Mass Killings - You Get What You Want in Society

Jim Naseum

Believe it or not, there are countries where few people have guns, except for police and criminals, and yet life goes on.  Some people even have to be reminded to lock their doors.

If you have an emergency in the middle of the night, like being injured in a car crash, you know you can knock on almost anyone's door and get help, not get shot through that door by a paranoid homeowner.

There's almost zero chance that an elderly lady will be shot and killed in the middle of the night when she returns from using the toilet, because her paranoid elderly husband thought she was an intruder and reached for his bedside gun.

There's almost zero chance that a mother shopping in a grocery store will be shot to death by her toddler in the shopping cart who reached into Mom's purse, pulled out her handgun and accidentally discharged it at her.

There's almost zero chance that a little boy will kill his brother because they found their paranoid father's bedside gun and were playing with it when the little boy accidentally discharged it.  How many times a year does that particular tragedy happen?

Did you notice that the word "paranoid" cropped up several times?  Consider a country like Israel, which is surrounded by larger countries that have vowed to wipe it off the map, where suicide bombers go to markets, or get on buses, in a frequent effort to kill as many Israelis as possible.  Those Israelis have very good reasons to be paranoid.  And yet, you'd probably find more Texans carrying sidearms than Israelis.

The world is a scary place sometimes, but it's not as scary as the NRA would have you believe.  Their ongoing efforts to put a gun in every pocket or purse or bedside table or home vestibule or car or RV have made America a far more scary place than it used to be, but it's still not as bad as they'd like you to believe.

In addition to the large number of accidental shootings that are the inevitable result of having guns in the homes of large numbers of citizens, along with ease of legal purchase of guns, mass murders are now much easier to accomplish, because it has become so easy for people with grudges or mental problems to get their hands on a gun, or several guns in many cases.

In many ways, the NRA is the problem, not the solution.

Disneyland?

Did you notice that the word "paranoid" cropped up several times? 

There's a deep irony in the USA with respect to security. We have by far the largest and most deadly military force in the world, and that includes thousands of nuclear missiles. If you just looked at global defense budgets, you'd have to say, "WOW - the USA is the most paranoid country on earth!" And yet, in spite of this almost comic book absurd defense posture globally, people live in constant and perpetually fear so deep they have to build armories in their homes. In other words, safety is obviously unobtainable!

But of course, it all has a purpose having nothing whatsoever to do with security, but rather wealth accumulation of the elites.  

The NRA is just a lobbying front for the arms industry. So, nothing much has to be said there. Arms makers want to make and sell more arms. They give NRA a pile of money, which NRA uses to bribe Congresspeople. Nothing important to be said. Our entire system is based on this formalized bribery. Congresspeople are not complicated. They want to stay in office because it's the greatest job in the world. It takes money to stay in, so whomever has the money is a friend to the congressperson. We need to get much deeper than that to understand our gun obsession. 

We get what we want, so why is it we want this? It obviously creates a massive benefit somewhere, right?

It does create a massive benefit.  A small number of rich people get massively richer, at the cost of the lives of the people they claim to be helping.

Yup...It's a clever system...not fair..but clever.

Believe it or not, there are countries where few people have guns...

you know you can knock on almost anyone's door and get help, not get shot through that door by a paranoid homeowner.

Oh you mean like what happened in England.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-28558828

lady will be shot and killed in the middle of the night when she returns from using the toilet, because her paranoid elderly husband thought she was an intruder and reached for his bedside gun.

Oh you mean like Oscar Pistorius in South Africa:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-trial-what-pistorius-claims-what-the-prosecution-claims-and-how-the-two-different-9724393.html

There's almost zero chance that a mother shopping in a grocery store will be shot to death by her toddler in the shopping cart who reached into Mom's purse, pulled out her handgun and accidentally discharged it at her.

Almost sounds like some kind of crap that would happen in Australia.

http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/father-gives-toddler-loaded-gun-for-facebook-photo/355991

There's almost zero chance that a little boy will kill his brother because they found their paranoid father's bedside gun and were playing with it when the little boy accidentally discharged it.

