Music Lover vs. Audiophile

Mallette

Regurgitating black culture? Holy Smokes! I wonder if Taylor Swift is regurgitating white culture?

re·gur·gi·tate

rəˈɡərjəˌtāt/

verb

gerund or present participle: regurgitating

bring (swallowed food) up again to the mouth.

"gulls regurgitate food for the chicks"

synonyms: disgorge, bring up

"a ruminant continually regurgitates food"

repeat (information) without analyzing or comprehending it.

"facts that can then be regurgitated at examinations"

synonyms: repeat, say again, restate, reiterate, recite, parrot

"regurgitating facts"

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I just won’t listen to Fleetwood Mac--a man has to maintain some standards.

Does that mean with Peter Green or with the chick singers? New or old Meatwood Flac? 

Interesting.  You're the second person that has asked me that very question.  Our late forum friend Boxx asked me that and urged me to listen to some old fleetwood mac.  Honestly, i've never checked out their history.  I know when they did the song/album TUSK, i said that I officially couldn't stand them.  I'm going to guess that's "new" Fleetwood Mac???

Tusk is awful.  To top it off there's four sides of awful.  Only the title track has anything going for it.

In my opinion Rap has no melody

Do you know what a melody is?

OK, you win that point with your video example.   :smile: 

That tune does have a melody, but using the same video can we agree that Mr. Street's voice has no musical range, and the notes (spoken words?) are out of tune?  :wacko:  :tongue:

Such an uplifting theme for the children who were singing, that they were so cheerful and upbeat that none of them was going to die today.   :blink:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Its like buying a car for the pure purpose of trailering it to the car shows and setting up your folding chairs and sitting behind it.  At the end of the show putting back on the trailer and then putting it away in the garage until the next car show.  If that is your think, look at least its some what social, then so be it. 

That tune does have a melody, but using the same video can we agree that Mr. Street's voice has no musical range, and the notes (spoken words?) are out of tune?  :wacko:  :tongue:

Such an uplifting theme for the children who were singing, that they were so cheerful and upbeat that none of them was going to die today.   :blink:

The irony is that the tune below is considered by many to be great music. The singer sucks and only hits 3 notes through the verses, the same melody repeats over and over, it sounds uplifting at least on the surface... what's the difference?

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Regurgitating black culture? Holy Smokes! I wonder if Taylor Swift is regurgitating white culture?

re·gur·gi·tate

rəˈɡərjəˌtāt/

verb

gerund or present participle: regurgitating

bring (swallowed food) up again to the mouth.

"gulls regurgitate food for the chicks"

synonyms: disgorge, bring up

"a ruminant continually regurgitates food"

repeat (information) without analyzing or comprehending it.

"facts that can then be regurgitated at examinations"

synonyms: repeat, say again, restate, reiterate, recite, parrot

"regurgitating facts"

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

You can call it whatever you want. Apparently I don't have the words for it. Look on youtube for "Waka Flocka Hard in Da Paint" for an example. I'm not posting it.

The irony is that the tune below is considered by many to be great music. The singer...only hits 3 notes through the verses, the same melody repeats over and over,,,

I don't know if it's possible to discuss the matter of music quality on a forum like this without flaming or someone getting emotional. I think that it's unfortunate.  What you are describing is the presence or absence of virtuosity in music performance and music composition.  This is one of the fundamental precepts in music: the idea of "good music" vs. "not good music": we don't talk directly to that subject - but only gloss over it as if we have some sort of "understanding" what that is.  I can assure you, we don't have agreement on just what that means, unfortunately.

For me, if a singer can't sing as well as a junior high/middle school all-region choir performer, then my gut reaction is: "well someone might think that they have style, but to me, they can't sing".  [That actually rules out a whole bunch of performers in pop, country, rock, blues, and other genres of music.  There are good musicians in every genre, but sometimes you have to look hard to find them, IME.]  

