Jubilee 53 at work

Scotty H

I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but, I think you are measuring the electrical resistance but, they are horn loaded and the horn adds more impedance to them acoustically

(or something like that)

I get lost in those conversations. 

• Like 2

Do those tops screw onto the LaScalas???

I've never seen that in my life!  (not seen all versions either)  Is that a factory thing or did someone alter them?

That would make it much easier to tinker in there for sure.  I have to reach in through the back opening to tinker.

I raced Moto-x and have had a bunch of toys....including many home-made motorcycles.

I have 23yrs old and 17yr old sons.

We play a lot!

great, more klipsch fans! my sons love their heresys!

do they fight over the GN?

Edited by angusruler
  • Like 1

So, hooking up a multimeter and checking ohm should mean something? Correct?

If not, then how would I determine what ohm my speakers are?

Pretty sure this is a decent test.

One woofer does measure close enough to 8ohm to fall into that category. (6.2-6.4)

Both in parallel measure close enough to 4ohm. (3.3-3.4)

??

I would call this speaker a 4ohm myself and not 8ohm.

The top section measures over 12ohm.....so I would consider that to be a 16ohm speaker.

pretty wild eh?

Edited by Scotty H

I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but, I think you are measuring the electrical resistance but, they are horn loaded and the horn adds more impedance to them acoustically

(or something like that)

I dunno, but my amp only cares about the electrical resistance to be happy.....

ResistanceIsFutile_zpsoo80zime.gif

So, hooking up a multimeter and checking ohm should mean something? Correct?

If not, then how would I determine what ohm my speakers are?

Pretty sure this is a decent test.

One woofer does measure close enough to 8ohm to fall into that category. (6.2-6.4)

Both in parallel measure close enough to 4ohm. (3.3-3.4)

??

I would call this speaker a 4ohm myself and not 8ohm.

The meter reading is the DC Resistance but it's the AC Impedance over the bandwidth of operation that is important for deciding which Output Tap(If available) of an amplifier to use.

You are correct that 4ohm is the best description for the Jub LF as the impedance plot clearly shows.

As mikebse2a3 pointed out, resistance and impedance are not the same thing, although they use the same value (ohms).  Checking the resistance with an ohmmeter will tell you whether you have continuity (no broken wires or connections, for example), but does not show you the impedance of the speaker.

The impedance shows what the amplifier is seeing while the speaker is operating in its cabinet or driving its horn.  It varies greatly with frequency, so the single impedance number (4 ohm, 8 ohm, whatever) assigned to a speaker is a nominal value, really more of a judgement call than an absolute value.

Edited by Islander
  • Like 2

• Klipsch Employees

One Jubilee measures 3.3

The other 3.4ohm

Why they have an 8ohm decal is beyond me...?

CLEARLY, need 4ohm output from amp. ??

Can't always believe what ya read guys!

1440719762022_zps8t4jamg0.jpg

Pretty simple. It's 8 ohms nominal. A speaker does not present a constant impedance to the amp.

• Klipsch Employees

As mikebse2a3 pointed out, resistance and impedance are not the same thing, although they use the same value (ohms).  Checking the resistance with an ohmmeter will tell you whether you have continuity (no broken wires or connections, for example), but does not show you the impedance of the speaker.

The impedance shows what the amplifier is seeing while the speaker is operating in its cabinet or driving its horn.  It varies greatly with frequency, so the single impedance number (4 ohm, 8 ohm, whatever) assigned to a speaker is a nominal value, really more of a judgement call than an absolute value.

Absolutely correct.

• Klipsch Employees

(or something like that)

I dunno, but my amp only cares about the electrical resistance to be happy.....

ResistanceIsFutile_zpsoo80zime.gif

I take it that your amp is a DC amp.