DeanG

Jeff Matthews

I dislike seeing any member of a on-line community post less, leave, etc. and view such departures as true losses to the collective knowledge. Even ALK who told me I needed to not use any amplifier with less than 50 WPC with my Klipsch speakers I did not want to see leave.

I was shocked to find out that when I drove my 375 wpc amp to ear-bleeding levels, I was only pushing 60 watts.  So, AlK was not too far off from base.

BTW, it was Craig (NOSValves) primarily who led me to this revelation.

I'm old enough and hopefully wise enough now to not blast music that loud anymore. At least not when I'm sober with the women that frequent the place about.  :)

The funny thing is that because it has these "credentials" which must be "earned," people are thinking admission must be some kind of prize.  A few have made it recently, but I think they were underwhelmed with what they saw.

or, probably in over their heads...........

It doesn't help much at all that the cards are considerably stacked in there vs: a conservative either.

Roger

Jeff,

I think that he just figured if he couldn't play any more, that he didn't want anybody to be able too. You have his email, ask him why he did it?

It changes it not by only excluding me, but also allows members in that have the 5,000 posts. Some guys can run up that many in a VERY short time.

Roger

I don't have to email Mark to know he had no voice in why the 5,000 post-count barrier was thought to be appropriate.  This was a tactical decision by Klipsch, which, of course, is its prerogative, so I am not challenging it or even really being critical of it.

Actually, the 5,000 post threshold to entry was an arbitrary number proposed in the old BS room before it was shut down. 

I know this because I had just learned the "secret handshake" to follow the "infamous" Baltimore thread (e.g., one of the threads that started this long spiral downward) then spent a week reading well over 2,000 posts in that forum to get a better perspective of the overall character and nature of the room participants, in addition to, individual temperament displayed.  Unfortunately, it was shut down just before I was ready to post.

The funny thing is that because it has these "credentials" which must be "earned," people are thinking admission must be some kind of prize.  A few have made it recently, but I think they were underwhelmed with what they saw.

Maybe some type of retrospective analysis would show that post count may not be a reliable predictor of who would benefit from the "room" or how to keep those types of topics of interest out of the main forum. 

• Like 2

"Raigeki" is a Yugioh card. Yugioh is a Japenese card trading game. The card reads:

"Destroy all monsters your opponent controls."

The thread had "turned personal" long before page 12. I wanted it locked. How did I do?

People should be applauding the fact that Mark was able to have final say on what happened with HIS intellectual property. For this he's villianized? Mark is a prolific writer, no pithy posts from Mark. You ask a question and you're getting the thorough and complete two page answer. I once suggested to Mark that he save his posts and write a book covering a range of topics.

Mark enjoys teaching. His preferred method is challenging established and often incorrect paradigms. Though he could sometimes make it personal, the goal was to get the person to dig a little deeper into their brain. He once called me "a Bronze Age goat herder". Oh yes, I was upset, but that thread resulted in me completely reaccessing aspects of my belief system - and I ended up the better for it.

I still don't know if Mark was banned or asked to have his account closed and posts deleted.

No one is perfect. I guess no one here has violated anything in the terms of service? No trolling, baiting, veiled or blatant personal attacks? When it comes to violations, I would consider Mark to be very low on the list of offenders.

I think the one obvious trolling incident was an act of curiosity for the purpose of gauging the health of the forum. "How will the remaining brain trust respond?" Man, I totally get it. My last two emails were from people asking me to help them get to earbleed listening levels without causing earbleed.

Mark was being dragged through the mud for several pages, and my few posts were met with instant antagonism. The thread was locked as soon as I decided I'd had enough. I guess I'm not part of the clique anymore.

• Like 5

"Raigeki" is a Yugioh card. Yugioh is a Japenese card trading game. The card reads:

The thread had "turned personal" long before page 12. I wanted it locked. How did I do?

