DeanG

Jeff Matthews

At the end of the day, we shouldn’t kid ourselves as none of us are really relevant and once we are gone, not many will realize there is a difference.  As years go by, the evolving forum community may show some little trinket of respect from time to time, but our ideas will completely be ignored by the younger members.  We wake up one day and realize that our forum civilization is completely gone.  Who knows, those that stand on our shoulders may just make it a better place.

• Like 1

OK, time for me to sound off.

I valued my relationship with Mark Deneen.  I learned much about debate and other things from him and our discussions were extremely stimulating.  I miss them. 

However, there came a time when I perceived he was a danger to this Forum.  I value a LOT of relationships on this Forum and had to take a stand.  I chose the Forum.  I am not sorry. 

The moderators here are all voluntary.  We are not Navy Seals.  We make mistakes and try to learn from them.   But I respect all who serve now and those who've stepped down for various reasons.  Chad isn't Amy.  He has to man the engine room as well as maintain order.  He has my respect for putting up with all this and for listening to us as well as the Forum members.  He provides guidance but doesn't order us around. 

We take more grief than you can imagine.  But it's worth it for those who love and respect the heritage of Paul Wilbur Klipsch. 

As to "intellectual property," that whole line is crap.  Once posted, it's public domain.  Mark should be grateful that Klipsch and Chad went to considerable trouble to delete it as he had no right to ask nor did they have any obligation to do so.  Frankly, I cannot conceive of writing that much stuff then asking for it to be destroyed.  Having been a part of it I know much of it was really quite valuable.  Worse, thousands of responses to his work went with it he had no right to have any say over.

I don't do grudges.  I wish Mark, and all who leave this place for perceived grievances long life and prosperity.  I miss them all.  But the Forum will go on.  We'll meet in Hope in May and I'll hug everyone who will allow it as there is nothing "virtual" about my love for the people here.

It's my hope this all just goes away very soon. 

Dave

• Like 8

At the end of the day, we shouldn’t kid ourselves as none of us are really relevant and once we are gone, not many will realize there is a difference.  As years go by, the evolving forum community may show some little trinket of respect from time to time, but our ideas will completely be ignored by the younger members.  We wake up one day and realize that our forum civilization is completely gone.  Who knows, those that stand on our shoulders may just make it a better place.

Since you all are struggling with the concept of intellectual property, I will help.

Intellectual property is the concept behind ownership of certain classes of intangibles.  Trade marks and assumed names are intellectual property.  So are patents and copyrights.  

All 4 of these are different forms of intellectual property.  They are used for different reasons, and different rules apply to them.

Trade marks are the little logos.  You are not allowed to put a Klipsch banner on a homemade speaker and sell it.

Trade names:  You can't create a company and call it "Klipsch."  

Patents:  Klipsch has patents on its speaker designs.  You can't copy the speaker designs and sell them as your own.  Patents have limited duration (i.e., they expire).  Note that patents are for protecting ideas.

Copyrights protect "content."  Yes, you've seen that word and used it above.  Content includes works of art, such as paintings and novels.  It also includes poems and essays.  

Let's say you write, "Jeff is great.  Jeff is cool.  At least, Jeff learned some things in school. © 2016, Jeff Matthews."  The part at the end is how you copyright your work.  Not technical at all.  It clearly stakes a claim, and legally, it is how it is made.  You can register a copyright with the USPTO, but you don't have to.

Having covered all those varieties, it should be evident that we are mostly talking about copyrights when we talk about "content."  Some guys who post schematics they dreamed-up would potentially be posting patentable materials as well, and to that extent, the TOS would collectively refer to all of it as "content."

The idea behind the TOS at this and any other forum is that, if you put it on here, you give up any claim to protect it as your own property anymore.  You give up your copyright or patent claims with respect to whatever you post.  

(Of course, there could be some exceptions to that rule, but I don't want to get into that because those types of exceptions are not in controversy and are not likely to be in controversy in the future).

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 3

"""

"Why I Deleted My 29,000 Posts Last Year

Because they were the product of my intellect and creativity.

"""

How delusional.  I certainly don't think my posts are that valuable....jessh.

He isn't the only person to ask for deleted content from my understanding.  I stand by the moderators on this one.....keep em' deleted.

This forum is a great place.  Yes the previous BS forum was a "cesspool" as he called it: but realize he was a main contrinutor to make it that way.

He was a brilliant contributor to Home Audio and hopefully doesn't tarnish that legacy.

• Like 1

• Administrators

To all others (who aren't Mark Deneen) - I apologize that the silly, childish behavior of one person has soured some of the conversations around here and in turn affected my own behavior on occasion. I wish to move on, unlike Mark (who even said last year after I deleted his content, "I'm happy that Chad deleted my content as requested so I can move on cleanly to another site." - and we see how long that lasted...) And regardless of his blog which is truly a laugh riot and speaks volumes to who he really is, I shall speak no more of this man who in all reality means nothing to me. Let him talk to himself on his blog all he wants. We should perhaps all do him a solid and stop giving him the attention he so craves.

This forum community is so far from "dead" - we are looking at possible record numbers for our gathering in Hope this year - I think that says enough.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm also sorry to see Dean go. I hope he checks in from time to time. I know he's provided some great info and guidance to others here for quite some time.

Thanks to those who stood up for me a little. It wasn't really necessary, but it is appreciated. 

With that, I lock this thread. You are welcome to continue the "Intellectual Property" discussion in a new thread of course.

Thanks

• Like 5