DeanG

Jeff Matthews

I was wondering who that Raig-whatever member was with over 20,000 posts.  These name-changes are tough to follow.

Maybe the forum "bond" isn't as strong as many think.  I see a new name and just look at a few old posts and if the posts let me know who it is, then fine.  If not, I may not have read much the person posted in the past anyway and the name is of no concern of mine.

For the record I think we should differentiate between a name change within an account and being banned and coming back to the forum as a different screen name,..

True.

If banned, I think it's hilarious that no one cried foul almost immediately - which is about how long it took me to recognize his writing style.

No one answered my question - was he banned or did he leave?

He asked to be banned.  He demanded it, actually.

Then, he came back under "Jo."  I knew he couldn't keep away.

After a few kerfuffles in the Lounge (because he did not have 5,000 posts as "Jo,"), "Jo" was banned.

• Like 1

For the record I think we should differentiate between a name change within an account and being banned and coming back to the forum as a different screen name,..

True.

If banned, I think it's hilarious that no one cried foul almost immediately - which is about how long it took me to recognize his writing style.

Yeah, he started out purposefully littering his posts with typos for cover.  However, the intellect in him just wouldn't allow him to be so sloppy.  He cleaned it up, and then, it became obvious.

Mark has been a very valuable person in my life, even though we never met.

• Like 1

Some people get mad, leave for a year, and then come back using a new username. Some come back anonymously and some don't. Is that okay? What's the difference?

The "tail" is Klipsch, the "dog" is the content. Without the content, you don't have anything. With this forum, Klipsch gets advertising and tech support. This is the only company sponsored audio forum that relies on the community to provide tech support. This was Mark's point - without the content providers - there is no "forum".

This, of course, hits the nail squarely on the head.  I am still at a loss as to why this was ever pointed out.  Something must have happened to give rise to this point.

Exactly, I tend to believe in the Red Bull school of thought as they are one of the companies that really understands how to capitalize on "content" of their fans across many media platforms.  I see Red Bull embracing content, not running them off.  I'll always remember Red Bull more from our flugtag homemade flying machine over anything else. 

I tend to believe that maybe in understanding the marketing value of content is where Amy's marketing expertise really benefited the forum the most.

Some people get mad, leave for a year, and then come back using a new username. Some come back anonymously and some don't. Is that okay? What's the difference?

The "tail" is Klipsch, the "dog" is the content. Without the content, you don't have anything. With this forum, Klipsch gets advertising and tech support. This is the only company sponsored audio forum that relies on the community to provide tech support. This was Mark's point - without the content providers - there is no "forum".

This, of course, hits the nail squarely on the head.  I am still at a loss as to why this was ever pointed out.  Something must have happened to give rise to this point.

Exactly, I tend to believe in the Red Bull school of thought as they are one of the companies that really understands how to capitalize on "content" of their fans across many media platforms.  I see Red Bull embracing content, not running them off.  I'll always remember Red Bull more from our flugtag homemade flying machine over anything else. 

I tend to believe that maybe in understanding the marketing value of content is where Amy's marketing expertise really benefited the forum the most.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not the one who has to manage this nursery school.

• Like 4

Red Bull is a company I know for their former instant Formula 1 success. You couldn't pay me to drink the slop they hawk in cans.

True.

Honestly, the lounge for the most part I wasn't interested in but wish some of those folks were allowed to BS with us, within the "new" rules which involved civility---Just the ketchup thing alone is when I stopped paying attention to the dude... Edited by Zen Traveler

"Raigeki" is a Yugioh card. Yugioh is a Japenese card trading game. The card reads:

"Destroy all monsters your opponent controls."

The thread had "turned personal" long before page 12. I wanted it locked. How did I do?

People should be applauding the fact that Mark was able to have final say on what happened with HIS intellectual property. For this he's villianized? Mark is a prolific writer, no pithy posts from Mark. You ask a question and you're getting the thorough and complete two page answer. I once suggested to Mark that he save his posts and write a book covering a range of topics.

Mark enjoys teaching. His preferred method is challenging established and often incorrect paradigms. Though he could sometimes make it personal, the goal was to get the person to dig a little deeper into their brain. He once called me "a Bronze Age goat herder". Oh yes, I was upset, but that thread resulted in me completely reaccessing aspects of my belief system - and I ended up the better for it.

I still don't know if Mark was banned or asked to have his account closed and posts deleted.

No one is perfect. I guess no one here has violated anything in the terms of service? No trolling, baiting, veiled or blatant personal attacks? When it comes to violations, I would consider Mark to be very low on the list of offenders.

I think the one obvious trolling incident was an act of curiosity for the purpose of gauging the health of the forum. "How will the remaining brain trust respond?" Man, I totally get it. My last two emails were from people asking me to help them get to earbleed listening levels without causing earbleed.

Mark was being dragged through the mud for several pages, and my few posts were met with instant antagonism. The thread was locked as soon as I decided I'd had enough. I guess I'm not part of the clique anymore.