People should be applauding the fact that Mark was able to have final say on what happened with HIS intellectual property. For this he's villianized? Mark is a prolific writer, no pithy posts from Mark. You ask a question and you're getting the thorough and complete two page answer. I once suggested to Mark that he save his posts and write a book covering a range of topics.

Mark enjoys teaching. His preferred method is challenging established and often incorrect paradigms. Though he could sometimes make it personal, the goal was to get the person to dig a little deeper into their brain. He once called me "a Bronze Age goat herder". Oh yes, I was upset, but that thread resulted in me completely reaccessing aspects of my belief system - and I ended up the better for it.

I still don't know if Mark was banned or asked to have his account closed and posts deleted.

No one is perfect. I guess no one here has violated anything in the terms of service? No trolling, baiting, veiled or blatant personal attacks? When it comes to violations, I would consider Mark to be very low on the list of offenders.

I think the one obvious trolling incident was an act of curiosity for the purpose of gauging the health of the forum. "How will the remaining brain trust respond?" Man, I totally get it. My last two emails were from people asking me to help them get to earbleed listening levels without causing earbleed.

Mark was being dragged through the mud for several pages, and my few posts were met with instant antagonism. The thread was locked as soon as I decided I'd had enough. I guess I'm not part of the clique anymore.

Dean,

Mark also enjoyed setting up the maze to see how the rats would run through it....

roger

• Like 2

Dean, I think you summarized Mark very well.  His mode of argument was an "all-in" approach.  Until you just reminded me, I forgot how he called you a "Bronze-Age goat herder."  LOL!  That's just his style.  You could either take it, or you needed to bow-out.  Most people couldn't bow-out with dignity; they always had to take one or more parting shots.

I think there are others around here who are far nastier and suspicious than was Mark.  But I'm not a cop, nor do I care to be.  I don't pay real close attention.  I just have my fun.

• Like 1

Dean,

Mark also enjoyed setting up the maze to see how the rats would run through it....

roger

So true.  You could see it coming from a mile away, and they'd still take the bait.

• Like 1

or, probably in over their heads...........

It doesn't help much at all that the cards are considerably stacked in there vs: a conservative either.

Roger

What???? Mark made you only think the cards were stacked in the direction you claim, but there always have been more people who consider themselves Conservative posting in there and it hasn't changed.

Maybe some type of retrospective analysis would show that post count may not be a reliable predictor of who would benefit from the "room" or how to keep those types of topics of interest out of the main forum.

Believe me, EVERYONE articulates that but we are told it's beyond our control. I liked the reason for entry in the last place because it REALLY made sense and given what we've seen recently, still does. That said, Jeff said it best--Not my decision.  

So this guy leaves mad  a year or so ago and demands all his content deleted....and then comes back cloaked as someone else (that many here knew and made it known right off the bat) and then gets in a tizzy over posts in the old cheese section and gets that deleted?    

How the heck did the tail and I mean THE TAIL wag the dog here?

I'm confused.  Who came in with a name change, made posts, as a different individual.  Dean?  Mark?

So somebody was upset...are we talking about Mark...and then left?

Some people get mad, leave for a year, and then come back using a new username. Some come back anonymously and some don't. Is that okay? What's the difference?

No one answered my question - was he banned or did he leave?

The "tail" is Klipsch, the "dog" is the content. Without the content, you don't have anything. With this forum, Klipsch gets advertising and tech support. This is the only company sponsored audio forum that relies on the community to provide tech support. This was Mark's point - without the content providers - there is no "forum".

Some people get mad, leave for a year, and then come back using a new username. Some come back anonymously and some don't. Is that okay? What's the difference?

No one answered my question - was he banned or did he leave?

The "tail" is Klipsch, the "dog" is the content. Without the content, you don't have anything. With this forum, Klipsch gets advertising and tech support. This is the only company sponsored audio forum that relies on the community to provide tech support. This was Mark's point - without the content providers - there is no "forum".

This, of course, hits the nail squarely on the head.  I am still at a loss as to why this was ever pointed out.  Something must have happened to give rise to this point.