Hmmm... almost sounds like France.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/10521615/French-teenager-accidentally-shoots-father-dead-and-turns-gun-on-himself.html

Did you notice that the word "paranoid" cropped up several times?  Consider a country like Israel, which is surrounded by larger countries that have vowed to wipe it off the map, where suicide bombers go to markets, or get on buses, in a frequent effort to kill as many Israelis as possible.  Those Israelis have very good reasons to be paranoid.  And yet, you'd probably find more Texans carrying sidearms than Israelis.

You're talking about a very homogenous and tiny country. It's literally like 1/25th the size of Texas and isn't exactly a melting pot.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

There's a deep irony in the USA with respect to security. We have by far the largest and most deadly military force in the world, and that includes thousands of nuclear missiles. If you just looked at global defense budgets, you'd have to say, "WOW - the USA is the most paranoid country on earth!" And yet, in spite of this almost comic book absurd defense posture globally, people live in constant and perpetually fear so deep they have to build armories in their homes. In other words, safety is obviously unobtainable!

But of course, it all has a purpose having nothing whatsoever to do with security, but rather wealth accumulation of the elites.

Comments like this are pretty dumb. Friggin armories because they're paranoid. Jeez.

I can tell you I'm a shooter and know plenty of people with quite a bit of guns. They are typically the most respectable people I know. Walk into most any Wal-Mart and look for a thick book on 3-gun in the sporting goods section, you'll see friends of mine. I know very upstanding business men with large collections. I myself grew up with about 27 guns in the house, my grandfather had a custom safe made big enough that 5 people fit inside. My uncle owns a large gun store, he's the same guy who you'll find patrolling a large high school every day with a gun sniffing dog keeping all the students safe. I can go to matches where dozens of semi-auto rifles are being unloaded by guys who are sprinting and the only thing I'm ever worried about is my ears.

None of this has anything to do with paranoia. Those aren't the people who are paranoid or are the people you need to worry about. Guys collect and shoot because it's fun, period.

The guys you do need to worry about are the ones who buy one used Hi Point and carry concealed regardless of any laws. These are the guys who never go shooting, and probably don't even know how to clean it. Guys with big collections are typically the good guys.

• Like 1

My point (at last!) is that there is a psychological and emotional cost to working in the arms industry. Those skilled workers could be making medical equipment, performance car parts, or even hi-fi gear. They would be healthier and happier. In a related note, what brought an end to the death penalty in the UK? I wasn't able to find a link today, but I remember reading that the workplace health and safety regulations were factors. More than a few of the executioners had problems with their marriages and with alcoholism. Eventually, the costs of the death penalty were seen as too high, while its deterrent value was in doubt.

:emotion-21: :emotion-21: :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

My point (at last!) is that there is a psychological and emotional cost to working in the arms industry. Those skilled workers could be making medical equipment, performance car parts, or even hi-fi gear. They would be healthier and happier.

Just because you know a guy who got super bummed out in a repetitive and fairly dead end job doesn't mean you can generalize like that. I know firearm trainers, gun company reps, rifle manufacturer owners, custom builders, gunsmiths, gun store owners, target manufacturers, security company owners who employ armed guards, FBI trainers, SWAT team members, a trained sniper or two, several guys who have seen combat, etc., etc., etc. All of them are always all smiles especially when something related to guns is involved.

Now, a guy who made .50 cal cartriges all day, in front of the same stupid machine, every day, for years, yeah he'll probably be all depressed. And, so will a guy who puts the spring in lawnmower pull handles. I've actually done that, it sucks. People get majorly depressed due to their jobs all over this country in every industry.

Hell we even had a guy from the trailer factory I work with try to kill himself a few days ago. Should we come to the conclusion that building trailers has an unhealthy emotional toll that comes with it? That's a ridiculous conclusion unless you have widespread data to back up that silly assertion.

Lots of people hate their jobs. Working sucks. Your friend isn't unique in this and it certainly isn't evidence that anybody who works in this industry is at risk by default for mental problems.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, there are countries where few people have guns, except for police and criminals, and yet life goes on.  Some people even have to be reminded to lock their doors.

If you have an emergency in the middle of the night, like being injured in a car crash, you know you can knock on almost anyone's door and get help, not get shot through that door by a paranoid homeowner.

