Move over electrons... you are so 2015.

Nismo

Say hello to Phase Velocity.

The speed of light is approx. 300,000 kilometers per second, and it is widely understood that the the speed of light is finite, nothing can travel faster. However, it seems that scientists have discovered that oscillations of light wave crests (Phase Velocity) is now infinite & larger after light strikes newly a developed material. The Phase Velocity of light is infinite because it measures speed thru time, not space. It is believed that they can now squeeze, bend & twist photons... allowing them to be treated similar to electrons. But obviously much, much faster, about a million times faster. Light powered Computers. Crazy.

http://qz.com/532580/scientists-have-found-a-way-to-make-light-waves-travel-infinitely-fast/

Imagine the graphics processing power of this tech in the next gen PS6, X-BOX or PC. There has to be benefit with TV display's, audio-video processors & codecs. We might be able to download all 3 Lord of the Rings (Extended Directors cut) in 3 minutes. :D  Goodbye to all physical media. 

This is a strange thought to wrap your head around, and means the crests of the waves are oscillating through time, but not space.

I have to admit that I am not able to wrap my head around this. The crests oscillate through time, but not space. Ok. So, what will they do in time that will not occur in space?

They did not mention it in the article, but I would suspect it has something to do with Graphene. There have been many scientific breakthroughs recently in that area. Graphene is the thinnest, lightest & strongest compound known. It is pure carbon & by small I mean small... 1 atom thick. Strong as in 300x stronger than steel. Graphine is transparent, its so thin, it has length & width... but no height (making it a 2D substance). It also has tremendous conductivity properties, with exceptional electron mobility values, making it the most electrically conductive material discovered. Based on these remarkable properties, Graphene superconductors are just one area being developed. 

Graphene can be "grown" in honeycombs layers (and the resulting pattern forms a zero gap semi-conductor) that meets at a Dircac Cone (or point). From what I gather the the Phase Velocity comes into play with the possible development of a Graphine Prism (their supposed new "material"). The Dircac points combined with the Prism, meet at what is called Momentum Space. Zero-gap conductivity, momentum vectors combined with motion & Prisms might be where the time vs. space claim must come into effect (everything constantly occupies the same space, so its measured in time with the ripples of Phase Velocity).

Graphene has many applications. It can be woven into garments (to replace Kevlar). Its so strong a sheet (the thickness of your average plastic wrap) could support the weight of an elephant. It can potentially be combined with semi-conductors to create cloaking devices. Large TV displays could be folded up & put in your pocket. Computers the size of a credit card. It can be mixed with ink & you can print electronics just as we print newspapers today. Kinda makes 3D printing seem primitive. Some are using it to split water into oxygen & hydrogen atoms (to produce hydrogen powered fuel cells). Flakes of Graphene can be mixed with paint, applied to your car & a biometric reader will start your vehicle just by placing your hand on your car (or set a security alarm, sync your music library, or import GPS routing profiles). Hey, I just turned my Phase Velocity thread just turned into a Graphene thread. (lol)

But Graphene & Phase Velocity could create some amazing speaker technology. Speakers the size of your entire wall(s) hung like wallpaper. Same for your display. How's that Marty McFly?

Edited by Nismo

Mmmkay.......  Pocket organic molecules in oriented graphene packets, transfer them via Phase Velocity through time/space continuums then reconstitute the molecular entity........  et voila -  Teleportation perhaps through time.  Deanimation, engineered molecular storage, unit transport, then reanimation.  

Speed = D/T that's what defines speed. If you remove D (distance) you are no longer talking about speed. It reads to me like they are describing frequency, which is a measure of oscillations. They might be saying that the frequency can be infinite under some conditions?

Oscillations are still expressed in terms of speed.

If a man travels faster than the speed of light, will he understand the gravity of the situation?

According to Einstein, mass increases as an object approaches light speed. Note this is mass, which is independent of gravity.

It's the other way around.  Mass is inversely proportional to velocity.

I think Don Richard is right on this one. As an object approaches the speed of light, it's mass increases infinitely and you can't accelerate an object with infinite mass because it would take infinite energy.

Speed = D/T that's what defines speed. If you remove D (distance) you are no longer talking about speed. It reads to me like they are describing frequency, which is a measure of oscillations. They might be saying that the frequency can be infinite under some conditions?

I think they are more typically expressed in Hertz. Eg. His amplifier began oscillating at 40Khz.

Re thinking: speed can also be applied like this: Man, that's a fast amplifier. Meaning it has a rise time of 50 volts per micro second. That sorts meets a definition of speed define as distance per unit of time. But..... That is not related to oscillations!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Edited by jo56steph74

I think they are more typically expressed in Hertz. Eg. His amplifier began oscillating at 40Khz.

Re thinking: speed can also be applied like this: Man, that's a fast amplifier. Meaning it has a rise time of 50 volts per micro second. That sorts meets a definition of speed define as distance per unit of time. But..... That is not related to oscillations!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I see what you mean.  It's just a bit difficult to dispel the idea that something oscillates more quickly than another thing.

If a man travels faster than the speed of light, will he understand the gravity of the situation?

According to Einstein, mass increases as an object approaches light speed. Note this is mass, which is independent of gravity.

It's the other way around.  Mass is inversely proportional to velocity.

I think Don Richard is right on this one. As an object approaches the speed of light, it's mass increases infinitely and you can't accelerate an object with infinite mass because it would take infinite energy.

I'm not fat... I just move too slow.