r/c cars?

Paducah Home Theater

Anybody into these things? Looking at some Christmas presents for the kids. Considering the Traxxas Raptor and Stampede. I've always wanted the Summit but it's pretty expensive for a kid. We have several Toys R Us vehicles but they're junk, trying to get rid of them and replace them with something decent. We live out in the sticks so it has to have some decent sized tires, I don't have access to a manicured track.

• Like 1

They are really fun and a kid can learn a lot about mechanical things from them. I don't own any (I have no kids) but one of my friends does and they are fun!! Even for us adults!!! :D   My friend isn't mechanically inclined so I end up working on them for him, I kinda stopped because I thought the kid who is 12 should be able to do most of the stuff by now but he just can't get the hang of it. He sure can break them real good though! You can upgrade the plastic axles and drive shafts to metal ones so they don't break as often, they still get damaged......bent....etc....over time.

If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind doing some occasional repairs, upgrades, maintenance I would say go ahead and get one they are fun.

• Moderators

one word...

NITROMETHANE !!! :emotion-21: 

YES but not for a kid, I had a R/C boat that ran on 25% nitro, it was NO toy.

It was .65 cubic inches and roughly 3 HP at 30,000 RPM, it ran 70+ mph, it was a little scary.

• Like 2

• Moderators
LMAO, and everyone participating in the "What is Terrorism" thread should look at this and then go back to that one!

Some people only love to debate (beat a dead horse) needs that, and a few could use an enema, not voluntarily  :o  :D   

• Like 2

I was into r/c cars many years ago... raced them at a local track with friends.  Had well over a grand into my set-up.

My preference at the time was Associated RC10T (electric), but always wanted to go Traxxas if I made the switch to nitro.

It was all stolen (along with most of my electronics) when my house was broken into, and I didn't have the cash to replace at the time, so I lost interest.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with Traxxis if you're going Nitro.

YES but not for a kid, I had a R/C boat that ran on 25% nitro, it was NO toy. It was .65 cubic inches and roughly 3 HP at 30,000 RPM, it ran 70+ mph, it was a little scary.

NOT for all kids.  For the right kid, YES!!!  How better to learn and develop a respect for high performance at an early age?  I was riding motorcycles at 5, racing by 8 years old.  I watched and learned.  By the time I was 10 I could tear down and rebuild the top end of a 2-stroke in no time,

Just my 2 cents.  Don't ever short change a kid.  You never know what may be lurking in there, justy waiting to bloom :emotion-21:

• Like 1

Anybody into these things? Looking at some Christmas presents for the kids. Considering the Traxxas Raptor and Stampede. I've always wanted the Summit but it's pretty expensive for a kid. We have several Toys R Us vehicles but they're junk, trying to get rid of them and replace them with something decent. We live out in the sticks so it has to have some decent sized tires, I don't have access to a manicured track.

Spend the big bucks, you only live once and kids only grow up once.

Now the good part, they WILL grow tired and break them after awile, then you can take them over.

Spending big bucks is what it takes for quality sometimes, but fixing it is easier than the cheap stull.

I dont know what price range you were thinking about, $250 per to $350 is decent.

And this only because you also need the controllers.

Besides is cool when you are a kid to "Be Cooler" when all your buddies have "C' Note specials. 

• Like 2

Yeah probably no nitro. This is for a 7 year old who has never had a decent car.

Minermark the trucks I were looking at was like $200 for the bigger wheeled truck and $260 maybe less for the Raptor. The raptor seems to come with better batteries, shocks, maybe a couple other things, plus it just looks cool and has actual BFG replica tires. Not sure if I'd be shooting myself in the foot in terms of running across grass or whatever though. Also not sure how important 4wd is.

5806-Raptor-3qtr-White_m.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

Yeah probably no nitro. This is for a 7 year old who has never had a decent car.

Minermark the trucks I were looking at was like $200 for the bigger wheeled truck and $260 maybe less for the Raptor. The raptor seems to come with better batteries, shocks, maybe a couple other things, plus it just looks cool and has actual BFG replica tires. Not sure if I'd be shooting myself in the foot in terms of running across grass or whatever though. Also not sure how important 4wd is.

4X4 for sure, it, for a kid gets stuck less.

Dammit man 7!

$4bones tops, that way the quality is there so you can easily get parts on the Bay.

At this range of price/quality/controller are decent.

Sorry, it is what it is.

• Like 1

4 bones tops, it is what it is, what does that mean?  Is 200-260 still too cheap or are you saying don't spend more than that? 

As for being 7, I also have a 12 year old daughter and am wanting to get them into it before her childhood is gone, which is probably in about a year or two. 

I have wanted a Summit for years, it has remote actuated lockers you can use on the fly plus low range.  If I were doing it I'd be doing more rock crawling than racing. 

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

What sucks about the cheap ones like the Toys R Us variety is that the gas/reverse/steering is always either on or off, there is no infinitely variable controls.  People keep buying these things as gifts but they don't work so well. 

• Like 1

What sucks about the cheap ones like the Toys R Us variety is that the gas/reverse/steering is always either on or off, there is no infinitely variable controls.  People keep buying these things as gifts but they don't work so well. 

Ok, i'll give a hint, research tonight, the net/web.

Punch up the Bay/amazone is great for reviews.

It seems the more you spend on some R/Cs, the "Easier the controll"

Keep in mind, the more you spend now, the longer it will be around.

You are buying this for you, think that way.

Come-on we are guys, we dont want the same POS our friends have.

By this time next Next that thing will be in you're garage.

• Like 2

I am into RC big time!!! I fly helis and drag race 1/5 scales every Saturday Night!!! I don't know what your budget is but, look into the HPI line of vehicles, I have two HPI Baja's a 5B and a 5SC both with full race motors about 6.5 hp and all the goodies to go with them. we race 132' using a Christmas Tree, lots of fun!!!

Edited by canyonman
  • Like 2

• Moderators

YES but not for a kid, I had a R/C boat that ran on 25% nitro, it was NO toy. It was .65 cubic inches and roughly 3 HP at 30,000 RPM, it ran 70+ mph, it was a little scary.

NOT for all kids.  For the right kid, YES!!!  How better to learn and develop a respect for high performance at an early age?  I was riding motorcycles at 5, racing by 8 years old.  I watched and learned.  By the time I was 10 I could tear down and rebuild the top end of a 2-stroke in no time,

Just my 2 cents.  Don't ever short change a kid.  You never know what may be lurking in there, justy waiting to bloom :emotion-21:

True, it was a blanket statement to cover the dumbass kids who don't pay attention which are many these days.  But your right you will surely learn respect for high performance playing with nitro in these little engines. A car would be a little safer, that boat had a Beryllium copper serface prop, when running it demanded respect or a trip to the hospital.

With Nitro it was a little sensitive to even weather conditions, you would have to make little carb adjustments depending on the weather to make it run it's best.

• Like 2

When I was little I bought a Traxxis Rustler kit and building it was extremely rewarding and a cool experience. I was also able to fix it and upgrade things because I knew exactly how it was put together. It is really fun to rally it around the neighborhood etc and a good mix of speed and off road ability. DO NOT GET GAS! Unless you are serious about it and willing to put a lot of time and energy to keep it up.

Its a different experience but RC rock crawlers are actually a lot of fun. My buddy had one and its a blast to see what kind of obstacles you can take it over. Its a slower pace but you wont break stuff as often  and is actually more rewarding than just zipping a truck around your neighborhood:

• Like 2