For Vinyl Guys Only.....No One Else

Tarheel

Ha.....I knew you would peek :)

Thinking about cartridges and some of the favorites are getting kind of long in the tooth.  Anything new and special in the sub $500 category?   Wondering too what Dave's impression of the Ortofon 2M Black is after some play time (yes I know it's north of $500).

What do you guys really like and why?

Wondering too what Dave's impression of the Ortofon 2M Black is after some play time

They'll pry it from my cold, dead hand...  Got my K'horns and I was done with speakers.  2M Black and likewise with cartridges.  Are there others at higher prices that might be better?  Probably, but given you'd need more TT than I could afford and I'd find those improvements marginal at best...I am done!

Dave

• Like 1

Gotta say I really like my Ortofon Blue....for the money, it's pretty darn nice.

At the time, I did the Black because I had a fat bonus to spend my share of.  My understanding is the difference is largely the Shibata cut of the Black.  Fact that the stylus replacement is 500.00 would support that.

Dave

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thinking about cartridges and some of the favorites are getting kind of long in the tooth. Anything new and special in the sub $500 category? Wondering too what Dave's impression of the Ortofon 2M Black is after some play time (yes I know it's north of $500).

What are you going to put it on?

• Like 1

Thinking about cartridges and some of the favorites are getting kind of long in the tooth. Anything new and special in the sub $500 category? Wondering too what Dave's impression of the Ortofon 2M Black is after some play time (yes I know it's north of $500).

Hey Travis.....should I buy one it will go on a Denon DP-1250 direct drive with a low mass ADC arm.  I bought it refurbished around 2006 and it was basically a DP-1100 but without an arm.  Lots of folks installed the Grace 707 with success.  The table is fully manual and was near the top of the Denon line.  It holds speed perfectly.  I have used a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge ($800) for 7 or 8 years and was thinking the hours on the cartridge may be getting on up there.  I don't listen to vinyl a lot but sat and listened to 3 lps back to back at a good volume.  I thought it sounded great!  I know its about $500 to retip :mellow:.  Frankly I wonder if that's too much cartridge for the Denon. 

post-17365-0-72640000-1459425353_thumb.j

post-17365-0-26040000-1459425381_thumb.j

post-17365-0-57640000-1459425437_thumb.j

Edited by Tarheel

Hey Travis.....should I buy one it will go on a Denon DP-1250 direct drive with a low mass ADC arm.  I bought it refurbished around 2006 and it was basically a DP-1100 but without an arm.  Lots of folks installed the Grace 707 with success.  The table is fully manual and was near the top of the Denon line.  It holds speed perfectly.  I have used a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge ($800) for 7 or 8 years and was thinking the hours on the cartridge may be getting on up there.  I don't listen to vinyl a lot but sat and listened to 3 lps back to back at a good volume.  I thought it sounded great!  I know its about $500 to retip :mellow:.  Frankly I wonder if that's too much cartridge for the Denon. 

You may be able to retip for cheaper, there are a few guys around that do it for about $150.00 with no issues. Soundsmith may be around $350.00.

Since I got back into vinyl, I have tried a boat load of cartridges. The 2M Black is very nice, the Bronze as well on records that aren't top notch, as well as the Ortofon OM40 (Black), and OM30 (Bronze). I have a Digitrac I am selling which is the 2M Bronze and OM30 before they were what they are. It's made by Ortofon and is a nude super elliptical tip and can be done with new replaceable stylus.It's brand new in the box with all equipment. I am selling as I already have the other 2 that are comparable.

I also have the ADC XLM MKII improved and MKIII with shibata stylus and redone custom line trace (each one was $150.00 to retip). Stanton 681EEE with an original 6800EEE stylus that I had retipped with a line trace as it was worn out ($150.00), a 681EEE with a Jico D6800EEE Shibata ($144.00 for stylus). Then there is 2 Ortofon VMS 20E MKII carts,one has the original 20E MKII stylus, and one has an upgraded 30E MKII Jico stylus ($67.00).These are moving iron carts and are very open and detailed. I actually like the VMS30E MKII better than the 2M Black and OM40 as it has slightly more to it in the high end to my ears.

I have 2 Stanton 881S MKII's with an original D81S stylus, and a custom D81S stylus that was redone with a cactus cantilever and shibata tip ($165.00)

For MC, I have 2. Both are from SAE (Coral), the 1000LT HOMC,and the 900LT LOMC. They are LT tips as well.

I've tried many more in the last 18 months, but keep coming back to the shibata and line trace tips more than the others, and seem to like the moving iron more than the others.Any of the cartridges I have can be purchased for less than $500.00,and even with upgrades will be less than that. I don't seem to like the Japanese carts as much as they usually have slightly less output and are blander to me. I tried the Denon DL-110 and didn't like it, the SAE 1000LT blew it away. I've tried AT (11,12,13,14,15,series) and didn't like the sound either,not bad, just bland to me.Having said this, the Jico stylus are wonderful.

You'll notice almost all my carts are from the 80's as well. Everything I have tried that's newer gets sold and I keep going back to those carts.

If you're curious on pricing for a retip,let me know and I will get you names of the people who do it, 2 are in the UK, 1 The Netherlands, and 2 here. I f you like your cart that much, do the retip. I have a JVC 4MD-20X which I just purchased that the seller lied about on the stylus.He refunded my money and said keep it. It is identical to the AT 14Sa (AT14S stylus). You can have it for free.You'll just need a stylus which you can get for about $100.00 on the bay. The JVC is made by AT, but the specks on this are better than the AT specks, and this is a $350.00 cart.

One thing I forgot to mention, I have 3 tables, a Dual 701, Hitachi HT-500, and JVC JL-F45.2 of the 3 tables have LM arms and all these carts do very well on them.The 3 carts on them seem to have a better bass response,clear mids and highs and are very open musically offering an almost 3d image.With my tubes, they are even more open and on the SET give excellent imaging.

post-59264-0-05400000-1459428942_thumb.j post-59264-0-28760000-1459428952_thumb.j post-59264-0-37760000-1459428964_thumb.j

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

FYI, in case anyone is interested; I have a source that was able to sell me the 2M Black for $475-$500 new. I have asked if they are still available and the current price. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments Jim!  Back in the 70s I had a Pickering with a brush like the one on your Stanton.

I gave a Thorens TD-165 to someone here on the forum.....can't remember who but it included a Stanton 500. That combo wasn't that good as I recall.

Thanks Mike....there are a couple of guys on ebay with 100% feedback (Japaan, Germany) selling them for $356 new in unopened box....$11 shipping.