Further, for me, a simple blues progression over and over isn't terribly rewarding.  If a musician can really sing (on-pitch and with actual vocal quality) and can mix it up in terms of compositional style, keys, modes, and chord progressions/modulations (assuming some sort of tonality exists for the music being played), then I'd say that the music has some quality or goodness.  A lot of pop music sounds the same to me - and not in a good way.  It might be entertaining at times, but it's not "good music" in my dictionary.

It also doesn't help to know if someone is sharp or flat without having to have a reference tone to compare to (...I'm talking about a form of absolute pitch).  It's actually somewhat stressing to me to hear music being played sharp or flat. 

I'm pretty sure that I'm in a minority but that standard has existed in music for centuries.  This is something that I know I can't turn off, unfortunately.  That portion of my musical background won't disappear.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I don't know if it's possible to discuss the matter of music quality on a forum like this without flaming or someone getting emotional. I think that it's unfortunate.  What you are describing is the presence or absence of virtuosity in music performance and music composition.  This is one of the fundamental precepts in music: the idea of "good music" vs. "not good music": we don't talk directly to that subject - but only gloss over it as if we have some sort of "understanding" what that is.  I can assure you, we don't have agreement on just what that means, unfortunately.

I'm not emotional about it other than having a firm belief in the idea that you can't dismiss entire genres. Doesn't really matter what kind it is. It's all in what you appreciate. I like it all really so nobody's raining on my parade.

Taste in music is really no different than mens taste in women... it's rare that anybody will agree. I know guys who are head over heels in love with Christina Hendricks. I just shake my head. Just kinda shallow IMO. No interest whatsoever from me. Music's really no different.

Art is really no different. Somebody was praising some artist who only paints three solid color bars on these giant canvases then has you stand two feet away. I think it's pure silliness. Whoever saw them was truly impressed though.

The human mind is a funny thing and we shouldn't belittle others who have different tastes.

Wvu80 I stand correct. Guess I'm thinking of more traditional hard core rap. This video has melody and a positive message I think. It also has singing and a bit of instrumentation though. But I will say I may have been too broad in my previous post. It would still never touch the tray in my CD player lol.

• Like 1

I'm not emotional about it other than having a firm belief in the idea that you can't dismiss entire genres. Doesn't really matter what kind it is. It's all in what you appreciate. I like it all really so nobody's raining on my parade.Taste in music is really no different than mens taste in women... it's rare that anybody will agree. I know guys who are head over heels in love with Christina Hendricks. I just shake my head. Just kinda shallow IMO. No interest whatsoever from me. Music's really no different.

Indeed, you are absolutely right. Many strippers like to dance to rap, I'm told, so in an effort to broaden my cultural horizons and increase my appreciation of other genres I believe I will go and see if I experience an epiphany. :D

Edited by Don Richard
  • Like 1

Taste in music is really no different than mens taste in women.

Clearly, we're talking past each other.  Perhaps what I'm referring to is closer to religious experience and good music (literally).   Perhaps we don't have a point of departure for that discussion.  It's okay...now we know.

I'm not emotional about it other than having a firm belief in the idea that you can't dismiss entire genres.

I didn't--but I updated the wording in my original post so that it might be more difficult to misunderstand the meaning of the words used.  Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Chris

• Like 1

Losing track of this thread.  It's way OT.  Any chance of further comment that is ON topic?

Dave

No.

Yezzir, ol' Brian always there with the gasoline... :P

It IS possible to carry on this discussion without trashing other peoples taste.  There is nothing wrong with saying one doesn't care for something, but making a judgment that an entire genre or group of aficionados are idiots isn't only bad taste it's incredibly rude and ignorant. 

I have my preferences, which include band organs.  In my case I can take ribbing from my friends.  OTOH, not so much from people I don't know from squat.  I mentioned I'd poked Thebes from time to time...but he and I go back a decade and that's different. 

Actually, I've made the point I opened with.  The peace around here in general is totally amazing considering the gulf in opinions both regarding music and the importance of equipment vs. music. 

Probably should have left it be, but I think this bunch can handle it.  Then we can work on peace in the middle east.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 2