Sling TV? Tired of giving DISH my money!

JL Sargent

I've had it a couple of months... not bad but not perfect.  The app can be a little buggy on the iPhone but using it on a Roku 2 works pretty nice.  I figured out the idiosyncracies so I can deal with it fine.  The color on some channels is a little too vivid sometimes.  ESPN was a little pixilated and not as clear as it was on Dish.  Depends on your connection at times I'm sure.  Give it a try... I bought three months and got a free Roku 2.  If I don't keep the service after 3 months I'll still have the Roku.  By the way... Roku sucked on wireless!  I'll only use it wired.

Amazon's interface is crap compared to Netflix.  Seems to renegotiate a lot compared to Netflix as well.  However, good stuff available if you can find it...

Dave

I don't watch a lot on Amazon, but when I do, I've never had a problem with it and didn't notice any difference compared to Netflix, but I'm averaging 30+ download speed and that may be the reason.  I get everyone wanting to dump high cable/satellite bills but I have yet to talk with anyone that ends up getting the channel selection that would cover the programs and channels that I watch along with the simplicity of the DVR networked through RG6, but that's me.  I know that between directv, high speed cable and phone, my bills are beyond where I would like them, but I have zero hassle or complaints about equipment or service.

• Like 1

We used OTA, Netflilx, and Sling TV at home.  Internet speed is 18mb up and 2 down.  I wish I had our school internet speed at home...550mb down and 200 up.  :D  I really only have SlingTV for ESPN so I may cut it off as I don't think any others in the house watch it.  Well, maybe my son on his iPad.  In the living room, I use an Amazon Fire Stick running KODI and have all sorts of other add ons for other channels, movies, etc.

Before I turned off Satellite, we were paying $125 a month to Dish and $55 for 6mb DSL internet.  Now, I'm paying $55 for 18mb cable internet, $8 for Netflix and $22 for SlingTV.  So about $85 for everything, including internet, versus $180 before.  If I drop SlingTV off till football season, I'd be back at $63.

Edited by avguytx
  • Like 1

I've got DSL and only measure at about 3Mbps download. Barely enough bandwidth I'd say but my cellular service is far better.

Will DSL stream it at HD quality? I've had quality issues with Amazon Prime.

It varies... I've had great quality at times but then it will be worse than SD other times.  It is good enough that it doesn't bother me too often.  

• Like 1