Music Lover vs. Audiophile

Mallette

First, I don't mean that in the sense of a competition.  It is simply a contrast.  There are many of us who are half both and those who are more one than the other.  Neither is better...just different.  I will state my values as a music lover and I believe these to be general to why music lovers come to the high quality audio reproduction table:

1. Timeless music that has, or will, remain with us as long as humanity exists.

2. Performance at the highest level of artistry and passion humans can manage. 

3. Recordings made by those who value 1 and 2 and employ available tools with the intent to create a record (generic use of the term) with the highest level of accuracy possible.

The above doesn't leave out artificially created music.  Alan Parsons and many others handle all three with excellence in producing music that exists only when it is reproduced. 

Those who hold with the above are going to be format and media agnostic.  For those whose passion is the music a grungy 78 dug out of a box in a barn of an unknown Delta blues performer is a life changing event.  We do not hear the medium, we hear the magic and it is transformative. 

Dave

Sheesh Dave,

I never knew you did drugs??

Those were not skittles, Don't eat them!!

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

I liken audiophiles to classic Mustang guys who are restoration fans. They want the original factory parts if at all possible. New-old stock is what they strive for. If it has original factory markings, that's like a wet dream to them. They will even go so far as to get period-correct batteries. Meaning, it's more about reproducing what the car was originally intended to be rather than the actual enjoyment of the finished car.

Me personally, I'd rather have Ken Block's Hoonicorn. I have about the same mindset when it comes to music reproduction.

I feel you are 180 degrees out on this, every single person here has a large portion of audiophile in them, or we would not be spending so much on speakers, are systems, or being involved with a group like this forum in the first place!!

I think the above answers the question made as to why 50% of those at concerts are women, but < 5% are audiophiles.

I think Jackson Bart made an exceptionally relavent point in his post as to "do you crank your cheap car stereo up when a song comes on that you like?"

If we are truly just music lovers, why the "NEED" for better performance??

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 1

i come here to chat with scumbags. i usually listen to music while doing so.

Michael,

I NEVER ever thought of you as a scum bag, even before

I met you !!

Now that I have met you, I still don't think of you as a scum bag....

I just think you are a little weird with some mental health issues. :)

Roger

• Moderators

Michael,

I met you !!

Me neither

Me neither 

Well that explains why he seems to fit in, It seems to be part of the overall trait of many here, of course I'm completely normal  :wacko:  :huh2: 

Roger

Now realize we have witnessed this taken to a whole other level, and I don't care to see that again ! :unsure: :wacko2:  :o  

Mr. Mallette Man,

Right-o! Well you are a recording engineer and make your own material. Us others (well, some of us), just like Frank Sinatra and Peggy Lee and Lalo Schifrin and Gordon Lightfeet,  and we buy records made for playing on HiFis so we can enjoy the songs. We've never been to all those studios, and even if we were there, they put one guy in a room, and another guy in a booth, and maybe the singer comes the next day and lays down the voice over the tracks created the day before. There really isn't any "performance" so to speak. It's just record making. Might as well be a piano roll.

I've been to live venues, and usually there is so much talking, and drink clanking and air conditioning pumps running and laughter and shuffling of chairs you can't get a good clean sound. Then they play the music over some Bose stage speakers, so, live ain't gonna be my thing either.

So, yeah, I get that the best deal is to record your own performers. But, I'm not sure many people are doing it that way.

Not all bands use Bose, and the chatter and clink are all part of live.  In the days when "classical" performances were new, there were apple vendors and such walking around hawking their wares much like at a baseball game.  It was the studio that has warped so many people's concept of what it "should" sound like.

• Like 1

Michael,

I met you !!

Me neither

Me neither 

Well that explains why he seems to fit in, It seems to be part of the overall trait of many here, of course I'm completely normal  :wacko:  :huh2: 

Roger

Now realize we have witnessed this taken to a whole other level, and I don't care to see that again ! :unsure: :wacko2:  :o

Agreed DEEETAL.....DEETAL !!! :)

Rog

Michael,

I met you !!

Roger

Thank.. you... ? ...

• Like 1

I've been to live venues, and usually there is so much talking, and drink clanking and air conditioning pumps running and laughter and shuffling of chairs you can't get a good clean sound.

Yes, sir.  Been there done that, and here is the result.  Let me know what you think.  Bear in mind this was originally in 24/192 and so is dumbed down...  Not sure if the link will take you directly to St. James Infirmary or not, but scroll down if it doesn't.  Let me know what you think. 

Dave

I've been to live venues, and usually there is so much talking, and drink clanking and air conditioning pumps running and laughter and shuffling of chairs you can't get a good clean sound.

Yes, sir.  Been there done that, and here is the result.  Let me know what you think.  Bear in mind this was originally in 24/192 and so is dumbed down...  Not sure if the link will take you directly to St. James Infirmary or not, but scroll down if it doesn't.  Let me know what you think. 

Dave

Hey, that's swell Mr. Mallette man! The whooping and hollering is great. Do you record all your own music? That's great. I don't have that skill, and I like too many old stars that are dead and gone!

Good job.

Michael,

I met you !!

Roger

I can attest that he isn’t a scumbag…at least not officially--he doesn’t come to any of the meetings.

• Like 3

I liken audiophiles to classic Mustang guys who are restoration fans. They want the original factory parts if at all possible. New-old stock is what they strive for. If it has original factory markings, that's like a wet dream to them. They will even go so far as to get period-correct batteries. Meaning, it's more about reproducing what the car was originally intended to be rather than the actual enjoyment of the finished car.

Me personally, I'd rather have Ken Block's Hoonicorn. I have about the same mindset when it comes to music reproduction.

Based on this I am both, as I would want to redo the car to stock, then use it as an everyday driver until it needed to be redone again,or I got bored of driving it.

• Like 1

i love music…the higher quality sound the better; but, i’ll listen to someone beat two sticks together if it sounds good.  I just won’t listen to Fleetwood Mac--a man has to maintain some standards.

I’m generally not going to listen to country music at home (except for the awesome Glen Campbell); but, i’ll sure listen to it live--and enjoy it.

Edited by BigStewMan