Dean,

Mark also enjoyed setting up the maze to see how the rats would run through it....

roger

So true.  You could see it coming from a mile away, and they'd still take the bait.

Within my 1st two posts with him I got this, then when I did take a breath, step back and watch how he operated, I just laughed at not only myself, but at how he did things.

Say enough for you to come back for more, but not too much for you to leave.

I am by no means as book educated as some on here, and don't have the same writing abilities, but this much I could understand.

After a few kerfuffles in the Lounge (because he did not have 5,000 posts as "Jo,"), "Jo" was banned.

He was banned only after It was proven that JoSteph/MrCatsup/JimNaseum was indeed Mark.  No kerfuffles were harmed in the making of that decision.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 2

Red Bull is a company I know for their former instant Formula 1 success. You couldn't pay me to drink the slop they hawk in cans.

I never had a Red Bull or "energy" drink of any kind.

Not really the point as I'm not trying to determine who here is drinking Red Bull as there are a lot of people that wouldn't buy Klipsch either (maybe by taking a page from the Red Bull marketing playbook there would be more).  The point is that the Red Bull strategy of embracing content has been key in transcending the brand into virtually universal name recognition where they are the highest-selling energy drink in the world (e.g., 5.387 billion cans sold in 2013 alone).

From another perspective, I guess that if people do not feel we lose anything of value content-wise or lost anything with forum members leaving (e.g., my satire in the other thread pointed out several valuable "content" providers that have long been gone), that is completely within your right to feel that way; however, I do not necessarily share those views or feelings. 

Let's just forget about any content and just have an automatic thread delete function where a thread older than 180 days automatically is deleted from the forum?  Would that bother anyone if none of us would then need to be concerned with content and it would sure resolve forum posts that seem to get under the skin of some?

Edited by Fjd

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not the one who has to manage this nursery school.

• Like 1

Is loss of the BS forum that big of a deal?

Why come here for non audio BS?  I would rather hunch over a VFW bar filled with cigarette smoke and hear what those folks say in person.  Heck of a lot more entertaining.

Unfortunate a long term member left disgruntled. 

• Administrators

"Raigeki" is a Yugioh card. Yugioh is a Japenese card trading game. The card reads:

"Destroy all monsters your opponent controls."

The thread had "turned personal" long before page 12. I wanted it locked. How did I do?

People should be applauding the fact that Mark was able to have final say on what happened with HIS intellectual property. For this he's villianized? Mark is a prolific writer, no pithy posts from Mark. You ask a question and you're getting the thorough and complete two page answer. I once suggested to Mark that he save his posts and write a book covering a range of topics.

Mark enjoys teaching. His preferred method is challenging established and often incorrect paradigms. Though he could sometimes make it personal, the goal was to get the person to dig a little deeper into their brain. He once called me "a Bronze Age goat herder". Oh yes, I was upset, but that thread resulted in me completely reaccessing aspects of my belief system - and I ended up the better for it.

I still don't know if Mark was banned or asked to have his account closed and posts deleted.

No one is perfect. I guess no one here has violated anything in the terms of service? No trolling, baiting, veiled or blatant personal attacks? When it comes to violations, I would consider Mark to be very low on the list of offenders.

I think the one obvious trolling incident was an act of curiosity for the purpose of gauging the health of the forum. "How will the remaining brain trust respond?" Man, I totally get it. My last two emails were from people asking me to help them get to earbleed listening levels without causing earbleed.

Mark was being dragged through the mud for several pages, and my few posts were met with instant antagonism. The thread was locked as soon as I decided I'd had enough. I guess I'm not part of the clique anymore.

Mark threatened to defecate on my boss' desk if I didn't delete his account. How's that for being a hero? And then he emailed my boss twice and even sent a letter to our legal department complaining about the BS forum afterwards. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. As long as I'm the admin here, he's simply not welcome - regardless of his past "content".

Guess what, after I banned him again last week, he sent me an email declaring this forum "dead" and even had the gall to insinuate that he tried to "save it" with his new account and his new all-important "content", while also complaining about our VOLUNTEER moderator team that does its best to keep the rabble-rousers in check per our TOS (nobody's perfect, indeed).... Meanwhile I know the real stats and we've actually been gaining activity steadily the past 12 months. 

• Like 5

I actually saved a thread from the BS section in which a picture was shown of somebody defecating on the American Flag.  Mark's response was "it is no big deal. it's just a Flag."

I rarely get upset with anything on this forum but I was dissapointed and upset with that comment.  It was then I realized I had no business over there. 

• Like 2

So this guy leaves mad  a year or so ago and demands all his content deleted....and then comes back cloaked as someone else (that many here knew and made it known right off the bat) and then gets in a tizzy over posts in the old cheese section and gets that deleted?    

How the heck did the tail and I mean THE TAIL wag the dog here?

your order is wrong. his departure, post deletion, and BS forum sabotage all took place last year around the same time.

• Like 1