Windows Ten

derrickdj1

How so? Has your city contracted with them to provide it as a public service?

Can't see why they'd need to.  They announced this a year or so ago and started replacing modems with those so equipped.  May be some nefarious plot but I don't care as long as it costs me nothing in money, bandwidth, or privacy.  Pretty sure I can shut it off, but have seen no reason to.

Dave

Can't afford to upgrade to 10 as I have to purchase all new components.

JJK

You must have a real antique.  One of my home machines is a 5 year old Dell T5500, and the other even older, a Dimension 9150.  Both have no issues at all with it.

Dave

Can't see why they'd need to.  They announced this a year or so ago and started replacing modems with those so equipped.  May be some nefarious plot but I don't care as long as it costs me nothing in money, bandwidth, or privacy.  Pretty sure I can shut it off, but have seen no reason to.

Dave

Why would AT&T broadcast wi-fi that is publicly accessible for free?  I am just trying to see where the incentives are.  

Windows 10 should work with any Windows 8 or 7 program as it's built on the same interface and structure as 7 and Vista (the Vista Kernel). Every single industrial grade application that I typically use has been operating fine, that includes ArcGIS, GR:Earth, GRLevelX, Render Studio, and WinSCP.

And actually, it plays nicer with the XDA-2 than Windows 8 did. I no longer get any drive disconnect error messages from the XDA with Windows 10. All of my music apps continue to function great too.

Edited by IbizaFlame

It's basically the core of the OS that everything is built around. From what I know, we're still in the sixth (Vista) Kernel in Windows (I.e...this is actually not Windows 10, it's Windows 6.4). Windows NT included 2000 and XP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(operating_system)

What is a kernel and how does it work?

While hardly perfect, the 'model, view, controller" concept is easiest to use to explain it.  In this case, the kernel is the "model" and is sort of a switching center.  You don't directly interact with it, but through a "controller."  The controller translates what you do in a "view," which is what you see and interact with on screen. 

The kernel has many functions, but among them are dealing with memory requests, interrupt actions (which includes most hardware like drives, mouse, keyboard and such).  You might consider it an engine.  If you put an engine (model) on chassis and connect a drive train, brakes, steering, (controller) all controlled with pedals, steering wheel and dashboard, it's sort of the same thing.  A kernel, like an engine, is a general purpose device.  The controller and view make it into a specific purpose device.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Well, just an update, no Windows 10 for me.  It has failed several times and keeps saying restart the computer.  I think it is worth getting if you are running a Windows computer and you will eventually have to upgrade.  I may call their tech suppot.  This laptop is not that old and has 8.1 OS.

Dave

Why would AT&T broadcast wi-fi that is publicly accessible for free?  I am just trying to see where the incentives are.  

to gather data on you and sell advertising

Can't afford to upgrade to 10 as I have to purchase all new components.

JJK

You must have a real antique.  One of my home machines is a 5 year old Dell T5500, and the other even older, a Dimension 9150.  Both have no issues at all with it.

Dave

I forgot to mention I have to upgrade three of them, one multi-purpose, one back-up for that, and one movie editing computer. I had enough problems just upgrading to Win 7 Pro 32 and 64 bit. Video cards, printers, and some cards still have Vista drivers and that's the limit for these units. I am surprised the motherboards still function and all the memory is ddr2. The other problem is the Win 10 drivers for the older expensive apps. Let's see now there's two new 32 inch 4K monitors and?????? now pushing toward 10 grand just to go to Win 10.

JJK

After some hesitation, I upgraded over the weekend.  I typically do not jump on the latest OS with their history of stability issues upon release, but due to other ongoing problems with WIN7, I took a leap anyway.

Minor video and audio driver issue that was quickly and easily corrected.  Took a little over an hour from start to finish.

Overall, quite satisfied so far, but I still need to get under the hood and make a few more tweaks, as times permits.

Been through these threads on this forum since XP came out.  There is no comparison in the overall positive response here to any of them.  Mirrors my own experience, and like some others, this is the first time since before XP I upgraded before the first service pack.  IMHO, 10 is better out of the block than the others at SP1.

Dave

FWIW,

I purchased a deeply discounted refurbished Win 8.1 HP laptop at Microcenter on Saturday.  On start up it started downloading Win 10 and then got cranky.  Eventually an error code led to the download of an app and then after a few more tries Win 10 is up and running. But every try had a "download 2.7 gigs. so let it run overnight, two or three times.

I can see the problem MS had.  Their keyboard interface like Win 7 was good but they couldn't get their touch screen versions adopted.  So with Win 8 and 10 they force keyboard users to charms and tiles so that they will become adept at touch screen GUI.  No matter that it is not suited to long time users of the keyboard GUI.  There must be a gazillion man hours leaning traditional Windows and that is thrown under the bus.

It's like saying that Elbonian users didn't appreciate us, and we'll solve that by having everyone learn Elbonian, like it or not, by gum..

Addition by Edit:  And of course MS knows this will be met with resistance. So they have to give away the new GUI and OS for free. 

Smile,

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott