Southwest Road Tour, 2.0

Jeff Matthews

This morning, we start a really nice road trip.

First part - this shows us as starting from Amarillo, but we are starting from Katy (West Houston).

Second part

First stop is Hruska's.  A gas station/convenience store/bakery in the small town of Ellinger.  It is possible they have the best kolaches in the entire state of Texas.

• Moderators

Have a great trip and safe travels. If you think you will be pulling through Austin at lunch or dinner time let me know and I will buy you lunch or dinner.

Be extremely careful on 87 going into San Angelo all the way to Brady. I am not sure how much they are running pipe trucks these days but last year that was a very deadly stretch of road according to my DPS friends.

Travis

Made it to Amarillo a couple hours ago.  This was the path

Nothing real exciting.

This was about 40 miles out of Amarillo:

post-17244-0-93760000-1431400151_thumb.j

Thanks for the offer, Travis. That was very kind of you. When we went through Austin, it was about 10:30 - 11:00 a.m. and raining.  It stopped raining once we got just west of Dripping Springs. It's sunny over this way (well, except for the fact it is night time right now).

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Why Farmington? Friends, family? I lived there for 5 years

Because there is no place on the Arizona side with any motels.  Plus, I've been to Farmington before.  

I see now, I didn't click both of your links. Looks like a great trip. Southern Colorado / Utah is a beautiful area.

No cliff dwellings this time.  We saw them in Southwest Rout Tour 1.0 last year.  This year, we are not duplicating much.  However, we are going through Zion again, but this time, we will spend more time there.  Zion is such a totally cool place.  For those who haven't been, I highly recommend it.  It's like being in a fantasy world.

Last year, we had breakfast at Happy Jacks restaurant in Cortez.  Then, we stayed in a cabin in Dolores.  Then, we went up to Telluride, across the top of the loop, and back down through Ouray and Durango.  That loop is very scenic. Telluride is a small, upscale, expensive town (because of the ski resort).  Ouray is just about as nice (but no ski resort).  Ouray had Cascade Falls waterfalls, which was totally awesome!

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Southern Colorado/Northern NM are great. We frequently travel that way since it's both close and fabulous. Telluride and places like that have gotten expensive not only because of the skiing but also because a bunch of "celebrities" have discovered them and have driven up prices. Wish they'd go away! Have a great trip.

• Moderators

Bill Walko, Natalia's 1912 Resturant, the building is a former brothel. My sister, her husband and my two nieces rode the train up, stopped in there for lunch. Youngest niece, about 12 at the time is sitting at lunch and asks, "What's a brothel?" Apparently the history of the building in on the menu, and she reads everything.

Jeff, if your timing is right when you go by Silverton,

http://natalias1912.com/