People Piss Me Off

BigStewMan

Just got an email from my union at work telling me that they've been cyber attacked and our personal data may have been taken.  They will pay for one year of ilock360 -- which i suspect is like Life Lock.  Suggested that we notify credit agencies and submit a fraud alert--which will make it harder for an account to be opened up in my name/SSN.  

I wonder how long I have to wait to feel like I'm in the clear? They discovered the attack on July 23rd and investigation reveals that it may have started as early as June 5th.

Not a lot pisses me off; but, stuff like this does.

• Like 1

Something like that happened for me with a Hospital's clinic just this week. It's really disheartening. Sorry that happened to you.

/?

Weird. Same thing happened to my little boys info after he got tubes in his ears a couple of months ago.  Can we go back to paper and just leave the net for the BSing and Amazon?

• Like 1

• Moderators

True, and it's only going to get worse in the future. Protect yourself

It's the biggest downfall of everything being digital, they will find a way to steal. 

Hope it turns out good for both of you.

It seems that privacy and security only seems to be getting worse everywhere a person looks with the proliferation of cyber attacks.

U.S. notified 3,000 companies in 2013 about cyberattacks

http://www.washingto...99f9_story.html

While the cyber-security issue is not necessarily new, the issue has been gaining a lot of traction over the past few years. In many news feeds that I read, cyber security seems to be a significant topic. Think about the new headlines over the past couple of years including the Snoeden revelations and the huge, material data breaches during 2013 (e.g., Target) and 2014 (e.g., Home Depot, Sony, JP Morgan Chase) that hit the news. Now think about the overall pervasiveness of the invisible online tracking and the "data-brokering" and "trading" of personal data.

In many circles, each of these incidents have begun to make people realize that we do not have much insight into how our personal information is collected, used and protected.  Think about just this past year and you begin to realize how these varoius aspects have begun to take an "old concern" about the security of personal information and now bring it into a much broader and more universal fear that in addition to our personal data and information, the country's infrastructure is vulnerable and the various companies that we work for, or invest in, may also be vulnerable.

everyone using a smart phone is easily hacked. thousands of apps are nothing but trojan horses to send data back to a server. smart phones are hand held broadcasting devices scooping up your most personal information and your location and sending it out every few minutes. most of it is not harmful, but some is if you get unlcuky.

The Fed's allowed hackers into the Office of Peronnel Management servers and they got all my info since birth from my background checks and security clearances; addresses, phone numbers, ssn, credit reports, etc. etc. The includes all my family (mother, sisters, wife, in-laws, children...everyone including the folks I put down as references.

Not once but TWICE this year.

Edited by USNRET

About a week or so ago I heard that LifeLock was in trouble because they did not provide their service as diligently as they led people to believe.

Mighty Favog...i want to use the ostrich defense and put my head in the sand...tell me that they're protecting me and i have absolutely nothing to worry about  :D

I was a victim of the OPM hack as well...  I have my letter giving me 18 months of credit monitoring if I want it (https://www.csid.com/opm/).  Though once we were identified as being part of the hack, we were automatically enrolled in identity theft insurance and identity restoration services.

At least my company offers an additional / different protect as well as we have two. It is what it is.