Fast Hosting

Jeff Matthews

I am going to launch a Wordpress-based site soon. Right now, it is being hosted on GoDaddy. It runs slow. Our site developer warned us early that GoDaddy would be slow. Now, I am looking at alternatives for hosting with a reputable service at a reasonable price, but importantly, with fast page-loading.

Developer mentioned Bluehost was good. Anybody want to speak on that as well?

Thanks.

• Moderators

I typically use 1and1 for most of my customer's websites.  I had a few clients that required a lot of plugins and ran out of PHP Memory.  I upgraded my package and now have 256MB of PHP Memory and have zero issues.

I've used mediatemple for about 15 years... which is now owned by GoDaddy. Haven't noticed a decrease in performance or support.

It took 20 seconds for their slider to load on their home page.  :P

It seems slow if you watch the icons that tell you it's still loading because they ajax the stuff out at the same rate as what you view it as.  Otherwise it loads up lickety split and there is no delay as opposed to what the change rate is once it is loaded.  Seems pretty clever to me.  

What I hate about GoDaddy and other similar hosting sites is that your database access is all web based nowadays.  THIS SUCKS!!!  I don't see how anybody gets anything done.  I do this stuff for a living and this aspect drives me absolutely insane.  I realize it's safer and whatnot for the cheap sites but still, all the hardcore sites I've built were all direct access with management studio and whatnot.  

• Moderators
It seems slow if you watch the icons that tell you it's still loading because they ajax the stuff out at the same rate as what you view it as.

I meant it actually took 20 seconds for the actual image in the slider to load.

I just went back to the site and it took 21 seconds for the slider to load.

When I go there it starts fading in within half a second and the first picture is fully visible within 2.  It starts ajax'ing the other images in after that point and the whole page technically isn't fully loaded until the first iteration is complete which yeah may take awhile.  Does this on both IE and Chrome, but with Chrome you can tell that it is churning in the background more.  Curious as to if you have an older browser that is trying to load the whole thing at once.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

What I hate about GoDaddy and other similar hosting sites is that your database access is all web based nowadays. THIS SUCKS!!! I don't see how anybody gets anything done.
I ftp to the site I help maintain on GoDaddy. The web interface is pokey, but I'm ok with that as it's a volunteer job. The previous person doing the site trashed it when she left, so we blew it away and switched to a WP based site. I still have to tweak the theme to get some side menus to disappear...

I've found their service to be superb.

Bruce

What I hate about GoDaddy and other similar hosting sites is that your database access is all web based nowadays. THIS SUCKS!!! I don't see how anybody gets anything done.
I ftp to the site I help maintain on GoDaddy. The web interface is pokey, but I'm ok with that as it's a volunteer job. The previous person doing the site trashed it when she left, so we blew it away and switched to a WP based site. I still have to tweak the theme to get some side menus to disappear...

I've found their service to be superb.

Bruce

I'm specifically talking about the database access, like SQL Server.  I have worked on databases every working day since 1995 with Management Studio or whatever it was called at the time.  Back in the day most any host would let you continue to access it directly.  Easy peasy.  Nowadays though, at least the last time I used it, due to security issues and laziness, even if they do have SQL Server, most of the super cheap hosts like GoDaddy make you use their version of Management Studio that is web based.  It is clunky, inefficient, stripped down, and a little different than usual.  Creating a big database with it really sucks.  Most web designers will never touch this stuff.  

I just went back to the site and it took 21 seconds for the slider to load.

near instant for me. you tend to have quite a few internet issues.... :P

ditto, here... almost instantaneous loading.