La Scala rehab, part 2

Matthews

You guys make it sound like the K-55V spring terminal drivers suck. They don't. They are not a driver you need to "stay away from!"

I certainly have not found any faults with the ones I have used.  Likely to flip the solder lugs after a quick A/B sound check.  Seems they will bring more money...

I've been debating sticking with black which would just mean a little fill and paint or going to the effort with cherry veneer... but I've got at least 3 projects ahead of that one.

I have always wondered what a pair of black La Scala's would look like sanded down.  I would think some of the black pigment would remain in the wood grain, perhaps a very pleasant effect.  Sand em' down and finish with a shinny dress, exotic? 

• Like 1

I've been debating sticking with black which would just mean a little fill and paint or going to the effort with cherry veneer... but I've got at least 3 projects ahead of that one.

I have always wondered what a pair of black La Scala's would look like sanded down.  I would think some of the black pigment would remain in the wood grain, perhaps a very pleasant effect.  Sand em' down and finish with a shinny dress, exotic? 

Actually, my plan at this point is to leave the inside of the doghouse black but veneer the outer sides in cherry.  I've seen some pictures of La Scala's like this and I thought it was pretty sharp.  It would certainly save some time as well!  Not sure how I'd treat the fronts... thinking I could edge band and veneer the front.  If I really want to make it nice I might cut a sheet of veneer big enough for the the whole front and then route out the veneer from the holes and doghouse.  That way the grain would be continuous throughout.  The leftover could always be saved for a small project on another day.

I have more ideas than time (or skill... or patience)

• Like 1

Actually, my plan at this point is to leave the inside of the doghouse black but veneer the outer sides in cherry. I've seen some pictures of La Scala's like this and I thought it was pretty sharp.

Yes, I too have seen that variation and agree with you, "muel", pretty sharp   :emotion-21: 

I have more ideas than time (or skill... or patience)

You and me both my friend :smile:

Looking good! How do you manage to come upon all these deals??? ..and...you work way too fast, slow down, you're making some of us look bad.

Thanks "Grizz" :)

I find stuff just by keeping an eye out and search often.  Have to tell you, these are wearing me out.  12 hours days all week long.  Been going in early to work on them and stay late.  Just two more days -WooHoo- and done!!!

I think they are going to turn out nice :ph34r:

• Like 1

Matt - just checked out your post. I really don't think you will like the finished product. I'll <begrudgingly> take em off your hands...

Great job they look awesome!

Edited: there was supposed to be a big smiley face emoticon in there somewhere!

Edited by ryanm84
  • Like 1

Is that cherry stain, and where did you end up getting the cane grill cloth from?

"Dude", it is Cherry stain, by Minwax.  Got the cloth from MojoTone.

Matt - just checked out your post. I really don't think you will like the finished product. I'll take em off your hands... Great job they look awesome!

Thanks "ryan" :)  - this pair is coming home with me on Monday after a full day of dry time. I do have another pair that will be coming up for sale very shortly.  You are welcome to those, for a small fee :D

• Like 3

Hey Matt you can swing by and pick my black LaScala's and do your thing with em....lol lol

Oh.... I'll pull the the horns and woofer's out and re-install them...I mean I gotta help alittle bit :-)

MKP :-)

• Like 1