Love my Tundra

Pete H

I was a GM guy for 30+ years and had to finally put my GMC 2500 down (RIP) and I picked up a Tundra which was truly difficult after all those years with GM, but after logging the first 10,000 miles in a Tundra, I just absolutely love this truck and that's no kick in the arse to GM,as they served me well over those years, but this is really fun to drive and still a great performing truck.

• Like 2

• Moderators
I was a GM guy for 30+ years and had to finally put my GMC 2500 down

My Gm truck is 26 years old, but it is taken apart to be painted and I expect it to outlast me, but it does only have 45k miles and only pulls a trailer or goes to the hardware store.

Glad you like the Toyota, had a little Toyota PU once , it was fun to drive and great gas mileage.

• Like 1

2011 Tundra here. 1st new vehicle I've ever owned, as I couldn't find any deals in the used market without high milage.

Last truck was an '89 Toyota which I kept for 19 years after buying used. Truck before that was an '89 Toyota which was totalled after 3 months of ownership. Terrible accident. Both vehicles were totalled, but I walked away without a scratch. Can't say enough about the brand.

I only wish Tundras came with a manual transmission. Felt like a rental vehicle for the 1st 6 months...

2013 Tundra TTS here. I dont have the link, but I did hear that Tundra is now the most American made truck. The first one I bought brand new was 2001 and still have it, actually gave it to my grandson. It has 380,000 miles and still runs like a top. It still has factory AC and very few things have been changed under the hood shy of regular maintenance items. They are the Ever Ready of trucks, they take a beating and keep ticking. The only downside is if you need a REAL truck to haul something heavy, Tundra aint gonna cut it. I hope they come out with more than a half ton truck in the future.

My personal daily driver is a 2008 Tundra SR5 with the 4.7L V8.  Runs like a champ and i've never had a problem.  

I work for a company that manages major heavy civil construction projects and we buy Tundra's for all our construction guys.  The guys love 'em and they never break down.  

Edited by FuzzyDog

Awesome Pete. Did you pull a heavy trailer or haul heavy loads requiring a 2500 series truck? Tundras are great vehicles but won't quite do the heavy work a HD truck will. They are made very well, 5.7 ltr?

I use to pull things with 2500 but my company has an F550 so I really don't need my truck to pull anything over a few thousand lbs. and that's rarely.  It has the 5.7 and it's the most responsive engine I've ever had in a truck.  I did hook up an equipment trailer weighing around 8,000 lbs. just to give it a run and it pulled it great, but would need to have trailer brakes put on for sure if that was going to happen frequently.  I'm not going to do much to the truck, add a sway bar to the rear (it's a limited, not a TRD so none was standard), open the exhaust a bit and switch out some lighting. 

The stereo (JBL system) leaves a bit to be desired, but I'm obviously spoiled so I'm doing a little research and seems like the general opinion is that the head unit is the biggest problem and not the speakers themselves, but I need to keep digging into that and for now, it's OK. 

• Like 1

I was a GM guy for 30+ years and had to finally put my GMC 2500 down

My Gm truck is 26 years old, but it is taken apart to be painted and I expect it to outlast me, but it does only have 45k miles and only pulls a trailer or goes to the hardware store.

Glad you like the Toyota, had a little Toyota PU once , it was fun to drive and great gas mileage.

I've owned 4 over the years, a couple of 1/2 tons that were both sold with over 200,000 and running great, a 3500 dually diesel that I sold to a friend with 330,000 that was also running great and my 2500 that at 275,000 was still plugging away but it was time for the motor to be rebuilt and many of the accessories weren't working properly, but again, no complaints, they served me well.  I trust this one is going to do the same, as I normally drive my trucks for 7-12 years.

• Moderators

They are nice trucks and I hope it last you longer than you need. (probably will)

I don't want a newer truck I checked they all come with a feature i can't stand..........a high price. So I will stick with my old, old looking truck, funky body style and all, I'm cheap.

The biggest problem i have with mine is the tires are rotting from sitting and the red paint has turned a strange color pink  :o  :blink: So I will paint it but probably not change the tires until i plan on using it again, haven't changed the oil in 2 years  :blink: but over 2 years it didn't get 500 miles. Really I guess it's probably just going to rot down unless i need to haul something. :(

Edited by dtel

I have the 4.6 and get about 15-19 mpg but since I put exhaust on it, I get more like 12-15 if I'm lucky. Like them dual exhaust with glass packs.

I did not care for the stock dash lights so got them changed out. Check out the blue, much better.post-29959-0-71660000-1446698421_thumb.j

post-29959-0-76260000-1446698441_thumb.j

Night time looks much better!