Pioneer SC-85 Elite 640.00

TasDom

Boy that is tempting, but the3y just don't make them like they use to.  The amp is 135 wpc rated at 1 khz 2 channels driven).  Even their totl uses the same amp.  I can't give up my Denon 5800 (170 wpc rated from 20 to 20k all 7 channels driven).  Big difference. 

Anyone who doesn't have a receiver, this is a good deal, I am just having trouble giving up my old receiver. 

• Like 1

The ad says "holiday wrap up event" and clearance item, no shipping available, pickup in local store only.

There were none available within 250 miles of my location in West Virginia, which means nothing in Columbus, OH, Cinci, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and probably Washington, DC.

Tiger... you should do it, My 85 has been a godsend.

The sc35 was great... the sc85 is superb. The new mcacc pro is much better than the older mcacc of the 35, and the 85 has the ess9018 dac chipset.

I think I paid $975'ish otd for my 85.

Edited by Schu

The sc35 was great... the sc85 is superb. The new mcacc pro is much better than the older mcacc of the 35, and the 85 has the ess9018 dac chipset.

Tiger,

I understand your dilemma because my NAD T773 is a musical beast also and once I replaced it with my NAD pre/pro and Acurus amps I was unsure what to do with it.  I sure did not want to get rid of such a great piece. It now drives my Heresys with an NAD C542 CD player in my spare bedroom.  

Bill

Edited by willland

I don't know.  I have not used the sc 35 very much but I do like it.  Working way too many hours. 

I am planning on moving the SC 35 to the bedroom to drive a set of quintents. 

I think that I am going to run the 5800 with an optical out from my TV for mow in 5.1.  By the time I do a big remodel on the family room and hook up the 7.1 new stuff will be out. 

Still looks like a great deal on the 85 though. 

There's a reason why all the AVR's that don't support HDCP 2.2 are all on-sale now.  Great deals can be found, like the SC-85 in the OP, if you're not concerned about 4K or you tend to upgrade AVRs every few years.  However, if I was on the market for an AVR to last me the next 5+ years, which I sort of am, then I would be looking at one that supports HDCP 2.2.

Two things to consider in favor of this deal:

1. The top tier D3 amps have a stated rating sure....but have also been independently tested, consistently on several occasions over the last four years, at >100 watts 7 channels driven below 0.1% THD+N regardless of load.   40 lbs of chassis and power supply that deliver essentially lightning in a bottle. :emotion-21:

2. The buzz regarding HDCP 2.2 is moot. Compliance issues span the entire life of HDMI and date all the way back to HDCP version 1.0 and DVI. In short, avoid running DV through a receiver where possible. :emotion-55:

• Like 1