There's almost zero chance that an elderly lady will be shot and killed in the middle of the night when she returns from using the toilet, because her paranoid elderly husband thought she was an intruder and reached for his bedside gun.

There's almost zero chance that a little boy will kill his brother because they found their paranoid father's bedside gun and were playing with it when the little boy accidentally discharged it.  How many times a year does that particular tragedy happen?

The world is a scary place sometimes, but it's not as scary as the NRA would have you believe.  Their ongoing efforts to put a gun in every pocket or purse or bedside table or home vestibule or car or RV have made America a far more scary place than it used to be, but it's still not as bad as they'd like you to believe.

In addition to the large number of accidental shootings that are the inevitable result of having guns in the homes of large numbers of citizens, along with ease of legal purchase of guns, mass murders are now much easier to accomplish, because it has become so easy for people with grudges or mental problems to get their hands on a gun, or several guns in many cases.

I can think of numerous incidents here in Utah in the past year alone that involved violent home invasions. One in which a homeowner shot the attacker and another where a poor girl was almost stabbed to death. The NRA is a convenient straw man for the  anti-gun crowd but the truth is a majority of Americans hold their firearms out of a duty of self preservation and not reliance on the State's monopoly of violence. We are not all NRA brainwashed paranoid rednecks like the media is trying to portray. Mass shootings are a fairly recent phenomenon yet the firearms we have now have been just as available for 30+ plus years. We need to get to the root of the problem instead of following the politicians who ignore it and instead simply use these incidents to push their agenda to disarm the American people.   

• Like 2

Far and away the most notorious mass murderer in America is our own government. They simply do it somewhere else. It is the same government that is working feverishly to disarm its own citizens.

• Like 1

Comments like this are pretty dumb. Friggin armories because they're paranoid. Jeez.

Funny, but the people in these gun discussions weren't complaining about being able to go to shooting contests, they were complaining about "self defense." Listen to the mother of the Oregon shooting talking about her many loaded guns and tell me that isn't about paranoia. Here she is: “I keep two full mags in my Glock case. And the ARs & AKs all have loaded mags,” Ms. Harper wrote. “No one will be ‘dropping’ by my house uninvited without acknowledgement.”

So really, how dumb is it to pretend that the conversation is about shooting contests?

Is the USA trying to disarm its citizens? You hear that incessantly on TalkRadio. It is utter nonsensical blather by cheap hucksters appealing to rubes to gains support and of course, money. 

What's the evidence? The number of guns is going up, not down. So, they obviously are not succeeding. How is that possible to say they want your guns when they can, in an instant, remove many other rights without even a squawk? Where were all the ardent rights protectors when the Patriot Act was passed? Where were all these Constitutionalist Defenders when the rights to privacy were shredded in the phone tapping revelations? Whenever the US government wants to change the rules, they simply change the rules, and the citizenry complies silently. Ergo, if they WANTED to disarm you, they would. It's that simple. It would be done already. First, they'd shut down the arms makers, then the gun shops, then grab all the records, and then announce a time for you to turn them in, and when you didn't, you could expect the ATF or surrogates to blow your doors open. Don't be foolish on this point. If they want something, they get it. You are powerless, just as you were against the Patriot Act, being searched at air terminals and all the rest. I guess those rights and freedoms just weren't worth bothering with? LOL

You are reading the situation all wrong. The 'government' comes and goes. Today the guy is named Obama, tomorrow it will be someone else. What abides is the ruling class Establishment, and they want as many guns out there as they can pump into the system. If you don't understand why that is, you haven't done much analysis. No one is coming to take your guns. Guns and violence among the sheep is fine with them. 

• Like 1

Is the USA trying to disarm its citizens? You hear that incessantly on TalkRadio. It is utter nonsensical blather by cheap hucksters appealing to rubes to gains support and of course, money. 

