Hope and Dreams...

Gorm

Dang, I dunno about that. What were they new?

I think I paid $550 for the pair I bought brand new in 1985.  That was when there was little or no discounting from list price by Klipsch dealers.  I think Heresys were $800 a pair then, somewhat over of my budget, and I really liked the way the KG4s filled the room with bass from those 12" passive woofers.  My apartment rocked with those things!  My 18 year old son has them in his room now.  

Today I think about $300 is a fair price for a good condition pair of KG4s.

• Like 2

Begs the question of something I see far too often. What is it about those passives that they're always punched in? Seriously...I think I may have see ONE pair where the passives weren't caved.

Mine are nearly 31 years old, and the dust caps are perfect.  The passive woofer dust caps are exposed and easy to bump into when moving the speakers, so they must be handled with care.  I still have the original boxes in my attic. I have moved 4 times since I bought them (the last time was 23 years ago), and every time they moved in the original boxes.

• Like 3

Begs the question of something I see far too often. What is it about those passives that they're always punched in? Seriously...I think I may have see ONE pair where the passives weren't caved.

Mine are nearly 31 years old, and the dust caps are perfect.  The passive woofer dust caps are exposed and easy to bump into when moving the speakers, so they must be handled with care.  I still have the original boxes in my attic. I have moved 4 times since I bought them (the last time was 23 years ago), and every time they moved in the original boxes.

Not only this ^^^^^^^^^^, BUT ALSO, KIDS!!!

I sold my Quartets to my sister in absolute perfect condition and her younger son who was entirely to old to know better, not only pushed the dust caps in, but colored on them with crayons and pushed a hole through one with a screw driver, because they are out of plain sight!

Reminds me of a Christmas as a young boy, when I was at my cousins house who is 9 months older, who had just gotten a small, real tool set for Christmas and I watched him open it for Christmas. After opening presents, I followed him to the back bedroom where I watched him close the door, and he started drilling holes in the wall with his new hand crank drill in the dry wall, where they would not be seen when the door was open. I immediately went and ratted him out, because he had a past habit of doing stuff like this and blaming it on me!

Truth be known, I will bet kids that truly need a major good butt kicking are a MAJOR culprit as well !!! ;)

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 4

I paid $125 a few years ago for a pair. A,B,C'ed them with Belles, JBL 4411's, and Epic CF-2. Sold them soon after.

Do you still have the 4411?

That I do! I have owned two pairs of L-112. Ran them stacked. Several pairs of 4311. 4333a's (wish I still had THOSE!) I know the L112's are supposed to be the best bookshelf ever made in that period and long after, but in my listening area the HPM-100 beat them by a slight margin. Still have those, too. I have WAY too many speakers!

I paid $125 a few years ago for a pair. A,B,C'ed them with Belles, JBL 4411's, and Epic CF-2. Sold them soon after.

That I do! I have owned two pairs of L-112. Ran them stacked. Several pairs of 4311. 4333a's (wish I still had THOSE!) I know the L112's are supposed to be the best bookshelf ever made in that period and long after, but in my listening area the HPM-100 beat them by a slight margin. Still have those, too. I have WAY too many speakers!

I'm looking for a pair of woofers for mine. (4411)