you can get Derrick over to help you tweak, take advantage of the opportunity.

• Like 1

Have you got Erich and the DIYSoundgroup.com people in on this problem yet? 

They were helpful when I did a DIY build for a Fusion 10 Pure when I screwed up my XO by soldering some components out of place.  The Fusion 10's had almost no sound output until wires were reversed.

I know you said in Post #125 the subs are louder now, but I would expect two Stonehenges to knock your fillings loose, so something doesn't sound right yet.

I think you might get more opinions by posting your concerns in the AVS.com Speakers and subs subforum. 

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/

There is also a dedicated DIY Soundgroup sub forum in the Industry section, but I don't think it gets as much traffic yet as the other forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/401-diy-sound-group-loudspeakers-subwoofers/

Edited by wvu80

I can't tell how close the subs are to the corner from the pic.  They need to be within 3 ft. to be corner loaded for some extra output.  If you have an spl meter you can run some real traps test tone.  It is a free download.  Then apply Radio Shack correction numbers to your meter readings.  This should give you an ideal of what the subs are putting out.

Ok guys. I finished them off. I put them in the place I think I'm going to keep them but I need to run some sound checks obviously. They sound decent, but I don't think anything changed with the new amp. I'm still not overwhelmed at all and that is pretty disappointing, but they certainly have volume now that I ran the Audyssey setup. I would like to get a voltage meter to double check the power going to them because I still don't think they're putting out everything they should be. Any suggestions as to where or which one to get?

I guess my biggest issue is that they're not punchy at all. They can get loud, but I'm not feeling pounding in my chest or anything during heavy scenes. I have the low pass filter set at 20 Hz and didn't do anything with the high pass filter. Or maybe I have those backwards.

Here's a couple pictures of the finished product.

Nice Subs! They look really good. Do you have the low pass or high pass set to 20hz? If its low pass then only content below 20hz are going to the subs which might be the issue. A 20hz high pass will allow everything above 20hz to come to the sub and will protect it from going lower than the driver can handle. From watching an episode of Home Theater Geeks they suggest moving the subs 25% from the front wall and have seating position 20% from the back wall for a good staring point on freq response. Maybe you are in a null at your current location? 

I guess my biggest issue is that they're not punchy at all. They can get loud, but I'm not feeling pounding in my chest or anything during heavy scenes.

Part of that is the break-in period.  At least with my ultimax's after 100 hours they opened up.  Before then the top end was muffled pretty badly.  

I guess my biggest issue is that they're not punchy at all. They can get loud, but I'm not feeling pounding in my chest or anything during heavy scenes.

Part of that is the break-in period.  At least with my ultimax's after 100 hours they opened up.  Before then the top end was muffled pretty badly.  

I was wondering the same thing, but I lack experience with new subs to know if lack of break-in is the problem.

My Fusion 10 Pure is a DIY build with Eminence PA woofs that were just lifeless new and took 100 hours before they really sounded good, but I don't have experience with subs.  I have a low end $300 Klipsch RW-12d sub that sounded good right out of the box, but one example doesn't give me any perspective.

It's just that Dru had such a headache trying to get the subs to work in the first place, I just questioned whether or not they are setup (connectors, etc) properly yet.

Edited by wvu80

When they're playing how are them there input and output meters on the amp interface looking? Are you getting plenty of signal input?

yep.  signals look fine on the amp meter.  when i have the avr turned way up the signal is maxed with the red....danger light on.  

It's just that Dru had such a headache trying to get the subs to work in the first place, I just questioned whether or not they are setup (connectors, etc) properly yet.

i think a lot of the headache was just me and my inexperience.  they are working now...just not inspiring.

My biggest question is how much can they flex. Much of the language is kind of vague and opinionated, hard to tell if its actually working. Put in something that you know has tons of real low output and see how much you can make them shake. Are we talking 1/4" max or more like 2"?

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters