What Exactly is Terrorism?

Jim Naseum

Terrorism is the use of violence, or threat of violence to further a political or religious agenda.

Here's a tidbit.  This law has been on the books in Texas for ages.

Sec. 22.07. TERRORISTIC THREAT. (a) A person commits an offense if he threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with intent to:

(1) cause a reaction of any type to his threat by an official or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies;

(2) place any person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury;

(3) prevent or interrupt the occupation or use of a building, room, place of assembly, place to which the public has access, place of employment or occupation, aircraft, automobile, or other form of conveyance, or other public place;

(4) cause impairment or interruption of public communications, public transportation, public water, gas, or power supply or other public service;

(5) place the public or a substantial group of the public in fear of serious bodily injury; or

(6) influence the conduct or activities of a branch or agency of the federal government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state.

You just have to love it.

I hate the hate crime concept.  Is that a hate crime?

Only if you act, and I don't mean Broadway.

So by acting to end hate crime legislation in favor of crime legislation, I commit a hate crime?

Hating isn't a crime, but "acts" of hate can be. 

Terrorism is the use of violence, or threat of violence to further a political or religious agenda.

I think that's correct, providing by violence, you mean interpersonal violence.  I wouldn't consider damage to property terrorism, as in the instance when the kid was charged with terrorism when he blew up someone's mailbox, or when someone takes a sledge hammer to an unoccupied car.  That's vandalism, even when it is done to further a political or religious agenda.  To be terrorism it has to inspire terror relative to loss or injury of human beings, not material loss.

• Like 1

I think the combination of religious with political, pretty much covers "any philosophical agenda." For example, we had Eco terrorists in the 80s.

The FBI says this: https://m.fbi.gov/#https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

So under "domestic terrorism"

"Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law"

So people texting while driving at the same time are terrorists? (in my state anyway)

How about drinking and driving? All terrorists I guess.