Two speakers for a center channel?

Superdave

I currently have a RB-81II for the center speaker and feel it just isn't keeping up with the rest of the system and it sounds a bit "boxy". So, I was kicking around the idea of trying (2) RB-61II's (Stacked vertically) that I have lying around. I do have a couple of open amplification channels on my UPA-700 that supplies the ceiling speakers to use for both 61's.

Or, would a entirely different center speaker be considered? If so, please give me your recommendations.

You may need an RC 62 II or RC 64II.  The RC 64 II will be the best and no further upgrades.  Running two speakers for the center leads to comb filtering and blurring of the sound.  If size is a problem and RC 7 may work.  I take it another tower is not an option.

• Like 3

I think you should very definitely try what you are proposing. The only tricky thing might be to get the left channel to one center and the right channel to the other center, and then be able to play with the volume setting.

My guess is that you'll like it very much.

WMcD

I think you should very definitely try what you are proposing. The only tricky thing might be to get the left channel to one center and the right channel to the other center, and then be able to play with the volume setting.
My guess would be to use a "Y" adapter to both the inputs of the amplifer so both are receiving the same signal.

The RC 64 II will be the best and no further upgrades

ha thats funny! hate to be the one to always say it but there are a lot better centers out there than the 64ii 

in all seriousness i dont know how much better two 61's will be over a single 81. i mean it never hurts to try since you have it all already. I've never heard the 81. but i would almost say the boxiness comes from it being close to the wall or something with placement. and as far as not keeping up then you may be in a whole other situation. how loud are you getting to on the volume when you feel it starts to fall behind??

Edited by Scrappydue

The RB 81 is a very capable speaker that should keep up.  There may be something with the integration with the mains.  Just trying to think of something that might help.

One thing to try if running an RC 64 is use FH speaker and let them help mesh the timber between the mains and center.

Scrappy, I have never had problems with dialouge from the RC 64.  The dialouge is clear, plenty loud, it would be interesting to try and impove on that.

Edited by derrickdj1

The RB 81 is a very capable speaker that should keep up. 
yeah i agree. i mean yeah its a big room but i didn't think he was going super loud on volume. but i could easily see if you were going for reference that it could run out of steam. 

Scrappy, I have never had problems with dialouge from the RC 64
oh i dont doubt you dont have a problem with it. no one i know does. only once you move to something different you realize. but it has to be a good step up i think. i enjoyed the 64 while i had it for sure. wasn't until i heard some of the jtr noesis that it no longer cut it for me. and even still with all the stuff i have heard i still think there are only a handful of things out there that can top it and MOST of them are not your average size speaker that will mesh well in a typical home setting. only one i have come across that does that is the palladium. everything else is HUGE stuff.  

I take it another tower is not an option
That's right Derrick. I can't fit a 82 under the TV. I know might say that the 64 is not voice or timbre matched, but I would like to have better dialogue. My beautiful wife says "Turn the subs down", but I have them less than flat!

I can't remember the name of the term, but it's the opposite of "null."  The sub might be hot in her LP.  You might want to sit in her seat and see if it sounds hot to you.

Forget about the RC64. I thought it was totally over rated...had one for a while ...sold it went back to RC35.....with the extra money I bought 2 pair of RB 35's....and one pair i bought from you derrickdj1

It is nice to hear you are enjoying the speakers.  They do sound oh so, nice!

Personally, I think the voicing and reproduction sounds better through a dedicated center channel speaker verses two bookshelf or towers. I have run two small center channels together from a single center channel output on my receiver a while back. One +/- out from the receiver's single center channel out and two separate speaker cables, one to each speaker. It worked out fine.

You may need an RC 62 II or RC 64II.  The RC 64 II will be the best and no further upgrades.  Running two speakers for the center leads to comb filtering and blurring of the sound.  If size is a problem and RC 7 may work.  I take it another tower is not an option.

second that.

been there, done that. One is better

Edited by artto
  • Like 1

I'm not sure that "boxy" sounds will be resolved by adding another center. You're just going to get more of the same while introducing new problems. :)

As for lobing, yeah side by side horizontal would be kind of bad except for maybe the center seat. Supposedly our ears aren't nearly as sensitive to going vertical though. Stacking two wouldn't be quite the same lobing issue as what most people mention.

Hmm, maybe I wound up sounding like a Do-Do.  Serves me right for not knowing your system -- or asking of course.

I though maybe you did not have a true L+R output to serve as a center line level to drive an amp to drive the speakers.  But you did have a set up where you could drive the two speakers in a conventional stereo set up.  In that case, you could just stack the two speakers and get L+R from the stack.

If you have a center L+R (or mono) of course you can drive amps and the center as you please using a Y splitter.  So you have a single L+R feeding two amps.  Let me say here, you are splitting the mono signal.

Again, I don't know what you have as far as pre-amp outputs. 

But one thing you shouldn't do is use the Y the other way around with each leg plugged into a L and R respectively to join the outputs of the pre-amp.  Here you might well be tying together the two channels internal in the pre-amp.  Then you've destroyed separation and your main outputs will be L+R in each channel, which is bad.

You'll note that PWK avoided this problem in his mixing box by using isolating resistors of several thousand ohms to form the Y joiner. 

So, the lesson is that the Y set up can be used as a joiner, or a splitter.  It depends on what the Y is connected to.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

The RB 81 is a very capable speaker that should keep up. 
yeah i agree. i mean yeah its a big room but i didn't think he was going super loud on volume. but i could easily see if you were going for reference that it could run out of steam. 

Scrappy, I have never had problems with dialouge from the RC 64
oh i dont doubt you dont have a problem with it. no one i know does. only once you move to something different you realize. but it has to be a good step up i think. i enjoyed the 64 while i had it for sure. wasn't until i heard some of the jtr noesis that it no longer cut it for me. and even still with all the stuff i have heard i still think there are only a handful of things out there that can top it and MOST of them are not your average size speaker that will mesh well in a typical home setting. only one i have come across that does that is the palladium. everything else is HUGE stuff.  

So are you saying my idea of turning a single CF-3 horizontal is over the top? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mark

• Like 1