What's the evidence? The number of guns is going up, not down. So, they obviously are not succeeding. How is that possible to say they want your guns when they can, in an instant, remove many other rights without even a squawk? Where were all the ardent rights protectors when the Patriot Act was passed? Where were all these Constitutionalist Defenders when the rights to privacy were shredded in the phone tapping revelations? Whenever the US government wants to change the rules, they simply change the rules, and the citizenry complies silently. Ergo, if they WANTED to disarm you, they would. It's that simple. It would be done already. First, they'd shut down the arms makers, then the gun shops, then grab all the records, and then announce a time for you to turn them in, and when you didn't, you could expect the ATF or surrogates to blow your doors open. Don't be foolish on this point. If they want something, they get it. You are powerless, just as you were against the Patriot Act, being searched at air terminals and all the rest. I guess those rights and freedoms just weren't worth bothering with? LOL

You are reading the situation all wrong. The 'government' comes and goes. Today the guy is named Obama, tomorrow it will be someone else. What abides is the ruling class Establishment, and they want as many guns out there as they can pump into the system. If you don't understand why that is, you haven't done much analysis. No one is coming to take your guns. Guns and violence among the sheep is fine with them. 

Would you say that laws against private gun ownership over the last 20 years have increased or decreased? Does the fact that they increase cause you to fear they are promoting gun rights? How many gun safety courses are sponsored by federal government, to promote gun ownership? Does the NRA receive any funds from the federal government?

Would you deny there are powerful legislators at the federal level who wouldn't do exactly as you describe given the proper circumstances? The signs that the federal government isn't fond of, and would like nothing more than to remove all the guns from the nation, are everywhere! Some evidently, just refuse to see them.

First, they'd shut down the arms makers, then the gun shops, then grab all the records, and then announce a time for you to turn them in, and when you didn't, you could expect the ATF or surrogates to blow your doors open.

Astounding, you act as if gun owners would stand for this without firing a shot. You don't consider actions like this on behalf of the federal government would invite the possibility of enormous death? Gun confiscation isn't just a walk in the park, especially in a nation with as many as there are in America.

Where were all the ardent rights protectors when the Patriot Act was passed? Where were all these Constitutionalist Defenders when the rights to privacy were shredded in the phone tapping revelations? Whenever the US government wants to change the rules, they simply change the rules, and the citizenry complies silently.

Calling and writing their legislators, perhaps. Could it be possible that it just wasn't being reported by the MSM? They don't always report what you should know or want to know, but they'll always report what they want you to know. How much takes place behind closed doors on behalf of your federal government that you have no clue of?  I would wager a heck of a lot. So just because you aren't hearing the screams, doesn't mean the screaming isn't happening. But I would submit that should the federal government do what you said they would do above everyone in the country would hear those screams. And that is exactly the reason they don't just come and do it, because they know they have to do it over the course of time.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1

your hopelessness is amazing. please enlighten us sheep on what to do next. I have wasted my life working hard, enjoying my family and hobbies, voting and enjoying food that is bad for me. Now thanks to you I see its all just a mirage. Should we sheep lie down and let the machine run us over and finish the job, Since you claim no one can or has the stomach to fight in this country I guess us sheep should just give up all. Please give us the solutions to our wreched existance. You sir concern me...I am very interested in what kind of music you like....seems with your intense depressing deep understanding of our crummy society that listening at all would be silly.

Would you say that laws against private gun ownership over the last 20 years have increased or decreased? Does the fact that they increase cause you to fear they are promoting gun rights? How many gun safety courses are sponsored by federal government, to promote gun ownership? Does the NRA receive any funds from the federal government?

Would you deny there are powerful legislators at the federal level who wouldn't do exactly as you describe given the proper circumstances? The signs that the federal government isn't fond of, and would like nothing more than to remove all the guns from the nation, are everywhere! Some evidently, just refuse to see them.

First, they'd shut down the arms makers, then the gun shops, then grab all the records, and then announce a time for you to turn them in, and when you didn't, you could expect the ATF or surrogates to blow your doors open.

Astounding, you act as if gun owners would stand for this without firing a shot. You don't consider actions like this on behalf of the federal government would invite the possibility of enormous death? Gun confiscation isn't just a walk in the park, especially in a nation with as many as there are in America.

Where were all the ardent rights protectors when the Patriot Act was passed? Where were all these Constitutionalist Defenders when the rights to privacy were shredded in the phone tapping revelations? Whenever the US government wants to change the rules, they simply change the rules, and the citizenry complies silently.

