pipe organ music

totalcomfort

Can you play SACD?  If so, and if you like classical, quasi-classical, and romanticist pipe organ music, there is Midnight at Notre-dame in surround sound.  If you don't have an SACD player, you can play it in 2 channel on a CD player.  It has 4 by Bach, and one each by Mozart, Wagner, Berlioz, Rachmaninov, & Prokofiev.

To play an opening that goes down to the very low 16-ft 32 Hz C, find a good recording of the Bach Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor:

The D minor's 16' D should be around 38Hz.

That should separate the K-horn's bottom  from the LaScala's.  Good recordings will show how seamless going up and down the scale is the K-horn bass horn and system.

This thread and its offshoots have a fabulous array of great organ works!  It also brings back memories of super-knowledgeable forum members now lost to time.

Edited by LarryC
  • Like 1

Pomp and Pipes is a classic with plenty of bass action and highly accessible pipe organ repertoire.  My favorite remains Virgil Fox "The Fox Touch" direct to disc vinyl.  With the right sub, you MUST make sure nothing breakable is near the edge of a shelf.   Voice of experience here...

Bear in mind C0 is 16.5 Hz. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Very nice, Dave!  Where was the organ recital done, and what orchestra and venue for the full orchestral version?

The work is in C of course, so that the final descending scale ends on the bottom note of the usual pedal ranks.  The slow "movement" (actually the second half of movement I) is in D-flat, so that its lowest pedal note is 34 Hz.

Actually, the score in that slow half-movement at the point where the lowest notes are to be sounded says "32 pieds" -- 32 feet.  Indeed, in the Munch recording on RCA, one can actually (or seemingly) hear what sound like 32' notes, i.e., 17Hz.  It seems like it, anyway.

Hearing and seeing this in a well-done performance would be totally thrilling.

Edited by LarryC

To play an opening that goes down to the very low 16-ft 32 Hz C, find a good recording of the Bach Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor:

The D minor's 16' D should be around 38Hz.

That should separate the K-horn's bottom  from the LaScala's.  Good recordings will show how seamless is the K-horn bass horn and system.

This thread and its offshoots have a fabulous array of great organ works!  It also brings back memories of super-knowledgeable forum members now lost to time.

It should be noted that one of PWK's stated design aims was to build a speaker that would reproduce what he quantified as 98 percent of the music repertoire.  For him, that meant C1, the 32Hz fundamental of a pipe organ as he was a devotee of that instrument and donated the current organ in the Hope church he attended.  So, that is why the K'horn is good to 32Hz.  While there were many instruments capable of C0 at 16.5Hz there weren't many recordings at the time that could capture it and he felt th size of the speaker required to do so was simply prohibitive.  It was, and would have been commercially non-viable.  His genius was tempered with common sense and a business head as well. 

Dave

OK, not an organ piece, but the Overture 1812 has got some nice moments.  Listen to the whole thing, but the bass fun starts about 12:00 and is good to the end.

Be sure and turn your system up nice and loud as the ending is very relaxing when played loud. Try it and then report back here with your reaction.  B)

Edited by wvu80

Very nice, Dave! Where was the organ recital done, and what orchestra and venue for the full orchestral version?

Here are the Youtube notes on the Jonathon Scott organ recital:

Jonathan Scott performs his arrangement of the Finale from Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony (No. 3) on the 1895 T.C. Lewis organ of Albion Church, Ashton-under-Lyne, UK.

I didn't see any notes on the symphonic version.  I tend to like the modern recordings because of the superior recording equipment they use now days, but what will tip the scales for a listenable version of a piece is tempo. 

It's not that I like something played fast or slow, but if it is played at the "right" tempo it just becomes the definitive version for me.  How do I define "right" tempo?

I know it when I hear it.  B)

Edited by wvu80