Spotify and Pandora issue

Paducah Home Theater

If I'm listening to online music, a song will start and will sound ok.  About 20 seconds in it will open up, much more treble, and the abrupt change makes it sound very harsh.  I'm guessing it's caching up then it opens up the bandwidth when it gets ahead enough but I'm not sure.  I have a 30+ meg fiber optic so it's not exactly slow.  Just real aggravating because like every song does this, on two different services, even the installed executable on Spotify.  Does this go away if you upgrade to the premium paid service?  This only happens on my computer, it does not do this on my Marantz receiver which can use Pandora directly.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

It might. I have both Pandora and Spotify services, and have not had any issues on either's premium line. I do however, recall having issues with Pandora randomly dropping and upping quality in the middle of tracks though. Perhaps that's the issue and it is indeed related to a bandwidth issue on the account.

I listen to Pandora, Spotify, Amazon radio and iTunes and none of my music does that Metro. Not sure what is happening for you. I use a Pure i20 ipod dock with toslink output into my pre/pros and I don't have any change in levels. Sounds like that would really suck.

Just to add, none of my streaming services are premium pay sites outside the Amazon Prime thingy...

Edited by teaman

I notice lots of streaming issues/bandwidth issues, started a few years back.

I think about it this way.

There is NO other time of year when the worlds homes are not packed with visitors, kids are gaming, movies abound, and music streaming, talk about pushing the envelope :o

One day the world will be Fiber, last i heard was BackBone main trunks are 80% completed.

Problem is all the ISPs getting it ran to their place, then to our homes.

Just think of it like this, it could be worse, we could still all be on copper :o

• 2 weeks later...

So, the issue apparently is that every time I or a technician tested the speed, it was always during business hours.  At night or on the weekends, apparently I have some NetFlix addicts or something around me, because my speed is dropping to 3 mbps even on nearby servers and like 1.8 for servers in Washington and L.A.  I'm supposed to have over 30.  So, the streams are choked.  The phone company is having to order a $250,000 load balancer to fix it and it won't be operational for 1-2 months.  For the time being I can't even watch YouTube videos at night even with fiber optic to the house.  Aggravating.  During the day it's always around 25 mbps.  

• Like 1

I've been streaming Spotify Premium through my laptops for a few years now and it's kinda freaky how reliable/dependable Spotify has been. 

That said, I gotta run.....my laptop just started on fire.

Get cable and drop the phone company.  I don't have problems and I am a cheapie with only basic service.  My download speed is around 50 mbps, he, he.  On a serious note, with the phone company I couldn't do 44 kb/s.  They have not update the infrastructure in years, +25.

Edited by derrickdj1

Get cable and drop the phone company.

I will install a Verizon wireless router before I stoop so low as to revert back to ComCast.  They sent me a cable modem out of the blue when I was moving to the temp house we lived at for a year.  I tried to transfer service when we sold our house but they just cancelled my original plan, then basically never came out to where I moved to, but I kept the modem thinking they were going to install service there like they said.  I called several times to no avail.  In the meantime, they reported the cable modem on my credit score which dinged me, and I realized this right when we were converting our construction loan to a mortgage, and I didn't have time to get it fixed.  Really ticked me off.  I had to limp by using a cell phone's bluetooth hotspot thingy for an entire year plus had my credit score dinged even while virtually begging them to let me give them money for service, on a house that was sandwiched between two other houses that had comcast. Even when we did have them it went out all the time due to ice and trees.

• Like 1

Get cable and drop the phone company.

I will install a Verizon wireless router before I stoop so low as to revert back to ComCast.  They sent me a cable modem out of the blue when I was moving to the temp house we lived at for a year.  I tried to transfer service when we sold our house but they just cancelled my original plan, then basically never came out to where I moved to, but I kept the modem thinking they were going to install service there like they said.  I called several times to no avail.  In the meantime, they reported the cable modem on my credit score which dinged me, and I realized this right when we were converting our construction loan to a mortgage, and I didn't have time to get it fixed.  Really ticked me off.  I had to limp by using a cell phone's bluetooth hotspot thingy for an entire year plus had my credit score dinged even while virtually begging them to let me give them money for service, on a house that was sandwiched between two other houses that had comcast. Even when we did have them it went out all the time due to ice and trees.

Yup.

(Language Warning)

Could possibly be a software issue.....I've seen some sound card drivers that will automatically detect the program and apply an equalizer to the system. I prefer to turn off all that nonsense. Game modes, music modes, skype modes, etc...

As far as your bandwidth concerns, reduced bandwidth will generally reduce HF extension. It should not affect the lower frequencies at all (unless it's a really bad codec). I've streamed Pandora over my phone in the car for a long time - the lower bandwidth modes of their codec never caused a tonal shift in the music. It just gets more mp3'ish sounding.