Calling and writing their legislators, perhaps. Could it be possible that it just wasn't being reported by the MSM? They don't always report what you should know or want to know, but they'll always report what they want you to know. How much takes place behind closed doors on behalf of your federal government that you have no clue of? I would wager a heck of a lot. So just because you aren't hearing the screams, doesn't mean the screaming isn't happening. But I would submit that should the federal government do what you said they would do above everyone in the country would hear those screams. And that is exactly the reason they don't just come and do it, because they know they have to do it over the course of time.

Bella,

I understand your comments. But the evidence does not support the idea that the government is trying to take away your guns.

1. Notice there had been no new Federal gun control laws in the last two administration's, one of each party.

2. Note that gun proponents in government outnumber anti gun officials.

3. Note that gun sales are UP!

SO, no progress is evident to support this idea. Sure, there are some pols blabbing about gun control, but there's no force behind that random blabbing.

Let's talk about previous usurpations of rights. The Patriot Act was well reported. Go back and look. Plenty of high visibility people warned what was in the act. But the masses SUPPORTED IT! They were totally willing to give up rights for some perceived security. No argument! Protect us Big Daddy, protect us!

When the government wants to change the rules, they invent a storyline that will provide cover. They spread it far, deep, and wide, until people buy in, and actually help work against their interest.

So, they have shown without any doubt that they can easily manipulate the public. I have no doubt. But all that doesn't matter much because the policy makers at the highest level have no reason at all to take your guns. It accomplishes nothing of interest to the ruling classes. Why would they care about gun crime, shootings, or mass murder? It doesn't benefit them to do anything to stop this. It's not on their radar at all.

But if you believe it is in their interest, please explain why? What possible benefit would accrue to them to disarm the public? What do they gain? I say nothing.

The ruling class has a deep interest in what the subjects do. But all that concern is about economic activity. And guns is a pretty big part of that economic activity. But, that's an aside. What they want is just 100 million workers putting their noises to the grindstone. If guns make them happy, fine! Give them guns!

See if you can devise a reason the ruling class would care about removing guns.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

your hopelessness is amazing. please enlighten us sheep on what to do next. I have wasted my life working hard, enjoying my family and hobbies, voting and enjoying food that is bad for me. Now thanks to you I see its all just a mirage. Should we sheep lie down and let the machine run us over and finish the job, Since you claim no one can or has the stomach to fight in this country I guess us sheep should just give up all. Please give us the solutions to our wreched existance. You sir concern me...I am very interested in what kind of music you like....seems with your intense depressing deep understanding of our crummy society that listening at all would be silly.

Ha ha. I don't see the connection between your comments and mine. I'm not hopeless at all. My life is very nice. People here were concerned about the government taking their guns away, and all I said was, don't worry, no such thing is going to happen. I should think you'd be happy to hear that.

As for fighting, if you can point to the fight over our lost rights, by all means, correct me. I didn't see it.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

The fact that they have not succeeded in trying to take weapons is not an indication that they are not on a constant vigil taking nearly every opportunity to attack the right to bear arms.

I know you can not honestly believe there is no concentrated effort by a portion of government to regulate / remove guns from citizens.

I wont say what motivates others to own a gun, Me I like all 7 of mine, and it makes me feel better knowing I can load a 38 and have it within my wifes reach when I am outta town. I also like the idea I can hunt if I choose to do so, It is also comforting to know I can use them for protection if the need arrives

There are laws in place in 40 plus states that take away your rights to food, water, property and guns in the event of catastrophic events,  The government can simply move in and move you out, resistance is a crime

Pay close attention to section 201, preparedness and allocations in the link below

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/03/16/executive-order-national-defense-resources-preparedness

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/07/17/2015-17047/health-resources-priority-and-allocations-system-hrpas

http://michaelsnyder.mensnewsdaily.com/2015/05/emergency-powers-give-barack-obama-authority-over-just-about-everything-during-a-major-national-crisis/

I can already hear the cries that these are biased links blah Blah BLAH,  I am a conspiracy nut job blah Blah BLAH these are LAWS in place, if you think this government is above putting you out so 10 of them will have food and water and defense you are in a dream world.