Windows Ten

derrickdj1

I've muddled through two installs. With eventual success.

The solution with 8.1 seems to be to get and install all updates for 8.1 before getting to the Win 10 download, or following an unsuccessful install. 

So you have to request that and get to the list of important and non-important updates and check the boxes for every single every one.

There is some information on Microsoft describing going to "run" and command line entering a command.  I did that and there was a brief flash to a text screen which disappeared very quickly.  No joy there.

So do try making all upgrades first.

It worked for me.

WMcD

Installed on one PC; still Reserved on t'other running Windows 7 Home Premium...

And you just keep that the way it is, well done.

Minions will be screaming for net access, when bill decides to charge for the perk.......

My experience was very NEGATIVE

I have 2 PCs with W7 Home Premium SP1,   purchaced new.  

Im like the Old Man in the Pawn Stars reality show -   don't fool with my Solitaire Game!!!  :angry: :angry:   just  DON'T !!

So about 2 hours to downdoad the FREE   W- 10, on each PC.   Then   3 hours to get my  Homegroup  to work.   :o:wacko:

Then I find my audio and video files  will not play?     WTF?  :wub:

Both my laptops have keypad have on-screen keyboard/w usb RF mouse.  The W 10 upgrade makes these controls seem dulll/slow acting.

I could list about 10 other downsides to W- 10,    like WHERE are my games?,,    I liked chess titans and solitaire. :)

Like how to play the hundreds of music and video files I have downloaded into my PCs?  =  Media Player in W- 10 can't see them?   WTF?  :wub:

SO  -   it took only 4 minutes each to revert to back to WINDOWS 7 -  sp1. :)

Both PCs work great and Homegroup is connected and working. 

Well W-10  is still free for a year may be the can fix it??    :lol:

Mach-1 :excl:

Nice to hear from you buddy, been a long time.

• Like 1

Installed on one PC; still Reserved on t'other running Windows 7 Home Premium...

And you just keep that the way it is, well done.

Minions will be screaming for net access, when bill decides to charge for the perk.......

My experience was very NEGATIVE

I have 2 PCs with W7 Home Premium SP1,   purchaced new.  

Im like the Old Man in the Pawn Stars reality show -   don't fool with my Solitaire Game!!!  :angry: :angry:   just  DON'T !!

So about 2 hours to downdoad the FREE   W- 10, on each PC.   Then   3 hours to get my  Homegroup  to work.   :o:wacko:

Then I find my audio and video files  will not play?     WTF?  :wub:

Both my laptops have keypad have on-screen keyboard/w usb RF mouse.  The W 10 upgrade makes these controls seem dulll/slow acting.

I could list about 10 other downsides to W- 10,    like WHERE are my games?,,    I liked chess titans and solitaire. :)

Like how to play the hundreds of music and video files I have downloaded into my PCs?  =  Media Player in W- 10 can't see them?   WTF?  :wub:

SO  -   it took only 4 minutes each to revert to back to WINDOWS 7 -  sp1. :)

Both PCs work great and Homegroup is connected and working. 

Well W-10  is still free for a year may be the can fix it??    :lol:

Your music files.......did you open Windows media player first? You generally must open it first as it has it's own setup. I've encountered this issue in the educational environment before under Windows 7. I use a third party app for music playback (JRiver) so I never have this issue.

It looks like I will have to re-install my Adobe Creative Suite... PS wanted me to renter the license info/registration, and Acrobat Pro is giving me an error when trying to edit certain parts of PDFs. Of course, the suite is from 2008, so newer editions or the cloud versions would probably work fine. I won't really fault MS for that.

Bruce

yeah, that's adobe's strict licensing policy!

It looks like I will have to re-install my Adobe Creative Suite... PS wanted me to renter the license info/registration, and Acrobat Pro is giving me an error when trying to edit certain parts of PDFs. Of course, the suite is from 2008, so newer editions or the cloud versions would probably work fine. I won't really fault MS for that.

Bruce

yeah, that's adobe's strict licensing policy!

We have incredible issues when installing the CC versions at our school. The cloud licensing is such a pain.

CS4 is working at home, for the most part. It may be the PDFs I'm trying to edit that are the problem.

Bruce

I have never had great success at upgrading to a whole new OS upgrade, always prefer a OS built from the factory.  I did upgrade to Win 10 on a basic Dell laptop from Win 8.1, from Dell brought 2 months ago and the keyboard failed to work.  Yes attaching an external keyboard worked and all is well, though pisses me off.  Looks fine...  I am used to Win 8.1 so will need to address this BS before I consider the rest of my arsenal.  I hear that Win 10 won't allow you to defer updates, as in you have no control as long as your on the internets...  for my music server kind of a bummer. 

went to a little demo of Win10 yesterday. gee, most of the change looks like pure nonsense. change this color to that, change this word to that, change where this box is, or where that list is, draw new icons, change the color of buttons. I fail to see what the excitement is about, except for people who actually play with all the controls and knobs as a hobby. I didn't see any way that my PROGRAMS would benefit. I don't know how MS continues to get away with this silliness.

EDIT: oh, i forgot to say that this is only "MY OPINION" - other wise people get upset. 

Edited by jo56steph74
  • Like 1

Ugh, I seem to be experiencing the buggy update reboot loop. FFS, microsoft.

Should I start messing around in the registry? I'm frankly more comfortable with the deadly voltages in tube amps than getting down and dirty in the guts of a computer.

Edited by Ski Bum

Because fixing stuff cuts into profit margins...

It's called "externalizing costs." Instead of actually debugging the software at their cost, they let customers do it at their cost. 

I always wonder how many billions of man hours on earth have been wasted turning little knobs in Miscrosft Windows? And it's JUST an OS! It doesn't even produce anything! Imagine spending hundreds of hours each year rewiring the ignition switch in your car!! Let's make the wires RED now! Let's make the key turn the OTHER WaY~~~ YIPPEEE!!!

• Like 1